- Health Benefits of the Mangosteen Fruit (Kokum)
- Flax Seeds vs Chia Seeds – Which Seed wins the Nutrition Battle?
- Natural Home Remedies For Tinea Versicolor Infection
- Black Spots on the Teeth: Causes and Home Remedies
- Sclerotherapy to Treat Varicose and Spider Veins
- Easy Cellulite Treatments to Get Cellulite Free Skin
Shake off your Stubborn Belly Fat Naturally
If you are among the lot that thinks that you have tried every trick in the book and yet have not been able to shake off your belly fat, you are not alone. Today’s sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits have resulted in most of us tending towards becoming obese and the first sign of obesity starts showing around your belly.
What is essential which tackling belly fat is a combination of the right diet, impactful exercise, hydration and good rest to the body. Let us visit these aspects one by one to know what needs to be done to reduce the stubborn belly fat.
How to reduce belly fat?
1. You are what you eat
If you are gorging on cupcakes, then they will show on your tummy. So ensure that you eat the right kind of food.
- Eat 5 small meals a day rather than 3 large ones. Breakfast should be rich in carbs while the lunch should be a balance between carbs and proteins. Eat a light dinner comprising some proteins, carbs and lots of fiber. A typical day’s menu would be a breakfast of sandwiches, poha, idlis, eggs or upma with a fruit juice, lunch comprising rice, roti, vegetables, some lean meat and dal, dinner that is light and filling, say a soup and a salad with some yogurt. Snack in between meals on fruits, raw veggies or nuts.
Read more about healthy breakfast options here
- Include a lot of complex carbohydrates in your diet like wheat bran and oats which get digested over time and provide the body small shots of energy until the next meal.
- Eat fiber rich fruits and vegetables like watermelons and cucumbers that are negative calorie foods. They keep you full without adding anything to your bulk.
- Stay away from processed foods and white sugar. Look for healthier alternatives since processed foods directly go and reside in your fat cells.
Read more about healthy alternatives to Sugar here
- Include a lot of proteins in your diet. Your body spends a lot of energy trying to digest proteins. They also help you build lean muscle. Hence, include legumes, lean meat, soya and milk in your diet.
- Cut down on the salt in your food. You don’t want your body to be bloated by water retention.
- Drink lots of water and avoid alcohol. You do not want to get a beer belly. Take to drinking green tea.
Read more about foods that reduce belly fat here
2. Exercise Right
- Make sure that you are getting at least 4-5 days of exercise in a week.
- You don’t have to do the same set of exercises day after day. Mix in your regular workout with some fast walking, a fun exercise like zumba, some yoga and cardio.
- Lift weights. Strength training converts your body fat into muscle mass and gives you a lean,mean and toned look. That way, you won’t end up looking skinny but will be well toned and athletic.
- Indulge in exercises that work your full body, like lunges and push ups.
- Work the muscles in the abdomen with crunches and leg raises.
3. Rest and Rejuvenate
- You won’t lose weight if you sit and stress over your weight. Start a regime and stay motivated through it.
- Remember to get adequate rest every day since you don’t want your sore muscles to stop you from exercising.
- Warm up and indulge in body massages to relieve your muscles.
- Get a good night’s sleep to rejuvenate your body and calm your mind.
That’s it. This is all it takes to start off on the path of weight loss. Eating right, exercising right and giving your body rest to repair itself.
Latest posts by Aparna Anand (see all)
- Have you tried Steam Bath or Sauna to cure Acne yet? - July 21, 2014
- Treat Acne with Aromatherapy the Natural Way - July 21, 2014
- The Link between Reflexology and Acne - July 20, 2014