Instead of using chemically treated shampoos that actually damage hair over a period of time, it is a great idea to make a shampoo that not only nourishes your hair but also protects it from damage.
Going back to Indian Ayurvedic practices, there are three ingredients that have been used in almost any hair related remedy. These ingredients are Amla, Reetha and Shikakai.
Why Amla, Reetha and Shikakai are used:
These three ingredients have many useful applications in hair care remedies because:
- They have active components that nourish the hair and help its growth.
- These components are mild in nature, allowing the natural texture and natural oils of the hair retained for a healthy shine and appearance.
Before we proceed to making the shampoo, it is necessary to be convinced about the effectiveness of each ingredient. Let us take a look at the different properties in these products that are particularly beneficial to the hair:
Benefits of Amla
Amla has long been used as an effective hair loss remedy. Amla is useful in hair care because:
- It consists of a number of essential fatty acids that nourish and moisturize the hair. These essential fatty acids are able to penetrate through the scalp to remove any dryness and consequently address issues like dandruff.
- Amla is also rich in proteins, flavonoids, vitamins and minerals that are necessary to help the hair grow and prevent any hair loss.
- Amla also has many antioxidant properties that are effective in strengthening the roots of the hair.
- It also acts a conditioner that gives hair a natural shine and bounce.
Benefits of Reetha
- Reetha is a very effective cleansing agent that keeps the scalp gentle and removes any microorganism that may cause infections. Its natural cleansing agents are more beneficial than other chemical cleansing agents as they cause no irritation to the scalp.
- Its various active components nourish the hair and keep it healthy and smooth.
- Reetha adds shine to the hair and brings back the natural texture.
- Because of the cleansing properties, you can also get rid of dandruff and lice by using Reetha on a regular basis.
Read our post on Reetha
Benefits of Shikakai
Shikakai means fruit for the hair. There are many reasons why Shikakai is used in hair related remedies.
- Because of its naturally low pH value, it is a mild component that retains the natural oils of the hair keeping it lustrous and healthy.
- Shikakai is also effective in strengthening the hair and conditioning it. As a result, it reduces hair loss and adds volume to the hair.
- It acts a powerful anti dandruff and protects the scalp from any other type of infection.
Read our posts on Shikakai
Making Amla, Reetha and Shikakai Shampoo
Making this wonderful homemade product is far easier than you have thought.
- In about 500ml of water, soak 5-6 Reetha pods, 6-7 pieces of Shikakai and a few Amla fruits overnight.
- The next morning, heat this mixture. Just when it begins to boil, turn the heat off.
- Allow the mixture to cool and then using a blender; squash the ingredients to a pulp.
- You will notice that there is a lot of froth produced when you do this. This is when you know that your shampoo has acquired all the goodness of these ingredients.
- Strain the mixture and the use the residue as a shampoo.
Positive Results that are observed instantly:
When you use this shampoo, the first thing that you will notice is that the amount of hair that you normally lose while washing it is significantly reduced.
Any oiliness or dirt in the hair is removed completely. Also, the components that you have used in this shampoo separate the strands of hair making your hair look a lot more voluminous.
Another instant reaction is that your hair will be more shiny and healthy in appearance.
When you wash your hair with this homemade shampoo, you will not feel the smoothness of chemically treated ones. You will feel like the shampoo is tangling your hair. However, once you wash it off, your hair will feel normal again. In case your hair is naturally dry, you can either use some hibiscus powder or a mild conditioner on your hair.
Also Read – Health Benefits of Amla