Cold creams have a long history of cosmetic use. Until half a century ago, cold cream was a staple beauty product used by prominent women famous for their exquisite skin and ethereal beauty. However, cold creams are making a comeback and gaining immense popularity.
What is a Cold Cream?
Simply put, cold cream is the emulsification of water in oil that is used to moisturize dry skin. Historically, it referred to a thick cream in a jar that felt cold when applied to the skin (hence its name). Nowadays, cold creams are different from other creams because they have a higher oil content that makes them highly moisturizing. They can be used to repair and moisturize dry skin of the face, hands, and body because they can penetrate the outer layer of the skin without being absorbed as deeply into your skin as water-based products.
In 1846, American pharmacist, Theron Pond created the first marketed cold cream. As WWII broke out, women had to step in to take over men’s jobs as men went off to fight in the war. Pond’s unique cream was the first moisturizer on the market that didn’t require refrigeration and it became extremely famous at the time because it helped women retain their grace and femininity in these stressful new roles.
Also Read – DIY Natural Cold Cream in Easy Steps
What is a Cold Cream Used for?
Cold creams can perform multiple functions – remove makeup and soften the skin. However, if your skin is oily and acne-prone, you shouldn’t use cold creams as an alternative to your makeup remover because they will leave some residue behind. Please remember to cleanse your face thoroughly if you are using cold cream as a makeup remover.
These multipurpose, magical creams can be used for a plethora of purposes:
- To moisturize dry, itchy skin
- To soften rough elbows and knees
- To treat sunburned or chapped lips
- To remove makeup
- As a shaving cream
- As an overnight mask
Benefits of Cold Cream
Cold cream is a particularly rich and protective ointment for dry skin. If your skin is ultra-dry, irritated, dehydrated, and rough, cold creams can nourish it deeply and restore your skin’s moisture balance. Using it at night will improve the texture and appearance of your complexion. Moreover, it can speed up the healing process after having a mild chemical peel, and it can help flaking skin after using retinol products.
8 Best Cold Creams To Try
We’ve rounded up the 8 best cold creams to try out on yourself to achieve smooth and glowing skin.
1. Pond’s Cold Cream Cleanser
This is one of the oldest and most iconic creams. Apart from its deep moisturizing formulae, it is useful when it comes to removing makeup.
- It contains mineral oil, which can hydrate skin and dissolve makeup
- It dissolves makeup and dirt instantly
- It cleanses your skin without drying it
- It leaves your skin radiant and soft after every use
Price $5.39 / Size 3.5 Fl Oz
2. Nivea Creme
This iconic blue cream is a mixture of moisturizing ingredients that are excellent at restoring super-dry skin. It is enriched with Provitamin B5 that moisturizes, soothes, and protects the skin from extreme dryness.
- It has a rich and creamy texture
- It restores moisture levels of the skin
- It contains mineral oil, petrolatum, glycerin, paraffin, and panthenol. It can be used as a makeup remover, face moisturizer, hand cream, and hair mask
Price $9.99 / Size 13.5 Oz
3. Weleda Deep Moisture Facial Balm
This cold cream is supposed to be used after you wash your face. It can nourish and moisturize even the driest skin. It is free of chemical preservatives, fragrances, and petrochemicals and certified by NaTrue.
- Great to use during colder months when your skin needs a little more protection
- Contains almond oil which is rich in fatty acids and helps to replenish the skin
- Contains beeswax, which acts as a barrier
- It is loaded with beeswax, which enables the skin to breathe
Price $24.99 / Size 1.0 Fl Oz
4. Pond’s Cold Cream Facial Cleansing Balm
Unlike other cold creams, this one has the texture of a balm. The balm-to-oil formula can be used to cleanse dirt, grime, and all types of makeup while moisturizing your skin. Unlike the original Pond’s formula, it melts when you massage it into the skin and can easily be rinsed off.
- Infuses skin with moisture
- Leaves the skin soft and glowing
- Gently removes heavy, waterproof makeup
Price $23.50/ Size 3.38 fl oz
5. Albolene Moisturizing Cleanser 3 in 1 Skin Care Product
This fragrance-free, oil-based cleanser dissolves makeup and moisturizes the face. It can keep your skin soft, supple, and healthy-looking. It contains no fragrance or harsh chemicals and has a highly moisturizing content.
- Contains mineral oil which is a skin conditioner used to soften and smooth the skin
- Contains petrolatum which is a moisturizing emollient and skin conditioning ingredient that helps keep the skin’s moisture from evaporating
- It effectively dissolves dirt and residues
Price $11.99 / Size 12 Fl Oz
6. Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream
This adorable-looking cream is said to be a true multipurpose product. It can be used to remove makeup, moisturize dry skin, and even prime your face for makeup. It deeply cleanses your skin while leaving it moisturized and luxuriously soft.
- It has an ultra-thick and rich formula
- Perfect for very dry skin
- Can be used as an overnight moisturizing treatment
- Leaves your skin extremely soft and smooth
Price $9.81 / Size 15 Oz
Also Read – Best Compact Powders for Dry Skin – Top 7 Picks
7. Avéne Cold Cream
This cream contains Thermal Spring water, pure-white beeswax, and pharmaceutical-grade paraffin oil that moisturize, nourish, and protect the skin from environmental aggressors like the sun and wind. It seals in moisture and restores the skin’s natural barrier through intense hydration.
- Leaves your complexion soft and refreshed
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- It contains pure white beeswax that provides emollient properties to soothe, soften, and hydrate skin
- It contains pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil, which is considered the safest, most hydrating ingredient that helps replenish skin.
- It contains Avéne Thermal Spring Water that soothes, softens, and calms skin.
Price $20 / Size 1.3 Oz
8. Queen Helene Professional Cleansing Cream, Triple Whipped
This cold cream was created for professional use in spas and salons. It gently removes impurities and leaves your skin feeling soft and looking smooth. It is perfect for oily skin as it banishes dirt, oil, and makeup without making your face greasy.
- Contains natural elements like cocoa butter that are rich in vitamins and natural emollient properties
- Contains pomegranate oil which is famous for its antioxidant protection against the skin-aging effects of the environment
- Contains essential oils to help relax tired muscles and ease tension
- It can be used to moisturize, soften, and nurture your skin and hair
Price $12.04 / Size 15 Oz
Winter can be painfully harsh on the skin. It is a period when you have to take extra care of your skin to protect it from getting dry and flaky. The easiest way to hydrate your skin and prevent dryness is to invest in a cold cream that will not just smooth your skin but also repair it from within. Cold cream, an emulsion of fats and water, is an extremely moisturizing ointment considered to be a multifunctional product. It can be used to remove makeup, moisturize the face, and soften tough skin on the knees and elbows. If your skin is oily or acne-prone, you should get a non-comedogenic formula that won’t clog your pores and lead to breakouts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to apply a cold cream?
You should apply it to the entire face and then remove it with a damp washcloth. After this, rinse your face with lukewarm water to remove any residue that may have been left behind.
When to apply cold cream?
Because it is so rich and moisturizing, it is best used at night. You can use it to gently cleanse your makeup from the day and remove all the dirt from your face. If your face is extremely dry, you can also apply a thick layer of the cream and leave it on your face overnight.
Can I use cold cream instead of a moisturizer every day?
If your skin is extremely dry, you can use a cold cream instead of a moisturizer. However, because cold creams don’t contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid and ceramides that are integral for improving your skin, we suggest you not skip your moisturizer and serum.
Do cold creams clog pores?
Yes, they can clog pores if you are not washing your face afterward or have super oily, acne-prone skin.