Undergoing Liposuction can be one daunting task but what’s more important is how you take care of yourself post treatment. The downtime is crucial in every aspect; otherwise the treatment proves to be nothing but a sheer waste of money and your effort. There are numerous tips to follow post Liposuction that can help you recover better and faster.
Liposuction is a treatment that can be done in a day so there is no requirement to stay overnight at the hospital however it would be better if the person stays back in the hospital especially if general anesthesia has been followed. Make sure you are accompanied by someone to go back home as you will not be in the best condition to drive back home after local anesthesia.
Tips to recover faster and safely post Liposuction
- Know about your Liposuction: First thing that you need to do for recovering faster is to know about the type of Liposuction that you have been through, this is because different Liposuction have different aftereffects. In different types of liposuction’s like ultrasonic, laser, sound wave, tumescent or laser, the breakdown of the fat happens in different ways.
- Antibiotics: The doctor will generally put the patient on an antibiotic course, so it is advised to take the medicine on time soon after the treatment in order to avoid any kind of infection. Mild pain killers can also be taken if the patient is not able to tolerate the pain.
- Avoid heavy workouts: Post Liposuction the person must avoid heavy workouts completely to curb out any kind of risk factors.
- Use compression garments: Post Liposuction there can be formation of seroma, which is the serum that accumulates in a cavity inside the body. Compression garments helps in reducing both size as well as the number of seroma’s inside the body. Take your doctor’s advice before using the compression garments.
- Take care of the stitches: The stitches will have to be taken special care of. Therefore make sure you follow all the instruction that the doctor gave you with regards to taking care of the stitches. The follow-up with the doctor has to be done until the stitches are removed.
- Aftereffects: The area that has undergone Liposuction will have mild bruising as well as swelling. The bruising can be more if a large area has been treated. The swelling as well the bruising might be seen up till 6 months. The area would also at times experience numbness which will generally take 6 to 8 weeks to cure.
- Do not stay inactive: You should sure not indulge yourself in heavy workouts but that does not mean you can sit idle too. Staying inactive can actually increases the risk of forming blood clots in the lungs or legs. You can resume your job two days post operation. You can also start doing mild physical activity after 2 days post Liposuction.
- Maintain a good diet: Reduce the intake of salt, sugar, Gatorade and increase the intake of protein. You can also have a glass of wine post operation as wine is a diuretic and it will help decrease the post-operative swelling.
What not do post Liposuction?
- Avoid consuming Aspirin, ibuprofen, or any kind of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) for about 3 days post-surgery as it can induce bleeding.
- Avoid application of any kind of tropical ointments on the site of incision unless advised by the surgeon.
- Avoid hot or cold compression on the area of Liposuction.
- Do not travel or take long flights immediately after the Liposuction. Long journey can increase the risk of blood clots in the legs.
The real results of Liposuction are generally not noticeable until the swelling comes down completely which also means that the results will take time to show up. During this time there can slight changes in the area treated but there is nothing to panic about. The results of the Liposuction can stay forever if healthy weight is maintained.
Also Read – Does Body Contouring Surgery really work? Here