Bright flawless skin and thick lustrous hair are not all an Indian woman desires. A flat, toned belly is also on her wishlist. But achieving a washboard stomach is a real struggle for any Indian lady and maintaining it is even more difficult. The choice of ingredients and versatility of cuisines make us gorge on mouthwatering dishes, which increases the circumference of our waistlines easily. Here comes the importance of a perfect diet plan that promises a flat belly in just 5 days. And guess what? It actually works! So, find below the complete guide for you to the 5-day Indian diet plan to reduce belly fat.
What Causes Belly Fat?
Before getting into the diet plan itself, let us take a look at the common factors that are responsible for depositing stubborn fat in the abdominal area:
- Genetics (1), (2)
- Lack of proteins (3) and dietary fibers in the daily diet (4)
- Poor eating practices like the intake of sugary foods and beverages (5), unhealthy trans fats (6), processed foods, etc.
- Too much consumption of alcohol (7)
- A sedentary lifestyle with less to zero physical activity (8), (9)
- Hormonal fluctuations during menopause (10)
- Not getting enough sleep at night (11)
- Chronic stress caused by the stress hormone ‘cortisol (12)
Excess deposition of fat surrounding the liver and other organs in the abdomen is extremely unhealthy. It may lead to a number of serious diseases like metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular issues, type-2 diabetes, and even cancer (13). People with normal body weight but extra abdominal fat may also be at the risk of developing major health problems (14).
Types of Belly Fat
A big tummy is always inconvenient and getting rid of it is necessary. But it is important to understand that not all belly fat is the same. There are, essentially, two types of belly fat:
- Subcutaneous Fat: It is the protective layer of fat present under the surface layer of the skin i.e. epidermis. Having subcutaneous fat is absolutely normal and it is comparatively less harmful too. However, the cells in this kind of fat are active and their activity level may contribute to certain serious health conditions.
- Visceral Fat: Visceral or intra-abdominal fat is excess and unhealthy fat that is located between the organs and the midsection. While subcutaneous fat is identified easily, visceral fat is pretty hard to determine. But it is known to be highly detrimental as it leads to hypertension, diabetes, cancer, etc.
In most people, a large abdomen is a cumulative effect of subcutaneous fat and visceral fat. It is called ‘abdominal obesity’ when the circumference around the waist measures above 40 inches (102 cm.) in men and 35 inches (88 cm.) in women (15).
Effective Ways to Lose Belly Fat
Weeding off excess fat from the abdomen area needs time, patience, and dedication. Following are the most effective ways to opt for based on science:
- Avoid refined sugar in your diet as much as possible. This also includes foods with added sugar, such as packaged fruit juices, sugary sodas, sugar-sweetened beverages, high-sugar sports drinks, etc.
- Eat more high-quality proteins every day. Some of the best protein sources are legumes, dairy products, nuts, seeds, meat, whole eggs, fish, and so on.
- Reduce your intake of refined carbohydrates, which mostly include white bread, sugar, candy, etc.
- Have plenty of plant foods like fruits and vegetables along with cereals, whole oats, and legumes to get soluble dietary fibers in sufficient amounts.
- Exercise regularly to work on your abdominal muscles. Weight training and aerobic exercises like swimming, running, walking, etc. can be helpful.
- Keep a track of whatever you are eating throughout the day to realize the most important areas for change and plan to achieve your specific goals.
Indian Diet Plan to Reduce Belly Fat: An Overview
As a foodie Indian woman, you need to follow a nutritious yet calorie-deficit diet that will help your body compensate for those calories from burning stored fat without compromising with its nutrient requirements. If you are a fan of the GM diet plan and looking for its Indian counterpart to get a trimmed waistline and flat stomach in a short span of time, this 5-day Indian diet plan is what you need. It brings the secret of achieving a flat belly in less than a week’ to you and that too in a completely Indian way. This diet plan is essential for 7 days but the initial 5 days are the most crucial. These days, you not only shed extra kilos from certain parts of your body but also flush toxins out to regain a healthy glow.
The GM (General Motors) Diet Plan was designed in 1985 to make General Motors employees healthier and more productive. It is an easy to follow diet plan with no complicated ingredient. It helps in burning the stored fat impressively, thereby reducing 10-17 pounds of weight in just 7 days. (16)
Read Also – Control Acne Breakouts with Acne-Free Diet Plan
The Guide: 5-Day Indian Diet Plan to Reduce Belly Fat
This diet is all about consuming fruits, low-calorie veggies, and complex carbohydrates along with lots of water. Here is a day-to-day guide to follow:
Since this diet plan is inspired by the much famous GM diet plan’s English menu, it also includes a heavy intake of fruit on day 1. Barring banana, you can eat any fruit you want to. However, it’ll be more beneficial to eat fruits from the melon family. Fruits, such as watermelon, Crenshaw melon, honeydew, and cantaloupe are considered as the ‘zero-calorie fruits with high percentages of water. These fruits not only prevent the loss of water from your body but also keep you active all through the day.
This diet doesn’t limit your dieting schedule. You can eat fruits as many times as you want throughout the day. Moreover, experts advise to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water during the day as it keeps you energized even though there is a lack of essential carbohydrates.
The next day of this dieting plan includes nothing but vegetables on the menu. We Indians are fortunate that we have an ample amount of vegetables available in almost every season. To kick-start the second day of dieting, you can rely on a plate of fresh green salad. Later, add vegetables from the gourd family to your lunch and dinner menus. For evening snacks, you can again rely on a bowl of salad prominently comprised of tomato and cucumber.
You should increase your water intake by 1 or 2 glasses on the day 2. However, the eating rule remains the same on this day too. Eat veggies whenever hunger forces you to eat something.
On the third day of this ‘flat belly diet plan’, a surprise awaits you. You can get the needed dose of carbohydrate on this day by eating a whole boiled potato with a dash of butter. After this delicious beginning, eat anything from your Day 1 and/or Day 2 diet plans. Keep in mind that the third day’s menu is supposed to be the right mix of the last two days’ food intakes.
Make sure that you consume at least 12 to 13 glasses of water till the day ends.
The fourth day of the diet plan is basically the ‘super energy plan’. It makes for tasty dieting by focusing mainly on the consumption of bananas and milk. On this day, you are supposed to have around 8 bananas and 4 glasses of milk. For balanced food intake, you can divide it into four different eating schedules and have 2 bananas and a glass of milk for each schedule.
On the fifth day of dieting, you get the liberty of eating all the tasty and healthy delights of a common Indian dietary menu as you can gorge on raw paneer (cottage cheese), tomato, soya soup, etc.
Intake of 12-14 glasses of water is a must on this day too.
Post-Diet Meal Considerations
After five days of this diet plan, your body flushes out a major portion of toxins, thereby bringing a healthy natural glow to your face. On the 5th day, you can also take an old t-shirt and rejoice seeing yourself fitting inside it perfectly. Although the real pressure of this diet plan lasts for 5 days, you need two more days to enjoy the lasting impact of this weight loss program. We tell you what you must consider about your meals for the next two days:
- On the 6th day, you can eat low-calorie yet vitamin-rich food items. Raw paneer, steamed veggies, and low-cal soups are supposed to be the best diet for this day as you have just gone through the ‘5 Day flat-belly meal plan.’
- On the 7th day, you can get back to your regular diet of sprouts, whole wheat chapattis, and brown rice. For the best results, start your day with a glass of no-salt and no-sugar lemon water.
Word of Caution
It is strictly advised that you consult a doctor before starting this 5 Day flat belly Indian diet regimen. This will help you assess whether your body is ready to take the challenge or not and you will be able to avoid any unwanted situations that may arise during the procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Foods Help Burn Belly Fat?
Some healthy and nutritious foods that also help burn belly fat are avocados, bananas, yogurt, berries, garlic, chia seeds, oranges, red peppers, oatmeal, low-fat yogurt, legumes, coconut oil, etc.
Is Rice Bad for Weight Loss?
Based on the type and serving size, rice can impact your abdominal fat. While white rice taken in moderate quantity is neither detrimental nor favorable for weight loss, whole grains like brown rice may help you lose your belly fat significantly.
What Exercises Burn Belly Fat in Women?
Exercises like running, walking, bicycling, exercise ball crunch, reverse crunch, vertical leg crunch, elliptical trainer, etc. can help you burn stomach fat quickly.
What Drink Can Burn Belly Fat?
Green tea, celery juice, apple cider vinegar with warm water, peppermint tea, honey-cinnamon tea, etc. help fight stubborn belly fat.
Does Drinking Lemon Juice Reduce Belly Fat?
Yes, lemon juice burns excess fat in the abdominal area and promotes weight loss by causing fullness, supporting hydration, and boosting metabolism.
- “Genetics of Obesity: What Have We Learned?“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Gene-Centric Meta-Analyses for Central Adiposity Traits in up to 57 412 Individuals of European Descent Confirm Known Loci and Reveal Several Novel Associations“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Quality Protein Intake is Inversely Related with Abdominal Fat“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Whole- and Refined-Grain Intakes are Differentially Associated with Abdominal Visceral and Subcutaneous Adiposity in Healthy Adults: The Framingham Heart Study“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Fructose Consumption: Considerations for Future Research on Its Effects on Adipose Distribution, Lipid Metabolism, and Insulin Sensitivity in Humans“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Metabolic Implications of Dietary Trans-Fatty Acids“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Relationship of Abdominal Obesity with Alcohol Consumption at Population Scale“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Television Viewing and Abdominal Obesity in Young Adults: is the Association Mediated by Food and Beverage Consumption During Viewing Time or Reduced Leisure-Time Physical Activity?“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Exercise Training Prevents Regain of Visceral Fat for 1 Year Following Weight Loss“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Increased Visceral Fat and Decreased Energy Expenditure During the Menopausal Transition“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Sleep Apnea and Daytime Sleepiness and Fatigue: Relation to Visceral Obesity, Insulin Resistance, and Hypercytokinemia“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Stress-Induced Cortisol Response and Fat Distribution in Women“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Why Visceral Fat is Bad: Mechanisms of the Metabolic Syndrome“, OnlineLibrary.wiley.com
- “Normal-Weight Central Obesity: Implications for Total and Cardiovascular Mortality“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Comprehensive Evaluation for Obesity: Beyond Body Mass Index“, JAOA.org
- “The GM Diet Plan: Lose Fat in Just 7 Days?“, Healthline.com