Don’t we all wish for clear skin that always glows and looks good even on days when you’re feeling under the weather? Sadly, very few women are blessed with that kind of skin, thanks to the thick layer of pollution that crowds our city skies and makes our skin prone to breakouts and rashes. Things are a little more difficult for women with dark facial hair.
Hence, most of us are always on the lookout for a more permanent solution, relying on high-end cosmetic treatments. But these treatments have their side effects too and are often not pocket-friendly for everyone to consider them an option. This article will help you find ways to treat facial hair at home without digging a hole in your pocket. Read on to know more.
Unwanted Hair Growth in Women
All women have facial hair; however, some have excessive growth on their faces. This is nothing spooky but a hormonal imbalance known as hirsutism that leads to unwanted hair growth on the face. Higher than normal levels of androgens, including testosterone, is the main factor for excessive hair growth.
Also, certain medical conditions lead to increased production of androgens in a woman’s body – Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is one common cause of hirsutism, followed by Adrenal gland disorders and certain kinds of medication that lead to the production of artificial testosterone in the body. This kind of excessive hair growth can either be treated medically or with the help of creams and cosmetic treatments (1).
Women with hirsutism can still try out home remedies and there are high chances of them getting a good result with these.
Our kitchen is the best place to go hunting for solutions to any skin-related problem. For centuries, women have depended on readily available items from the kitchen shelf to get rid of ailments related to health.
- Turmeric has the best anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and can also help fight symptoms of depression and arthritis in people (2).
- Cinnamon lowers blood sugar levels and has a strong anti-diabetic effect.
- Ginger relieves nausea.
- Basil improves immunity and controls the growth of bacteria, yeasts, and molds.
- Garlic boosts your heart health, and adding it to your everyday meal benefits the entire body.
- Cayenne pepper, a type of chili pepper, reduces appetite and helps in burning fat.
- Fenugreek is known to lower blood sugar levels.
As mentioned above, our kitchens are equipped with the best quality ingredients that can help fight infections and diseases. These same ingredients and many more readily available in our homes can also help work wonders on facial hair. Here we have listed some easy methods that can help you get rid of light facial hair.
Honey and Sugar Wax
Honey is known for its healing powers and for nourishing the skin. On the other hand, sugar exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells and facial hair. A mask made with this can solve the problem of facial hair. It is much like the waxing you get in salons, except there are no chemicals in it. Here’s how you prepare the mask.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey, two tablespoons of sugar, and a tablespoon of water in a bowl.
- Now microwave it for 30 seconds until the sugar dissolves.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, apply this paste to areas with excessive hair.
- Take a strip of cloth and place it over the paste.
- Let it cool down a bit, and like you do when you wax, quickly pull the strip in the opposite direction of your hair growth.
- It is best not to repeat the process on the same surface twice unless there is still prominent hair visible, as the skin of the face is very sensitive and can turn red fast.
Lemon and Sugar Scrub
Lemon has many skin-friendly properties and is an ideal ingredient for any skin treatment. Lemon juice naturally contains Vitamin C that is the best antioxidant possible. In addition, due to its high pH levels, lemon can decrease oil on the skin. Lemon also has certain acids that lighten the skin and remove scars. A scrub made with these will surely help you in multiple ways.
- Mix one tablespoon of sugar with a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Add a few drops of water and mix it all.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, apply this scrub on your face and let it air dry.
- Your skin will begin to feel stretchy after a while.
- Now with gentle fingers, scrub the mixture off your face. This action will pull off the hair and leave you with radiant skin.
3. Gram Flour and Rosewater Paste
Gram Flour is a great exfoliator and helps remove dead skin cells. It also removes tan when mixed with lemon juice and curd and applied on the face. Rosewater has cooling effects and leaves your skin scented.
- Mix two tablespoons of gram flour and rosewater each and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Mix it all to form a paste.
- Apply it on your face and let it air dry.
- Once it has dried out completely, rub it off with your fingers.
- This scrub will remove all the extra facial hair, leaving you feeling lighter and fresher.
- You can repeat this three to four times a week.
Also Read – 5 Homemade Facial Bleach Recipes
4. Oatmeal and Banana Pack
Oats is now a standard ingredient in all our homes. While it is an excellent source of fiber when consumed as a meal, its grainy texture makes it a perfect agent to remove dead skin cells and facial hair.
- Take two tablespoons of oatmeal in a bowl and mash one ripe banana into it.
- Apply this paste on your face and gently massage it into your skin.
- Now let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Then wash your face with lukewarm water.
- This pack is suitable for all skin types and can be used once a week for good results.
5. Papaya and Turmeric Paste
Papaya contains an enzyme called papain that helps remove facial hair. Turmeric is known for its many skin benefits, one of which is radiant skin. Try this pack, and you’ll be asking for more.
- Take a big slice of papaya and mash it to form a paste.
- Add half a teaspoon of turmeric to it and apply it to areas where you have hair growth.
- Massage for a while and let it sit on your face for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now wash it off with water.
- You can see an instant glow on your face and a definite reduction in facial hair.
- You can repeat this process twice a week for effective results.
How to Remove Hair from the Upper Lip?
Sometimes, it is not the hair on the face that is a problem for women, but the ones on their upper lip disturb them the most. Here are some quick methods to remove upper lip growth at home.
- In a bowl, mix one egg white with half a teaspoon of cornflour and one tablespoon of sugar. Mix it all till the sugar melts. Using a wooden popsicle, apply this one to your upper lip and let it dry. Once dry, remove the coating in the direction opposite to the hair growth. Rinse your face with cold water.
- Take one tablespoon of unflavored gelatin, one and a half teaspoons of milk, and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Put this mixture in the microwave till the gelatin dissolves. Apply this mixture, once a little cool, on your upper lip using a popsicle stick. Once dry, peel it off in the opposite direction of your hair growth. Wash your face with cold water.
For centuries, women have been using their knowledge of kitchen spices and other ingredients to fight illnesses and diseases. Our grandmothers have been the biggest advocates of using milk and spices like turmeric on the face for radiant skin. By using simple ingredients such as gram flour, lemon, sugar, and banana, you can make amazing packs that can help you cut down your monthly salon expenses. These pocket-friendly mixes are not laden with chemicals that harm the skin. So forget about the bleach that you’d get done every 15 days, or the wax to remove unwanted hair from your face, simply dig into these methods to remove that pesky hair and give way to radiant skin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it safe to use lemon juice on the face?
Although lemon is highly acidic and can cause skin irritations and dryness, people with sensitive skin should be wary of it. Also, whenever you use lemon juice in a pack, make sure you use a small quantity of it.
Can women shave their face?
Women have very sensitive facial skin, and shaving can irritate them. Therefore, women should stick to facial hair removal methods instead of shaving.
Can I use a gram flour pack every day?
Yes. Gram flour with curd can be applied to your face daily. But if your skin is sensitive to the sun, make sure you wear your sunscreen before stepping out.