Bright, flawless skin and thick, lustrous hair are not all an Indian woman desires. A flat, toned belly is also on her wishlist. But, achieving a washboard stomach is a real struggle for any Indian lady, and maintaining it is even more difficult. The choice of ingredients and versatility of cuisines make us gorge on mouthwatering dishes, which quickly increase the circumference of our waistlines. Here comes the importance of a perfect diet plan that promises a flat belly in 5 days. And guess what? It works! So, find below the complete guide to the 5-day Indian diet plan to reduce belly fat.
What Causes Belly Fat?
Before getting into the diet plan itself, let us take a look at the common factors that are responsible for depositing stubborn fat in the abdominal area:
- Genetics (1), (2)
- Lack of proteins (3) and dietary fibers in the daily diet (4)
- Poor eating practices include the intake of sugary foods and beverages (5), unhealthy trans fats (6), processed foods, etc.
- Too much consumption of alcohol (7)
- A sedentary lifestyle with less to zero physical activity (8), (9)
- Hormonal fluctuations during menopause (10)
- Not getting enough sleep at night (11)
- Chronic stress is caused by the stress hormone ‘cortisol (12)
Excess deposition of fat surrounding the liver and other organs in the abdomen is extremely unhealthy. It may lead to a number of serious diseases like metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular issues, type-2 diabetes, and even cancer (13). People with normal body weight but extra abdominal fat may also be at the risk of developing major health problems (14).
Types of Belly Fat
A big tummy is always inconvenient, and getting rid of it is necessary. But it is essential to understand that not all belly fat is the same. There are, essentially, two types of belly fat:
- Subcutaneous Fat is the protective layer of fat under the skin’s surface layer, i.e., the epidermis. Having subcutaneous fat is normal, and it is comparatively less harmful, too. However, the cells in this kind of fat are active, and their activity level may contribute to certain severe health conditions.
- Visceral Fat: Visceral or intra-abdominal fat is excess and unhealthy fat between the organs and the midsection. While subcutaneous fat is easily identified, visceral fat is hard to determine. However, it is known to be highly detrimental as it leads to hypertension, diabetes, cancer, etc.
In most people, a large abdomen is a cumulative effect of subcutaneous fat and visceral fat. It is called ‘abdominal obesity’ when the circumference around the waist measures above 40 inches (102 cm.) in men and 35 inches (88 cm.) in women (15).
Effective Ways to Lose Belly Fat
Weeding excess fat from the abdomen requires time, patience, and dedication. The following are the most effective ways to opt for based on science:
- Avoid refined sugar in your diet as much as possible. This also includes foods with added sugar, such as packaged fruit juices, sugary sodas, sugar-sweetened beverages, high-sugar sports drinks, etc.
- Eat more high-quality proteins every day. Some of the best protein sources are legumes, dairy products, nuts, seeds, meat, whole eggs, fish, etc.
- Reduce your intake of refined carbohydrates, primarily white bread, sugar, candy, etc.
- Plenty of plant foods like fruits and vegetables, cereals, whole oats, and legumes can get soluble dietary fibers in sufficient amounts.
- Exercise regularly to work on your abdominal muscles. Weight training and aerobic exercises like swimming, running, walking, etc. can be helpful.
- Track whatever you eat throughout the day to realize the most critical areas for change and plan to achieve your goals.
Indian Diet Plan to Reduce Belly Fat: An Overview
As a foodie Indian woman, you must follow a nutritious yet calorie-deficit diet to help your body compensate for those calories by burning stored fat without compromising nutrient requirements. If you are a fan of the GM diet plan and looking for its Indian counterpart to get a trimmed waistline and flat stomach in a short period, this 5-day Indian diet plan is what you need. It brings the secret of achieving a flat belly in less than a week’ to you, and that too in a completely Indian way. This diet plan is essential for seven days, but the initial five days are the most crucial. These days, you not only shed extra kilos from certain parts of your body but also flush toxins out to regain a healthy glow.
The GM (General Motors) Diet Plan was designed in 1985 to make General Motors employees healthier and more productive. It is an easy to follow diet plan with no complicated ingredient. It helps in burning the stored fat impressively, thereby reducing 10-17 pounds of weight in just 7 days. (16)
The Guide: 5-Day Indian Diet Plan to Reduce Belly Fat
This diet is about consuming fruits, low-calorie veggies, complex carbohydrates, and lots of water. Here is a day-to-day guide to follow:
Since this diet plan is inspired by the famous GM diet plan’s English menu, it also includes a heavy fruit intake on day 1. Barring bananas, you can eat any fruit you want to. However, eating fruits from the melon family will be more beneficial. Fruits such as watermelon, Crenshaw melon, honeydew, and cantaloupe are considered zero-calorie fruits with high percentages of water. These fruits prevent water loss from your body and keep you active throughout the day.
This diet doesn’t limit your dieting schedule. You can eat fruits as many times as you want throughout the day. Moreover, experts advise to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water during the day as it keeps you energized even though there is a lack of essential carbohydrates.
The next day of this dieting plan includes nothing but vegetables. We Indians are fortunate to have ample vegetables available almost every season. To kick-start the second day of dieting, you can rely on a plate of fresh green salad. Later, add vegetables from the gourd family to your lunch and dinner menus. For evening snacks, you can again rely on a bowl of salad prominently comprised of tomato and cucumber.
You should increase your water intake by 1 or 2 glasses on the day 2. However, the eating rule remains the same on this day too. Eat veggies whenever hunger forces you to eat something.
A surprise awaits you on the third day of this ‘flat belly diet plan.’ You can get the needed dose of carbohydrates on this day by eating a whole-boiled potato with a dash of butter. After this delicious beginning, eat anything from your Day 1 and Day 2 diet plans. Remember that the third day’s menu is supposed to be the right mix of the last two days’ food intake.
Make sure that you consume at least 12 to 13 glasses of water till the day ends.
The fourth day of the diet plan is the ‘super energy plan.’ It makes for tasty dieting by focusing mainly on consuming bananas and milk. On this day, you are supposed to have around eight bananas and four glasses of milk. For balanced food intake, you can divide it into four different eating schedules and have two bananas and a glass of milk for each schedule.
On the fifth day of dieting, you can eat all the tasty and healthy delights of a typical Indian dietary menu as you can gorge on raw paneer (cottage cheese), tomato, soya soup, etc.
Intake of 12-14 glasses of water is a must on this day too.
Post-Diet Meal Considerations
After five days of this diet plan, your body flushes out a significant portion of toxins, bringing a healthy, natural glow to your face. On the 5th day, you can also rejoice in an old T-shirt, seeing yourself fitting inside it perfectly. Although the absolute pressure of this diet plan lasts for five days, you need two more days to enjoy the lasting impact of this weight loss program. We tell you what you must consider about your meals for the next two days:
- On the 6th day, you can eat low-calorie yet vitamin-rich food items. Raw paneer, steamed veggies, and low-cal soups are supposed to be the best diet for this day as you have just gone through the ‘5 Day flat-belly meal plan.’
- On the 7th day, you can return to your regular sprouts, whole wheat chapattis, and brown rice diet. Start your day with a glass of no-salt and no-sugar lemon water for the best results.
Word of Caution
You should consult a doctor before starting this 5-day flat belly Indian diet regimen. This will help you assess whether your body is ready to take the challenge, and you can avoid any unwanted situations that may arise during the procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Foods Help Burn Belly Fat?
Some healthy and nutritious foods that help burn belly fat are avocados, bananas, yogurt, berries, garlic, chia seeds, oranges, red peppers, oatmeal, low-fat yogurt, legumes, coconut oil, etc.
Is Rice Bad for Weight Loss?
Based on the type and serving size, rice can impact your abdominal fat. While white rice in moderate quantities is neither detrimental nor favorable for weight loss, whole grains like brown rice may help you lose belly fat significantly.
What Exercises Burn Belly Fat in Women?
Exercises like running, walking, bicycling, ball crunch, reverse crunch, vertical leg crunch, elliptical trainer, etc., can help you quickly burn stomach fat.
What Drink Can Burn Belly Fat?
Green tea, celery juice, apple cider vinegar with warm water, peppermint tea, honey-cinnamon tea, etc., help fight stubborn belly fat.
Does Drinking Lemon Juice Reduce Belly Fat?
Yes, lemon juice burns excess fat in the abdominal area and promotes weight loss by causing fullness, supporting hydration, and boosting metabolism.
- “Genetics of Obesity: What Have We Learned?“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Gene-Centric Meta-Analyses for Central Adiposity Traits in up to 57 412 Individuals of European Descent Confirm Known Loci and Reveal Several Novel Associations“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Quality Protein Intake is Inversely Related with Abdominal Fat,” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Whole- and Refined-Grain Intakes are Differentially Associated with Abdominal Visceral and Subcutaneous Adiposity in Healthy Adults: The Framingham Heart Study,” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Fructose Consumption: Considerations for Future Research on Its Effects on Adipose Distribution, Lipid Metabolism, and Insulin Sensitivity in Humans,” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Metabolic Implications of Dietary Trans-Fatty Acids,” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Relationship of Abdominal Obesity with Alcohol Consumption at Population Scale,” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Television Viewing and Abdominal Obesity in Young Adults: do Food and Beverage Consumption mediate the Association During Viewing Time or Reduced Leisure-Time Physical Activity?” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Exercise Training Prevents Regain of Visceral Fat for 1 Year Following Weight Loss“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Increased Visceral Fat and Decreased Energy Expenditure During the Menopausal Transition,” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Sleep Apnea and Daytime Sleepiness and Fatigue: Relation to Visceral Obesity, Insulin Resistance, and Hypercytokinemia,” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Stress-Induced Cortisol Response and Fat Distribution in Women,” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Why Visceral Fat is Bad: Mechanisms of the Metabolic Syndrome,” OnlineLibrary.wiley.com
- “Normal-Weight Central Obesity: Implications for Total and Cardiovascular Mortality,” NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Comprehensive Evaluation for Obesity: Beyond Body Mass Index,” JAOA.org
- “The GM Diet Plan: Lose Fat in Just 7 Days?“, Healthline.com