Our hair is exposed to the sun and pollution every single day. They cause extensive damage to the hair. While oiling and washing helps get rid of any dirt and grime in the hair, it does not really protect the hair from environmental damage. This is where the hair serum comes into picture.
Hair serum is a potion for the hair made of silicon, ceramide and amino acids. The silicon in the hair serum acts like a protective covering to the hair shaft. It prevents the serum from entering the hair shaft and remains only above it. It makes the hair shine and removes all the tangles in the hair. It is mostly used on dry and damaged hair since it protects hair until the next wash.
Also Read – Top 5 Hair Serum Recipes to Try at Home
So how to use a hair serum?
- Hair serum is applied on wet hair.
- Choose a good quality hair serum from a reputed brand when you make the purchase. These days, you get them in sachets too so that you can experiment as to which one suits you best.
- Wash your hair as usual with shampoo. You might want to skip the conditioner. Now gently towel dry your hair. When it is still slightly damp, take a few drops of the product in your hands and work it down your hair from the ear level to the tips of the hair.
- Gently partition your hair strands and coat the serum all over. Now use a wide-toothed comb and give your hair a brush.
- DO NOT apply the serum on the scalp.
- Do not use too much of the product.
- Use only if you have very frizzy or dry hair. The amount of manageability that a hair serum lends is unnecessary for straight and soft hair.
- Hair serum is a leave-in product. Do not wash it off.
Also Read – Best Hair Serums for Dry Hair – Top 5 Picks
How does the hair serum help the hair?
- The silicon in the serum forms a protective coating on the shaft of the hair.
- It protects the hair from the sun and pollution.
- The amino acids in the hair serum helps in repairing any damage that is caused by perming or colouring or any other treatment to the hair.
- Hair serum coats the surface of the hair and reflects and light that falls on the hair. This makes the hair appear shiny.
- Hair serum helps in reducing hairfall that is caused by entangled hair.
- Once applied, the product lasts until the next wash and protects the hair.
- Some strengthening serums ensure that hairfall and hair breakage are reduced.
- It helps hold the hair in place and helps you style the hair easily by making it more manageable.
- It can provide the nourishment and protection that oiling provides minus the oiliness.
Also Read – Best Hair Serums for Oily Hair
So should you go in for hair serum?
The answer is yes, if you have very frizzy and unmanageable hair. The ones blessed with softer straighter hair can still make do with basic shampooing. If you belong to the former category, then do use a serum. There are many serums from popular brands like Dove, Livon, Garnier, Streax and Matrix that are available in India. Use it and see how the wonderful product tames and protects your mane.
Image Credit – Featured