Do you know what is the best thing about curly hair? The hint of playfulness it adds to the whole look! Needless to say, curls make us look younger and vivacious easily. But it is essential to maintain those vibrant curls by taking the best care of them. How? Well, it starts with choosing the perfect shampoo. If you want your curls to look absolutely gorgeous, opt for a good shampoo that can keep curly hair clean, nourished, and healthy while reducing frizz and taming flyaways. We have prepared a list of 10 best shampoos for curly hair available in India that can resolve your problem just like magic.
Is Shampoo Good for Curly Hair?
Shampoo is one of the most important hair care products that we need to use frequently. No matter whether your hair is straight, wavy, or curly, you need a good shampoo to keep it clean and healthy. But depending on the type of hair, your requirements for shampoo can change. Curly hair tends to lose its moisture and shine easily due to low sebum production. But at the same time, the scalp becomes very oily in curly-haired people. The small angle of the waves in curly hair also makes it very frizzy and more prone to breakage (1). Hence, shampoos intended for it should be able to restore its moisture balance, thereby making it look full of life. Any herbal shampoo made of all-natural ingredients and having ultra-moisturizing properties can be used for washing curly hair effectively. Make sure that it does not contain any kind of harsh chemical compounds.
Always choose shampoos free from sulfates, parabens, phthalates, synthetic colors, fragrances, and other similar ingredients as they are extremely harmful to curly hair.
Read Also – 10 Natural Curly Hairstyles for Black Hair
10 Best Shampoos for Curly Hair in India
These days, many reputed brands are coming up with shampoos exclusively designed for wild curls. Following are 10 most effective shampoos for curly hair available in India:
1. L’Oreal Paris Smooth Intense Smoothing Shampoo
The L’Oreal Paris Smooth Intense Smoothing Shampoo is reinforced with argan oil and silk protein for treating unmanageable, dry, and curly hair effectively. The deep conditioning creme formula nourishes and conditions the curls from root to tip with its essential fatty acid content, making it 10 times smoother and more manageable. It also provides 48-hour protection and shields the hair from the effect of humid or dry weather. As a result, both the texture and the shine of the hair is renewed beautifully.
- Combines argan oil and silk protein
- 10 times smoother hair
- For unmanageable, dry hair
- Strong, anti-frizz smoothening action
- Long-lasting humidity protection
- Deeply nourishes and softens hair
Price: Rs. 150 for 175 ml.
2. Tresemme Keratin Smooth Pro Collection Shampoo
The new Keratin Smooth Shampoo from Tresemme Pro Collection is a lower-sulfate, professional-quality formula that gives salon-style gorgeous curls at home every day. The dual-action Keratin Smooth system infused with keratin protein and lightweight argan oil is known to make curly and frizzy hair 100% smoother and amazingly shiny. Keratin helps strengthen and smoothen hair shafts by forming an additional coating around it while argan oil nourishes and softens them for achieving a straightening effect. Thus, you get gorgeously sleek locks with full of natural movement.
- With keratin and argan oil
- Professional-quality, lower sulfate formula
- Salon-like gorgeous hair at home, every day
- 100% smoother hair with added shine
- Frizz control for up to 3 days
- Ideal for both natural and chemically-treated hair
Price: Rs. 240 for 340 ml.
3. Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Defined Curls Shampoo
The Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Defined Curls Shampoo is enriched with components like wild cherry twist and corn silk extract, which make your curls look plush. The citric acid in it helps in balancing the pH level of the scalp, thereby turning the hair soft and shiny. It also provides protection against scalp infections. The moisture-rich formula with no parabens, gluten, and mineral oil offers 20-hour humidity control
- Formulated with wild cherry twist and corn silk extract
- 0% parabens, gluten, and mineral oil
- Juicy notes of wild berry essences
- 20 hours of humidity control
- Create touchable, defined curls
- Color-safe and pH-balanced
- Frizz-free hair with long-lasting shine
- Gentle enough for daily use
Price: Rs. 215 for 300 ml.
4. Matrix Biolage Smoothproof Camellia Smoothing Shampoo
The Matrix Biolage Smoothproof Camellia Smoothing Shampoo is a paraben-free, hydrating formula that polishes curls and encapsulates them in a protective shield. Being rich in the extract of nature’s water-resistant camellia flower along with a combination of natural oils, it smoothens unruly curls and provides nourishment without weighing them down. It also provides humidity control and anti-frizz smoothness even in 97% humidity.
- Enriched with camellia flower extract
- For curly, dry, and frizzy hair
- Contains no parabens
- Polishes and protects curls
- Ultimate smoothness without weight
- Delivers humidity control even in 97% humidity
- Suitable for color-treated hair
Price: Rs. 380 for 400 ml.
5. The Body Shop Truly Nourishing Banana Shampoo
The Body Shop Truly Nourishing Banana Shampoo is pure bliss for girls with curly hair, especially those who find it really difficult to manage and style. It contains real banana puree and honey that smells good enough to eat it. The shampoo cleanses the hair gently and leaves it manageably smooth and silky. Regular use makes the hair shiny and lustrous through intense nourishment and deep conditioning.
- For normal to dry curls
- Contains bananas from Ecuador
- Infused with Community Trade honey from Ethiopia
- Adds beautiful shine to hair
- Deep nourished, soft hair
Price: Rs. 695 for 250 ml.
6. OGX Kukui Oil Hydrate & Defrizz+ Kukui Oil Shampoo
The OGC Kukui Oil Hydrate & Defrizz+ Kukui Oil Shampoo is a must-have for all curly-haired beauties. It is a hydrating oil-based shampoo containing the ancient Hawaiian secret called kukui nut oil, which softens curls beautifully and gives them a healthy as well as shiny look. It also strengthens hair strands and keeps them protected against rough and dry weather. The exotic blend of ingredients used in the shampoo also contributes to its humidity-resistant nature, which makes every day a ‘good hair’ day by reducing frizz and improving the texture of curls.
- An exotic blend with Hawaiian secret kukui nut oil
- Hydrates and defrizzes the curls
- Gives softer, smoother, and shinier hair
Price: Rs. 725 for 118 ml.
7. Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo
When it comes to nourishing and conditioning curls the most natural way, this Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo is the solution. Enriched with two brilliant natural oils i.e. macadamia oil and argan oil, this product offers utmost care for hair in terms of rejuvenation, revival, straightening, maintenance, and color. This gives even the driest and the most damaged curls a soft and bouncy look. It has no sulfates or parabens.
- Enriched with macadamia oil and argan oil
- Suitable for color-treated hair
- Free from sulfates and parabens
- Ultra-moisturizing shampoo
- Nourishes and conditions deeply
- For dry and damaged curls
- Makes hair soft and bouncy
Price: Rs. 1,700 for 300 ml.
8. Schwarzkopf Professional Bonacure Repair Rescue Reversilane Shampoo
The Schwarzkopf Professional Bonacure Repair Rescue Reversilane Shampoo strengthens curls while leaving them soft and bouncy through its unique biomimetic technology. The Cura + Protein Complex in this shampoo moisturizes hair eliminating dryness and rough ends while its Cell Repair formula repairs hair texture and helps in rescuing the roots. Regular application of the product also cleanses thoroughly, tames frizz, and adds a natural shine to the hair.
- Unique biomimetic technology
- Formulated with Cura + Protein Complex
- Stimulates hair growth significantly
- For fine to normal damaged hair
- Strong curls with a soft and bouncy look
- Extreme moisturization and nourishment
- Cell Repair formula repairs damaged hair
Price: Rs. 840 for 250 ml.
9. L’occitane Intensive Repair Shampoo
If you have curly hair that is dry, brittle, and damaged, this Intensive Repair Shampoo from L’Occitane’s Aromachologie collection is what you need in your life. It contains a patented anti-breakage complex of 5 essential oils – angelica, lavender, geranium, ylang ylang, and sweet orange, which improves microcirculation in the scalp for better hair vitality. Besides, this wonderful oil blend helps in softening, purifying, regenerating, strengthening, and energizing hair effectively. The gentle silicone-free formula also comprises amino acids, pro-vitamin B5, and sunflower oil for making the hair silky, turning it smooth, and protecting it from damage.
- Exclusive Aromachologie product
- Contains a patented anti-breakage complex
- Infused with 5 essentials oils
- Rich in pro-vitamin B5 and sunflower oil
- Adds definition to curls
- Keeps frizz away
- Supple, smooth, and shiny hair
- Beautiful aromatic scent
Price: Rs. 1,750 for 300 ml.
10. Mamaearth Happy Heads Shampoo
The Mamaearth Happy Heads Shampoo is an all-natural product for the overall care and protection of curly hair. It comes packed with amla, bhringraj, horse chestnut, biotin, and natural protein that tame unruly curls, nourish them from roots to tips, and reduce frizz. You can use the product as a gentle cleanser, which promotes healthy scalp and hair. It is also free from all harmful chemicals, such as SLS, paraben, phthalate, dyes and artificial fragrance.
- Suitable for all hair types
- Hypoallergenic, paraben-free, SLS-free
- Contains biotin, amla, bhringraj, horse chestnut, and natural protein
- Cleanses the scalp and hair gently
- Promotes healthy scalp
- Healthy and strong curls
- Controls hair fall
- Free from SLS, paraben, phthalate, dyes and artificial fragrance
Price: Rs. 349 for 200 ml.
Read Also – Straighten Natural Curly Hair without Heat
How to Wash Curly Hair the Right Way?
Now, here are the steps to follow in order to make the most of your each shampoo session:
- Oil your hair at least half an hour prior to shampooing in order to minimize the loss of moisture during the process. Keeping hair oiled for the whole night is even better.
- Dilute your shampoo with a little water before the application so that it becomes less dehydrating and you get more lather.
- While applying the shampoo, massage your hair with your fingerpads and rub it in between your palms. Make sure that you are extremely gentle throughout the step.
- After rinsing out the shampoo well with water, apply a good conditioner to the end of your hair in order to lock the moisture in it.
- Rinse the conditioner off your hair and squeeze the extra water out of it gently by using an old-T-shirt or a microfiber towel. Then, let the hair air-dry completely.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can Shampoo Make Your Hair Curly?
If your hair is not naturally curly, then applying a shampoo will not make it the same. Shampoo cannot change the original structure and pattern of your hair permanently. It is only used to keep the scalp clean and improve the texture of the hair.
How Often Should Curly Hair Be Washed?
Wash your curly hair at least once every week. If you go out and exercise frequently, you need to increase it to twice or thrice.
Which Ingredients Should Curly Hair Avoid?
When it comes to choosing the best shampoo for curly hair, the most harmful ingredients to avoid include sodium laureth, sodium lauryl sulfate, ammonium laureth or lauryl sulfate, alkylbenzene sulfonate, ethyl PEG-15 cocamine sulfate, sodium cocoyl sarcosinate, parabens, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, and so on.
What are the Best Natural Ingredients for Curly Hair?
A natural shampoo for curly hair should contain super nourishing and moisturizing ingredients like shea butter, cocoa butter, wheat germ oil, olive oil, argan oil, macadamia oil, etc.
- “Hair Cosmetics: An Overview“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov