Has it happened to you that after a heavy meal, you have given out a loud belch? Mostly, this occurs because of swallowing too much air. The same reason causes gas in the gastro-intestinal tract, leading to gas in the stomach and bloating. You feel uncomfortable and dizzy from it sometimes. You do not have to be embarrassed about the gas since it is a naturally occurring phenomena, either due to the food you eat or the way you eat food. One way to control the gas and bloating is to change a few things about your food habits. Another way is to try some natural but effective remedies for gas and bloating.
What causes Gas and Bloating
- Swallowing too much air while chewing gum
- Talking too much while eating, which again leads to ingestion of air
- Eating gassy foods like cabbage and legumes and not chewing them well.
- Eating very spicy and oil ridden foods
- Consuming carbonated drinks and alcohol
- Eating more than what your stomach can take.
What are the home remedies for gas and bloating ?
- The most effective remedy for gas and bloating is chewing on Fennel Seeds. It is for the same reason that most Indian restaurants serve fennel seeds after a meal, so as to promote digestion and prevent the bloated feeling from all the spicy and oily food. Chew about half a teaspoonful of fennel seeds after a heavy meal to prevent gas and bloating. Also, if you don’t like the strong taste of fennel seeds, you can make a concoction of fennel seeds boiled in water and drink up that water for relief.
- Carom Seeds or ajwain are another miraculous remedy for gas. Chew on some carom seeds when you are feeling bloated. They stimulate the production of digestive juices that will help digest the food and also get rid of the gas. Chew a spoonful of carom seeds or make carom seed water and drink it through the day to prevent gas and bloating.
- Boil a pinch of turmeric in some water and drink up the water to prevent any bloating. The turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that will soothe the GI tract. It will also fasten the pace of digestion and help you feel lighter fast.
- Mint tea is also a suggested remedy for gas and flatulence. Boil a couple of mint leaves in water and drink up the tea when it warms down. It will help soothe the irritated digestive system and also promote digestion.
- Try some light exercise – like a stroll and deep breathing. This will not just help relieve the bloated feeling, but it will also ease the passage of food through your system.
- Lemon Water – Drinking water that is lukewarm to warm will help flush out all the retained gas and water that causes bloating. Warm up a glass of water and squeeze half a lemon into it. Lemon being a diuretic will help flush out the retained water.
- Eating a slice of pineapple also helps in overcoming gas. The bromelain enzyme in it is a digestive aid that will naturally cure gas and bloating.
So the next time around, eat a little less than your capacity, stroll after your heavy meal and try these home remedies to get rid of gas and bloating.