Every year, a new beauty trend comes to the fore, and we keep going ga-ga over it until something new blows our mind again. But some classic beauty trends seem not to fade away. Hair serum is just one of those evergreen beauty practices that are here to stay. No matter your hair concerns, you can fix it instantly with a small dose of hair serum. So, if you are yet to incorporate this fantastic product into your hair care regime, we are here to tell you why you must do it right now. In this post, let us unveil all hair serum benefits and how to apply them.
What Is Hair Serum?
Hair serum is an innovative hair styling solution that enhances the beauty of hair while taking good care of its health. The potion treats hair at its surface level rather than penetrating the cuticles. It builds a protective layer around hair shafts to shield them from the aggressions of environmental factors, heat styling, and harsh chemical products. It also boosts the texture and shine of the locks by curbing frizz and reflecting light. In addition, you can get soft and tangle-free hair instantly by applying it. In short, it is designed to serve the purpose of a quick hair fix instead of a deep hair conditioner.
Hair serums can be found in the market in both leave-on and rinse-off forms. They can also be chosen based on the types of hair.
Read Also – Top 5 Hair Serum Recipes To Try At Home
What Is Hair Serum Made Of?
The primary component of any commercial hair serum is silicon. It is a non-metallic, volatile chemical element that forms a plastic-like protecting coating around each hair shaft to keep the hair tangle-free and make it feel silky smooth to the touch. It also reflects light that falls on the hair, making it look gleaming. However, the silicone used in hair serums is lightweight and does not weigh the hair down. Moreover, it evaporates eventually, which results in very little or no build-up on the scalp. Other ingredients in hair serums are ceramide and amino acids, which reduce breakage and hair fall by averting the loss of moisture and protein and strengthening the fibers from the inside.
Who Can Use Hair Serum?
Hair serums are primarily designed for dry and damaged hair, protecting protective elements until the next wash. While it works wonders for taming frizzy and unruly manes, the reality is that this magical product suits all hair types and addresses a spectrum of hair-related concerns. Whether your hair remains troubled despite a regular shampoo-conditioner-mask routine, you’re dealing with dry ends from chemical processing, or your locks are excessively frizzy and prone to tangling, it’s time to consider incorporating a hair serum into your routine. There’s a suitable bottle for everyone.
Differences Between Hair Oil And Hair Serum
Hair oils and hair serums are similar in texture and color, so the terms are often used interchangeably. But they are NOT the same. Here is a breakdown of how they differ from each other (1):
- Hair oil is a nourishing and conditioning haircare treatment for our mane, penetrating deep into the strands and enhancing their health. On the other hand, hair serum is a styling aid that sits on the top of the strands and coats them from the outside to provide protection.
- Hair oil mainly contains fatty acids to lubricate hair shafts and replace the lipids to prevent breakage and split ends. But hair serum is a silicon-based product that seals the cuticles and locks in the natural pattern of the curls.
- Anybody can use hair oil irrespective of the type of hair. Our hair should be oiled at least twice every week to stay healthy. But hair serum mostly suits thick, curly, and unruly mane. It is also used for achieving smooth and glossy hair that can be styled easily.
- Though highly advanced technology has made lightweight hair oil formulations with multi-functional benefits a reality, most hair oils can weigh your tresses and make them feel heavy. However, lightweight hair serums neither make the hair look limp nor cause build-ups on the scalp.
How Does Hair Serum Benefit Hair?
Our hair gets exposed to harsh sunlight, extreme humidity, harmful pollutants, toxic chemicals, and excessive heat from styling gadgets daily. All these cause extensive Damage to the delicate strands of hair. While the practices of oiling and washing help us get rid of the dirt and grime accumulated on the scalp, they do not protect the hair from environmental, chemical, and heat Damage. This is where the hair serum comes into the picture. Here is how the product can benefit your locks:
1. Provides ProtectionProtection hair serums form a plastic-like protective coating around the hair shafts, which prevents Damage caused by environmental aggressions (sun, pollutants, humidity, etc.), chemical processing, and heat styling.
2. Reverses Damage
Amino acids in hair serums help repair the Damage caused by chemical treatments like perming, coloring, etc., while averting further Damage during heat styling.
3. Adds Gorgeous Shine
Hair serums reflect the light that falls on the hair, instantly making even the dull and lifeless hair appear shiny and gorgeous.
4. Removes Tangles
Applying a hair serum keeps frizz and tangles at bay by making the hair fibers softer and smoother their texture.
5. Reduces Hairfall
Some strengthening hair serums can strengthen your hair fibers, reducing breakage and hair fall significantly.
6. No Stickiness
Hair serums are lightweight products with zero stickiness. Homemade natural serums can even nourish your hair, and ProtectionProtectiono is offered by oiling sans oiliness.
How To Use Hair Serum?
It is essential to follow the proper application method to maximize the benefits of hair serums. Check out the steps below:
- Find a good quality serum from a reputed brand that perfectly suits your hair’s type and needs. You can also prepare your nourishing hair serums at home by following simple recipes.
- Clean and wash your hair with a mild shampoo and condition it as usual. Skipping the conditioner will also do.
- Towel-dry your hair gently and wait until it remains only slightly damp.
- Take a pea-sized serum and gently rub it between your palms for 5-6 seconds to heat it.
- Work it down your hair from the ear level to the ends, focusing on the length and the tips of the hair.
- Take your hair in small sections and coat the serum with your fingertips.
- Use a paddle hairbrush or a wide-toothed comb to distribute it evenly throughout your locks.
- Now, style your silky smooth hair as you wish.
Read Also – Best Hair Serums For Dry Hair – Top 5 Picks
Dos And Don’ts Of Using Hair Serum
Finally, here is everything else that you need to keep in mind while including a hair serum in your regular hair styling regime:
- Pick the suitable serum based on your hair’s type, texture, behavior, and needs to enjoy the best outcomes.
- A small amount of the product goes a long way. So, do not over-apply it.
- Make sure you warm it up a bit between your palms, as this will ensure a uniform and seamless application.
- Always apply it to freshly washed hair that is slightly damp so that the benefits get locked in easily.
- Do not massage serum into the scalp, as it will clog your hair roots and cause damage to your mane.
- Try to blow dry your hair right after applying the serum to turn it completely dry.
Side Effects Of Hair Serum
Though hair serum does not come with serious risks, you must be aware of the adverse effects caused by silicon in the long run. Too much use of this element can damage your mane, leading to breakage and severe hair fall. Some serums can also dry out the hair abnormally. In that case, you must stop using it immediately and switch your brand.
Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)
Can I Use Hair Serum Daily?
No, you can’t. Commercial serums contain chemicals like silicon, which should not be used on the hair regularly. You can use hair serum twice or thrice weekly for the best results.
Does Serum Cause Hairfall?
The hair serum itself does not cause hair fall. But if you choose the wrong product and apply it the wrong way, you can undoubtedly damage your mane, increasing hair fall.
What Is Better Hair Oil Or Serum?
As mentioned earlier, hair oil and serum have distinct characteristics and benefits. So, they cannot be compared at all. However, hair oil is essential for all hair types, and hair serum is a hair styling choice.
- “Hair Serum Vs. Hair Oil: What To Use And When“, AllThingsHair.com