Every year, a new beauty trend comes to the fore and we keep going ga-ga over it until something new blows our mind again. But there are some classic beauty trends that seem not to fade away ever. The use of hair serum is just one of those evergreen beauty practices that are here to stay. No matter what your hair concerns are, you can always fix it instantly with a small dose of hair serum. So, if you are yet to incorporate this amazing product in your hair care regime, we are here to tell you why you need to do it right now. Let us unveil all hair serum benefits along with the right way of applying it in this post.
What Is Hair Serum?
Hair serum is basically an innovative hair styling solution that enhances the beauty of hair while taking good care of its health. The potion works by treating hair at its surface level rather than penetrating the cuticles. It builds a protective layer around hair shafts to shield them from the aggressions of environmental factors, heat styling, and harsh chemical products. It also gives an extra boost to the texture and shine of the locks by curbing frizz and reflecting light. In addition, you can get soft and tangle-free hair instantly by applying it. In short, it is designed to serve the purpose of a quick hair fix instead of a deep hair conditioner.
Hair serums can be found in the market in both leave-on and rinse-off forms. They can also be chosen based on the types of hair.
Read Also – Top 5 Hair Serum Recipes To Try At Home
What Is Hair Serum Made Of?
The primary component of any commercial hair serum is silicon. It is a non-metallic, volatile chemical element that forms a plastic-like protecting coating around each hair shaft for keeping the hair tangle-free and making it feel silky smooth to touch. It also reflects light that falls on the hair, thereby making that look incredibly shiny. However, the silicone used in hair serums are lightweight and does not weigh the hair down. Moreover, it evaporates eventually, which results in very little or no build-up on the scalp. Other ingredients present in hair serums are ceramide and amino acids, which reduce breakage and hairfall by averting the loss of moisture and protein as well as strengthening the fibers from inside.
Who Can Use Hair Serum?
Hair serums are mostly intended for dry and damaged hair that needs protection from all aspects until the next wash. It also works wonder for a frizzy and unmanageable mane that needs to be tamed. However, the magical product, in reality, suits all types of hair and addresses a host of concerns related to them. If you find that your hair is suffering even after a regular shampoo-conditioner-mask routine, opt for a hair serum. If the end of your hair turns dry due to chemical processing, choose it right now. Also, if your locks are extremely frizzy and get tangled easily, it is time to give it a try. Hence, there is a bottle for anyone and everyone.
Differences Between Hair Oil And Hair Serum
As hair oils and hair serums can be of similar texture as well as color, the terms are often used interchangeably. But they are NOT the same. Here is a breakdown of how they differ from each other (1):
- Hair oil is a nourishing and/or conditioning haircare treatment for our mane, which penetrates deep into the strands and enhances their health from inside. On the other hand, hair serum is a styling aid that sits on the top of the strands and coats them from outside in order to provide them with protection and shine.
- Hair oil mostly contains fatty acids to lubricate hair shafts and replace the lipids present in them in order to prevent breakage and split ends. But hair serum is a silicon-based product that seals the cuticles and locks in the natural pattern of the curls.
- Anybody can use hair oil irrespective of the types of hair. In fact, our hair should be oiled at least twice every week for staying healthy. But hair serum mostly suits thick, curly, and unruly mane. It is also used for achieving smooth and glossy hair that can be styled easily.
- Though the highly advanced technology has made lightweight hair oil formulations with multi-functional benefits a reality, most hair oils can weigh your tresses down and make them feel heavy. However. lightweight hair serums neither make the hair look limp nor cause build-ups on the scalp.
How Does Hair Serum Benefit Hair?
Our hair gets exposed to the harsh sunlight, extreme humidity, harmful pollutants, toxic chemicals, and excessive heat of the styling gadgets every single day. Needless to say, all these cause extensive damage to the delicate strands of hair. While the practices of oiling and washing help us get rid of the dirt and grime accumulated on the scalp, they do not really protect the hair from environmental, chemical, and heat damage. This is where the hair serum comes into the picture. Here is how the product can actually benefit your locks:
1. Provides Protection
Silicon in hair serums forms a plastic-like protective coating around the shafts of hair, which prevents damage caused by environmental aggressions (sun, pollutants, humidity, etc.), chemical processing, and heat styling.
2. Reverses Damage
Amino acids in hair serums help in repairing the damage caused by chemical treatments like perming, coloring, etc. while averting further damage during heat styling.
3. Adds Gorgeous Shine
Hair serums reflect the light that falls on the hair, thereby making even the dull and lifeless hair appear shiny and gorgeous instantly.
4. Removes Tangles
Application of a hair serum keeps frizz and tangles at bay by turning the hair fibers softer and making their texture much smoother.
5. Reduces Hairfall
Some strengthening hair serums can make your hair fibers stronger, thereby reducing breakage and hairfall significantly.
6. No Stickiness
Hair serums are lightweight products with zero stickiness. Homemade natural serums can even provide your hair with the nourishment and protection similar to those offered by oiling sans oiliness.
How To Use Hair Serum?
It is important to follow the right method of application in order to maximize the benefits of hair serums. Check out the steps below:
- Find a good quality serum from a reputed brand that suits the type and needs of your hair perfectly. You can also prepare your own nourishing hair serums at home by following simple recipes.
- Clean and wash your hair with a mild shampoo and condition it as usual. Skipping the conditioner will also do.
- Towel-dry your hair gently and wait until it remains only slightly damp.
- Take a pea-sized amount of serum and rub it in between your palms slowly for 5-6 seconds in order to heat it up.
- Work it down your hair from the ear level to the ends focusing on the length and the tips of the hair.
- Take your hair in small sections and coat the serum all over by using your fingertips.
- Use a paddle hairbrush or a wide-toothed comb for distributing it evenly throughout your locks.
- Now, style your silky smooth hair as you wish.
Read Also – Best Hair Serums For Dry Hair – Top 5 Picks
Dos And Don’ts Of Using Hair Serum
Finally, here is everything else that you need to keep in mind while including a hair serum in your regular hair styling regime:
- To enjoy the best outcomes, pick the right serum based on the type, texture, behavior, and needs of your hair.
- A little amount of the product goes a long way. So, do not over-apply it.
- Make sure that you warm it up a bit in between your palms as this will ensure a uniform and seamless application.
- Always apply it to freshly washed hair that is slightly damp so that the benefits get locked in easily.
- Do not massage serum into the scalp as it will clog your hair roots and cause damage to your mane.
- Try to blow dry your hair right after applying the serum in order to turn it completely dry.
Side Effects Of Hair Serum
Though hair serum does not come with serious risks, you must be aware of the adverse effects caused by silicon in the long run. Too much use of this element can be damaging for your mane, which eventually leads to breakage and severe hairfall. Some serums can also dry out the hair abnormally. In that case, you need to stop using it immediately and switch your brand.
Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)
Can I Use Hair Serum Daily?
No, you can’t. Commercial serums come with chemicals like silicon, which should not be used on the hair regularly. You can use hair serum twice or thrice a week for the best results.
Does Serum Cause Hairfall?
Hair serum itself does not cause hairfall. But if you choose the wrong product and/or apply it the wrong way, you can certainly end up damaging your mane, thereby increasing hairfall.
What Is Better Hair Oil Or Serum?
As mentioned earlier, both hair oil and hair serum have distinct characteristics as well as their own benefits. So, they cannot be compared at all. However, hair oil is an essential haircare item for all types of hair and hair serum is a hair styling choice.
- “Hair Serum Vs. Hair Oil: What To Use And When“, AllThingsHair.com