Toned arms, tight legs, and a chiseled body – that’s all you need to get a perfectly contoured silhouette. But with diet and exercise taking their courses of time, achieving it may sound like a dream hard to come true in the near future, right? Well, not anymore! There is something that can help you lose a few inches off your body and that too within a few hours. No, we aren’t kidding! A body contour wrap can give you that ‘magical power’ to look slimmer naturally in a couple of hours. So whether you have already heard about it or are made intrigued by us, we have got you covered. Let’s know everything about a body contour wrap through this article:
What Is Body Contour Wrapping?
The Body Contour Wrapping (also referred to as ‘Body Cocoon,’ or ‘Body Mask‘) is a spa treatment in which the entire body is exfoliated, wrapped, and moisturized to help women look and feel slimmer (1). The idea originated decades back when linen sheets were used to make ‘herbal wraps.’ Now, they have evolved into thermal or plastic wraps. It is an all-natural and highly effective way to cleanse and detoxify the body, thereby causing temporary inch-loss, giving a contoured body, and enhancing the skin texture.
How Does A Body Contour Wrap Work?
The method varies from spa to spa but in general, the procedure is carried out in a dark room, either wet or while having a shower. Here are the steps: (2)
- It would be best if you lay down on a table covered with a thermal blanket, and your whole body is exfoliated with a salt scrub and a body polish followed by a shower.
- A unique mineral-rich clay body wrap solution is applied all over your body.
- You are wrapped in a thermal blanket to produce heat and keep you warm.
- You are also left alone in the room and allowed to relax completely.
- Once the time is up, you are unwrapped and rinsed thoroughly.
- Finally, a lotion is applied to your skin to moisturize it well.
Types Of Body Contour Wrap
The body contouring wraps are basically of three types, such as:
1. Pampering Wraps
These wraps are meant for moisturizing and de-stressing. They involve the massage of the skin with mud, oil, or cream, and then, the clients are wrapped and allowed to relax in a quiet ambiance with soft music.
2. Dehydration Wraps
These wraps are formulated especially for women who feel bloated due to water retention. They work through water elimination, which offers results almost similar to rigorous exercise.
3. Hydration Wraps
These wraps eliminate toxins from the body by throwing them out through the skin’s pores. Consequently, you will notice considerable differences in flabby areas of your body like the stomach, thighs, hips, etc.
Duration, Longevity, And Costs
The body wrapping takes 1 hour to 2 hours, and the effects can last up to one month. The cost of a body wrapping treatment may vary based on the types of wrap and the spa locations. However, it typically ranges anywhere between $70 and $300 for each session.
Advantages Of A Body Contour Wrap
- Your body gets detoxified by itself through the pores of the skin and that too in an all-natural way.
- It reduces your body’s water weight by eliminating excess water from it.
- You will start losing extra body weight and not gain additional weight anymore.
- If cellulite has been bothering you, it will be a quick fix for that.
- Your blood pressure is lowered, and your overall health gets improved.
- Exfoliation right before wrapping removes dead cells from the surface of your skin, revealing a fresh layer of skin underneath.
- Natural ingredients used in wrap solutions provide deep moisturization to the skin, which is even intensified with heat application.
- As the toxins are flushed out, your skin becomes much tighter, smoother, and healthier, with a lesser appearance of acne.
- It works as a good stress reliever by completely relaxing the body and mind.
- The procedure is simple and easy to do as you only need to lie in the wrap without following any complicated steps.
- The results are immediate, and you can expect to lose a few pounds right from the first session.
Also Read – Is Body Sculpting Without Surgery Possible?
Disadvantages Of A Body Contour Wrap
- It is a temporary fix rather than a permanent solution for weight loss.
- It may not be suitable for women with sensitive skin as the ingredients or fragrance of certain body wraps can cause allergies or uneasiness.
- If you are claustrophobic, you will not like to be ‘mummified’ and left in a dark room for hours. So, steer clear of this procedure.
- It is not a one-time procedure. You will need multiple sessions to flush out toxins from your system regularly and enjoy the best results.
- Based on the type of wrap chosen, the process can be expensive enough if all sessions are considered together.
Is A Body Contour Wrap Safe?
While body contour wraps are considered a ‘safe procedure’ for not involving any medication, it comes with ‘strings attached’. No matter how efficiently it cleanses your tissues and how relaxed you feel during the process, you should know the side effects before following the trend blindly. (3)
- Body contour wraps can cause too much water loss, resulting in severe dehydration. Therefore, it is crucial to consume plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated.
- Excessive dehydration can lower blood volume in your body, leading to circulatory problems. Thus, you may suffer from hypovolemic shock, which can turn out to be fatal.
- You may end up developing allergies or temporary rashes from certain body wraps, which can be cured by drinking lots of water (at least half your body weight) every day.
Hence, stay away from body contour wraps If you have a medical condition or take prescription medicines. Checking with your physician beforehand is always a wise idea. Also, ensure that you have a healthy diet and exercise regularly to make the most of your wrapping efforts.
Body wraps are essentially a spa treatment where the body is exfoliated, wrapped, and moisturized to help women look and feel slimmer. Although it is not a permanent weight loss solution, this technique aids in detoxification, shedding cellulite, and eliminating excess water from the body. The technique is considered safe; however, it may cause severe water loss resulting in dehydration in some instances.
- “Body Wraps: What to Expect” – webmd.com
- “Will Using a Body Wrap Help Me Lose Weight?” – healthline.com
- “Can Body Wrap Treatments Actually Help You Lose Weight?” – womenshealthmag.com