Maybe you are yet to hear about Micellar Water and its goodness, a lot of popular beauty brands have sworn by the ability of this ‘magical potion’ and high-profile makeup artists have become completely obsessed with it. Yes, this alcohol-free, soap-free, and almost aroma-free liquid has been setting a trend as the ultimate cleanser, which does not involve rinsing at all! Intrigued to know more? Here we go:
History Of Micellar Water
Micellar water was born out of a necessity and has actually been around for more than 100 years. During the ’90s, the tap water supply in France was really harsh (with very high mineral content) and the micellar water formula was invented through a research conducted at the University of Bristol to help local people deal with this issue. At that time, it was available only in French pharmacies. But then, it arrived in the USA and built a cult following fast. Right now, this well-kept beauty secret of French women is flooding the worldwide beauty market and people are raving about its powers.
Also Read – Best Herbal Cleansers for Dry and Oily Skin Here
About Micellar Water
Micellar water has appearance and viscosity exactly similar to water, but a completely different texture. It is also neither a face wash nor a cleansing milk. Rather, it is a unique, hypoallergenic skincare solution that comes packed with soothing natural ingredients (aloe vera and cucumber), and works as a multi-tasker by cleansing, hydrating, and beautifying the skin at the same time. The best thing about micellar water is that it does not need water to work and hence, one does not need to rinse her face after using it.
How Does It Work?
Micellar water can make our skin squeaky clean with the help of ‘Micellar Technology’. This feature of the ‘colloidal solution’ is attributed to small clusters of nano-sized, single-layer, fatty acid esters called ‘micells’. According to scientists, these microscopic round ‘bubbles’ or ‘balls’ of oil molecules i.e. micells remain suspended in soft water and act as the ‘cleansing agent’. When we apply it to our skin, micells get attracted to all impurities (dirt, oil, makeup, etc.) clinging to our facial skin, dissolve them completely, and sweep them away while leaving a cleansed, hydrated and radiant finish behind. As micellar water does not contain soap or any other harsh chemical, it does not create a foaming solution.
Also Read – Best Cleansers for Sensitive Skin Here
What Skin Type Is It Best For?
Micellar water is extremely gentle and pretty hydrating, which cleanses the skin without drying it out. Therefore, it is best suitable for dry and sensitive skin. However, oily-skinned beauties might find it a bit disappointing. Being loaded with fatty acid esters, it might not get the job done perfectly for an oily and acne-prone skin.
How To Use It For Cleansing Skin?
As said before, micellar water is more than a regular cleanser and it also does not need to be used along with water. All you need to do is soak a cotton swab / pad or a small cotton ball with the solution and wipe your face gently. If you are using it for makeup removal, focus on your eyes and lips while sweeping the cotton pad across your face. Your facial skin will feel absolutely cleansed and refreshed in minutes. Apply your favorite moisturizer and you are ready to go!
Benefits Of Including It In Your Beauty Kit
And now, here comes the best part of this post. Why should you include micellar water in your beauty kit? Well, here is the bunch of benefits this ‘miracle’ solution offers to us:
- A gentle product with no typical irritants like soap, alcohol, and fragrance.
- Does not need to be used along with water. There is no need of rinsing your face right after the application, which makes the process hassle-free. Just keep a cotton pad handy and you are good to go.
- Does not leave an oily residue after use.
- Does not dry out the skin like several regular cleansers.
- Hydrates the skin and gives it a healthy glow right after the application.
- Gives a soothing and calming sensation.
Also Read – Answer These 5 Questions Before You Purchase Your Daily Face Cleanser Here
- Does not contain alcohol, which ensures zero stinging or tingling sensation.
- A perfect cleansing solution for sensitive skin (not many cleansers available in the market are intended for sensitive skin) that does not cause irritation or inflammation.
- A greater and safer alternative to regular chemical-laden facial wipes.
- Removes all sorts of makeup easily and effectively with no forceful dragging or rubbing.
- Can be used for correcting makeup blunders and getting a neater look.
- Makes your skincare routine easy by cutting it in half.
- An excellent travel-friendly choice for cleansing and hydrating the facial skin on the go.
However, micellar water might not always be a suitable option for getting rid of very stubborn makeup. Hence, if you are trying to remove thick coats of eyeliner, waterproof mascara, or body glitter, you should stick to traditional makeup remover.
Is micellar water the same as a toner?
Yes, micellar water works like a toner. It extracts makeup, impurities and oils from the pores leaving the skin clear and replenished. This can be used as an alternate to your regular makeup remover.
Can you clean your makeup brushes with micellar water?
You can use micellar water to clean your makeup brushes. However make sure to avoid metal part of your brush as it can damage the brush.
Image Credit – Featured, 1, 2, 3