Who says that beautiful sun-kissed locks cannot be achieved without a professional hair lightening service at a high-end salon? You can easily dye your hair or create smart highlights by using a simple kitchen ingredient like lemon. Here is the recipe that you need to learn for making your hair glisten in the light:
DIY – Homemade Lemon Juice Hair Dye Recipe
It is important to follow the right steps in order to get beautifully lightened locks or attractive highlights on them. Here is the step by step procedure one must follow for this purpose:
- Lemon juice – 1 cup
- Orange juice – 1 cup
- Warm water – (1/4) cup
- Hair conditioner – (1/4) cup (optional)
- A store-bought or homemade deep conditioning hair mask – as required
- A medium-sized mixing bowl
- An empty spray bottle
- A hand whisk
- A hair brush / comb
- A pastry brush (optional)
- A cotton ball (optional)
Also Read – Guide To Dye Your Hair Naturally With Coffee Here
Method Of Preparation:
- Start with preparing the spray dye mixture for your hair. You’ll need 4 to 5 medium-sized lemons for making a cup of juice. Squeeze out the juice only when you are completely ready for carrying out the procedure.
- Extract the juice of the orange too. For a cup of juice, you’ll need 2 to 3 medium-sized oranges. Get the freshly extracted juice only as it offers the best possible results.
- Now, take the mixing bowl and pour warm water into it. Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice to it and whisk for a few seconds with the help of the hand whisk.
- Then, pour the freshly extracted orange juice into the mixture and give a mix with the hand whisk once again thoroughly.
- Finally, transfer the spray mixture to the empty spray bottle. Your homemade lemon juice hair dye is ready to use.
- If your hair is super dry by nature, the citrus mixture will turn it even drier. Hence, you need to add a mild hair conditioner of your choice and give all the ingredients a good mix to ensure an easy application. Remember, this will turn the mixture into a creamy substance and you may need to replace the spray bottle with any other convenient storage container.
Also Read – 7 Easy Ways on How to Remove a Tan Using Lemon Juice
Also Read – DIY: Henna and Coffee Hair Dye for Shiny and Beautiful Hair Here
Method Of Application:
- If you are seeking full coverage, apply the lemon juice lightener all over your hair. Just spray the mixture throughout your locks generously and comb in a gentle manner by using the hair brush. If you want to add beautiful highlights, the procedure should be different. For this, you have to dip the cotton ball into the spray mixture and slide it down the 1” sections of hair you want to be highlighted. Clip the sections separately and repeat the step for a couple of times.
- For people using lemon juice lightener containing hair conditioner, the pastry brush will be helpful for the application. Apply the creamy paste in small amounts to all your hair strands for a complete coverage. The texture of this version of hair lightener is not that suitable for getting highlights.
- Now, go outside and spend time under the bright sun. It will take 1 hour to 1.5 hours for the lemon juice mixture to work on your hair and any changes in the natural color will be visible only after that.
- You have to reapply the dye mixture after 1.5 hours and spend thirty more minutes outside in the sun. Yes, it is a time-consuming process, indeed!
- Wash your hair with plain water and apply the deep conditioning mask generously. Let that sit for 30 to 45 minutes and then, rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Finish off the task of dying your hair with a cold water rinse.
Also Read – DIY- How to Make Henna Hair Oil for Hair Growth Here
Tips And Tricks
Lemon juice hair dye should not be used too frequently as it might end up damaging your hair significantly. There are some other essential tips and tricks that we have listed below for you:
- Make sure that you apply homemade lemon juice dye on your hair on a bright sunny day. Sunlight along with the citrus juices work on the hair to alter its natural shade.
- Adding ‘enhancer’ (freshly brewed chamomile tea, finely ground cinnamon powder, nourishing oils like almond oil or coconut oil, diluted hydrogen peroxide, Cassia plant extract, honey, ) to the dye mixture will strengthen the shade.
- Apply sunscreen all over the open parts of your skin as you need to spend a long time under the sun and hence, protection from the harmful ultraviolet ray is vital.
- This natural dye mixture effects are absolutely unpredictable. Therefore, the shade will differ from person to person.
Wait for at least 3 to 4 weeks to see the complete results of your lemon juice hair lightening efforts. All the best!
Also Read – 7 Best Ways to Use Lime Juice for Dandruff (with Causes and Side Effects)