Chin is one of the most important parts of our face. When it comes to our facial beauty, we can’t ignore the importance of a well-proportioned chin. But sometimes the bad bone structure results into chin deficiency. If it is true for you, chin augmentation can be your savior. Let us dig into the procedure and explore all about it:
About Chin Augmentation
Chin augmentation, termed as mentoplasty as well as genioplasty, is basically a surgical process in which the shape of the chin is altered or enhanced by including an implant or changing the positions of certain bones. The fundamental structure of the face is adjusted in this process by increasing, decreasing or rounding the chin, thereby improving the balance among various facial features. One can go through this surgery in a clinic or a hospital under the guidance of a qualified professional.
1. For a Simple Implant – When it comes to reshaping the chin, a simple implant is the right choice. During this procedure, you will remain under the effects of general anesthesia and a relaxing pill. The biological, Teflon or silicone-made implant will be placed in a sack formed ahead of the chin bone and beneath the muscles by making an internal or external surgical cut. Sutures are used to keep the cut closed as well as attach the implant with the chin bone.
2. For Major Bone Movement – In case of major enhancements, the position of jw bone is altered by keeping the patient under general anesthesia. The bone is accessed by making an internal surgical cut by the side of the lower gum. Another cut is made through the jaw bone with the help of a chisel or bone saw. Now, the bone is moved to the desired position and the cut is closed with a bandage.
Also Read – Chin Injections vs. Chin Implant – Which is a Better Choice? Here
The total time required for carrying out the chin augmentation procedure is somewhere between 1 and 3 hours.
The chin augmentation surgery may impose quite a few adverse effects. Such complications associated with the procedure include bruising, blood clot, displacement of implant, inflammation, teeth damage, continuous pain, numbness, infection, blood pooling, and so on.
• Just like all other surgeries, it also comes with tenderness, swelling, pain, lack of feeling, stretching sensation, feeling of discomfort, etc. up to the first 3 months. However, you may expect to get rid of these gradually with the help of medicines.
• Instead of easting solid foods, live on soft diet and drinks for the first couple of days so that chewing can be avoided.
• It will take 5 to 7 days to remove the bandage. Also, make sure that you put on a brace during sleeping for next 4 to 6 weeks.
• Start doing light activities after 1 or 2 days of the surgery and switch to your regular work schedule after 1 week.
Also Read – Short and Spunky Chin-Length Hair – Top 10 Picks Here
Benefits of the Process
• Chin augmentation is the most effective solution for different types of chin deficiencies. As the jaw bone is manipulated as per the requirement of the patient, the facial proportions get more balanced and a perfect look is achieved.
• The result obtained from this surgery is much more realistic than that attained through prosthetic implants.
• It is a comparatively easier surgery, which can be performed efficiently within a very short time.