Lentils or dals are a common food staple in Indian kitchens. These lens-shaped, cool season seeds from the legume family can be of different kinds and are available on the market with or without their external husks. The best thing about lentils is that they are extremely beneficial for our health and also work as natural cures for many of our skin problems at the same time. When it comes to including lentils in our beauty regimen, red lentils are considered as one of the best choices. This article tells you everything about red lentils along with some highly effective recipes of red lentil face packs and body scrubs.
What are Red Lentils (Masoor Dal)?
Red lentils or masoor dal is one of the most easily available and widely consumed lentils across the globe. Though it is native to Indian subcontinent, it is also cultivated in Canada, Australia, southern Europe, Africa, and the dry areas of the Middle East extensively. The distinctive red or orange color of these lentils is attributed to the cultivars used as well as the composition of their coats and cotyledon. It is mostly the color of the cotyledons that determines the color of the dehulled pulses (1). The unique and significant dietary composition of macro- and micro-nutrients makes red lentils an amazingly healthy food item. They have long been used as an Ayurvedic medicine for a variety of ailments. Apart from culinary uses, these sweet and nutty-flavored pulses are also used in skincare and beauty practices.
Red lentils are an indispensable part of Indian cuisine. They are used for making dals, curries, soups, stews, side dishes, breads, and even a base for warm salads.
Nutritional Value of Red Lentils
Being a highly nutritious food item, every 100 grams of cooked red lentils can provide us with the following nutrients:
- Carbohydrate – 20 gm.
- Protein – 9 gm.
- Fat – 0.4 gm.
- Saturated fat – 0.1 gm.
- Monounsaturated fat – 0.1 gm.
- Polyunsaturated fat – 0.2 gm.
- Sugar – 1.8 gm.
- Dietary fiber – 8 gm.
Besides, red lentils contain vitamins (B6, C, folate), minerals (iron, calcium, sodium, potassium, magnesium), antioxidants, and phytochemicals. However, they do not have cholesterol and a few vitamins (A, B12, and D). Red lentils also have only 116 calories.
Health Benefits of Red Lentils
Enriched with so many nutrients, red lentils offer some amazing benefits for our health in a simple and inexpensive way. They are as follows:
- High dietary fiber content in red lentils is great for speeding up digestion as it bulks up the stool and stimulates the process of bowel movement.
- Low fat content and plenty of dietary fibers in them may promote weight loss by expelling wastes from the body and stopping further weight gain.
- The anti-cancer properties of red lentils contributed by antioxidants, folate, and dietary fibers may reduce the risk of different types of cancer including breast cancer, bowel cancer, lung cancer, and colon cancer. (2)
- They have considerably low glycemic index (GI), which may help you manage your diabetes successfully by keeping blood sugar levels under control. (3)
- As these lentils are a great source of proteins and minerals, they may be able to keep major diseases and illnesses away upon regular consumption.
- Plenty of dietary fibers in red lentils may also be effective in lowering blood cholesterol levels in our body, thereby averting many cardiovascular problems. (4)
- The are full of antioxidants, which may play a significant role in strengthening our immune system, thus keeping diseases and infections at bay.
- Minerals present in the lentils may aid the growth and development of bones and teeth, which helps in making them stronger and healthier.
- Vitamins and minerals in red lentils may nourish our eyes intensely in order to keep our vision intact.
Skin Benefits of Red Lentils
Red lentil or masoor dal has long been used as a reliable beauty ingredient. Whether you include it in your regular face pack or prepare a body scrub with it for weekly use, you can get a healthy and beautiful skin in each and every way. Following are the positive effects of red lentils on our skin :
- Antioxidants in red lentils slow down aging by minimizing the damage of cells and tissues
- The lentils remove suntans and lighten skin tone with their potent vitamin C content
- Essential nutrients in them nourish the skin from inside out and remove dry patches
- Red lentils work as a great natural cleanser that leaves skin clean, supple, and glowing
- They absorb excess oil from the skin, thus preventing acne, breakouts, and blemishes
- Exfoliating properties of the lentils help in tightening skin pores as well as restoring skin elasticity
8 Simple Red Lentil Face Packs for a Flawless Facial Skin
So, here are a few simple red lentil face packs that can give you soft, smooth, and radiant skin right at home:
1. Soaked Whole Red Lentils
Soak 3 to 4 tablespoons of whole red lentils in water. Leave it overnight. Next morning, grind it finely to prepare a smooth paste. Using this as a face pack can give you blemish-free clean skin easily.
2. Red Lentils and Rose Water
Prepare an oil-controlling face pack by soaking 2 tablespoons of red lentils in 4 to 5 teaspoons of rose water and making an even paste of it. It will also help you get rid of acne and pimples.
3. Red Lentils and Milk
Here is a face cleansing pack made of 2 tablespoons of red lentils and 4 tablespoons of fresh raw milk. The thick paste of dal can give you a squeaky clean skin by removing tan as well as dead cells.
4. Red Lentils, Milk, and Orange Peel
Turn your dull and damaged skin into a bright and healthy one by soaking 2 tablespoons of red lentils, and 1 tablespoon of dried orange peels in 2 tablespoons of fresh raw milk and making a fine paste of them.
5. Red Lentils, Almond Oil, and Milk
Want to look fairer? Try this skin-lightening pack in which 2 tablespoons of red lentils, 1 teaspoon of almond oil, and 1 teaspoon of fresh milk are ground together. Use it at least thrice a week.
6. Red Lentils, Almond Oil, Glycerin, and Rose Water
Take 2 to 3 tablespoons of soaked red lentils and combine it with 1 teaspoon of almond oil, 1 teaspoon of glycerin, and 1 teaspoon of fresh rose water. Make a smooth paste and use it regularly to get soft, smooth and supple skin.
7. Red Lentils, Black Gram, Orange Peel, and Cucumber Juice
Ditch those acne and heat rashes with this super effective face pack. Take red lentils and black gram 1 tablespoon of each. Add some dried orange peels and a tablespoon of cucumber juice to it. Make a fine paste of all the ingredients.
8. Red Lentils, Aloe Vera Gel, Tomato, and Ginger
For the overall health of your facial skin, prepare this pack by grinding 2 tablespoons of soaked red lentils, 1 tablespoon of fresh aloe vera gel, 1 small diced tomato and an 1-inch piece of ginger together. Use this face pack at least twice a week.
Red lentils can be ground into a fine, smooth powder and stored for future uses. Just make sure that you store it in a clean, dry, and air-tight container.
4 Effective Red Lentil Body Scrubs for a Glowing Body
You can even take great care of skin on the rest of your body by using a few easy to make red lentil body scrubs:
1. Red Lentils and Pure Ghee
Coarsely grind 4 tablespoons of red lentils and add 2 tablespoons of puree ghee to it. Using this mixture as a body scrub can help you get rid of dead cells and nourish the underneath layer of the skin.
2. Red Lentils, Chickpea Flour, and Honey
Make fine powder of dry red lentils. Add 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour and 2 tablespoons of honey to it. Exfoliate your body with this natural scrub thrice a week and get a gleaming skin.
3. Red Lentils, Milk, and Almond
Take 2 tablespoons of raw milk. Add 3 tablespoons of red lentil powder and the skin of a few almonds to it. Mix well and use as a body as well as face scrub.
4. Red Lentils, Milk, Sandalwood, and Orange Peel
Pour 3 tablespoons of red lentil powder into 2 tablespoons of raw milk. Add equal amounts of orange peel powder and sandalwood powder to it. Blend everything to get an uneven mixture. Apply it onto your skin to get rid of unwanted hair.
Red lentils are one of the most popular lentils available around the world. Being highly nutritious, they are widely consumed in dals, curries, soups, and warm salads. They not only offer numerous health benefits but also take great care of our skin. From face packs to body scrubs, red lentils can be included in regular beauty regimen in different ways to get flawless facial and body skin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can We Use Masoor Dal Face Pack Daily?
As masoor dal is a natural kitchen ingredient, topical application of it does not pose your skin at risk. Hence, you can use masoor dal face pack daily.
Can I Eat Red Lentils Everyday?
Having one serving of red lentils everyday is actually very good for your health. It will keep your blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure under control while strengthening your bones and immunity.
Does Masoor Dal Make Skin Fair?
Masoor dal cleanses, exfoliates, and lightens our skin, which eventually makes it brighter and fairer naturally.
What is Red Lentil Powder?
Red lentil powder or red lentil flour is prepared by roasting grown red split lentils and grinding them into a fine powder. It contains no additive.
Is There Any Side Effects of Masoor Dal?
Moderate consumption of masoor dal is absolutely safe for our health. However, if you have it more than one serving a day, you may end up suffering from flatulence, kidney distress, potassium toxicity, etc.
- “Polyphenol-Rich Lentils and Their Health Promoting Effects“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “What are the Benefits of Lentils?“, MedicalNewsToday.com
- “Lentils Significantly Reduce Blood Glucose Levels“, ScienceDaily.com
- “Lentils – The Nutrition Source“, hsph.Harvard.edu