Time does take a toll on the human body. Despite the exercise and fitness activities, fat rolls gather at our back region as the days go by. Aside from this being unpleasant, it also makes the bra fit uncomfortable. There has been some attempted solution for this, mostly liposuction, but the liposuction takes out the fat and leaves behind loose and saggy skin (1). These excess rolls of fat and saggy skin appear in the upper, lower, and middle back. And you may not be able to fix them with exercise or non-surgical procedures, especially as that part of the body is not easily toned (2). The bra-line back lift surgery is a cosmetic surgery that offers a solution to this condition. In this article, we share extensive guidelines on bra-line back lift surgery and what it involves.
What is the Bra line back lift surgery?
Although this name describes the surgery process, the surgical procedure may also be called Torsoplasty, Back lift, or Upper back lift (3).
The bra-line back lift surgery is carried out to eliminate the excess fat and saggy skin rolls, i.e., contour, tighten, and firm the back – upper, middle, and lower. It does not target fat tissues; rather, it helps remove the excess tissues and trim down the back to a smoother, flatter, and slimmer version (4).
This cosmetic surgery has become a popular one over the years because the fat tissue it removes-the back rolls, is thick, considerably stubborn, and difficult to get rid of by diet and exercise plans (5). The surgery also becomes a necessity when there is a rapid weight loss which leaves behind flaps of saggy skin.
This surgery procedure successfully removes the stubborn fat bumps and bulges and carefully hides the scars under the bra line. This procedure can be carried out alongside other surgical procedures such as breast reduction, liposuction, breast lift, and tummy tuck.
Also Read – 15 Methods to Treat Your Breast Reduction Scars That Will Never Fail
What are the causes of saggy skin?
- Age – A reduction in collagen and elastin production.
- Rapid weight loss – This may be from diet, bariatric surgery, or exercise.
- Liposuction procedure
- Excessive sun exposure (6)
What does the bra line back lift surgery involve?
- A horizontal incision is cut across the back during the procedure, and the contour process is carried out.
- The procedure is carried out under general anesthesia to ensure your comfort and safety through the process.
- Excessive skin tissues are removed through the horizontal incision to tighten, flatten, and smoothen the back skin.
- Sometimes the procedure extends beyond the back; in such cases, the incision is made longer to accommodate the areas. It may extend to the underarms, breast crease, and buttocks.
- The surgery incision is made in such a way that the suture is completely hidden by your clothing, bathing suits, bras, and most of your dresses.
- The procedure corrects the skin laxity and smoothens the waistline. It involves removing excess visible fat rolls, removing excessive skin tissues and results in tighter, smoother, and firmer back skin.
- After the surgery, you will be instructed to wear compression garments for weeks through the healing process.
- You may need to intentionally make use of your right hand as instructed by your surgeon. However, you may be required to avoid all forms of strenuous work on the upper body for several weeks.
- You may also resume work, including driving yourself to and fro. But no strenuous activities.
Also Read – Laser Bra Breast Surgery To Lift Your Breasts
Who is an ideal candidate for this procedure?
The ideal candidate for the bra-line back lift surgery will be one
- With loose, sagging skin in the back region
- Has quit smoking at least one month before the intended procedure.
- Is in good health – and confirmed so by the doctor.
- Is above the age of 18 (7)
- Has avoided alcohol consumption for weeks before the surgery.
Also Read – 15 Best Breast Enlargement Creams in India for an Attractive B-Line
The surgical process – what to expect
- During the consultation with your surgeon, series of preparatory tests may be carried out to ensure your health is in top shape for the surgery.
- This will also include discussions on surgery expectations, explanations, and detailed instructions for a successful experience.
- You may be required to quit smoking at least 30 days before your surgery appointment.
- You may be required to halt or discontinue medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and aspirin.
- You may be required to make some changes to your dietary plans.
- You may also be required to make some alterations to your daily activities.
- All these changes are requested to ensure you have a successful surgery and speedy post-surgery healing.
- Your surgeon will request you wear a swimsuit or your bra. When you do that, he will make the markups on your skin, outlining the areas for tissue removal.
- The surgery is carried out under general anesthesia. This places you in a sleep-like state, such that you feel no pain or discomfort during the process.
- The process takes about an hour to be completed.
- Your surgeon makes a horizontal incision along your bra line during the surgery, as previously outlined during the markup.
- Through this incision, the excessive folds and bulges of skin are removed, and the remaining skin tissues are stretched to connect.
- The stretching helps to eliminate all forms of folds and wrinkles.
- The connection is made by stitching the skin together, carefully ensuring the suture runs under your bra line such that the surgical scar will be hidden beneath your bra.
- This procedure removes all the excess folds and bulges and leaves you with a firm, smooth, and tightened back, with well-toned skin.
- After successfully closing the surgical incision, a bandage or tape is placed over it.
- You will make up in the recovery room when the general anesthesia wears off.
- And you will be required to wear a compression garment.
- When the anesthesia wears off, expect to feel some pains, swellings, and bruises from the surgery. However, these may wear off after a few days.
- You will be given some prescribed medications to help with the healing process, pains, and discomfort.
- The post-surgery hospital stay may last a few days, after which someone can drive you home. However, you will require the assistance of friends and family who will care for you.
- The post-surgery home recovery period is short; you may see a full recovery in two weeks.
- You may feel exhausted during this healing period; listen to your body and take rests as needed.
- You may be given some movement restrictions and asked to avoid strenuous activities, limit exercise, move a certain way, lay down a certain way, seat a certain way. They are given to help facilitate your healing process.
- Temporary restrictions may be issued on daily activities such as wearing bras and other supporting garments, immersion, and long baths in water.
- The result of the process becomes visible quickly, as the back becomes flatter, with a slimmer and firmer waistline.
- There will be follow-up scheduled appointments to monitor your healing progress.
- The complete healing results may take up to six months.
- To maintain this result, you may need to pay attention to your body weight to prevent rapid fluctuations – weight gain or loss.
How much does it cost?
The bra-line back lift surgery is considered cosmetic surgery and is not covered by insurance. Depending on your location, the procedure costs between $7000 to $10,000. This cost is affected by
- The cost of living at the location of the surgery
- The surgeon’s fees
- The anesthesia fees
- Hospital costs
- Medications and laboratory test
- The complexity of the procedure
- Post-surgery garments
What are the benefits?
Some benefits of this procedure include
- Immediate visible improvement. The results of the surgery are immediately noticeable
- The surgery gets rid of the thick and stubborn excess skin
- It improves the appearance of the body’s rear-view
- The incision scar is well hidden
- The result gives a toned back with a firm and smoother appearance
- There is a short post-surgery recovery time
- The complication rate is low
- An improved body and self-esteem
What are the Possible side effects?
The complication rate for this surgery is low. But possible occurrences include
- Bleeding – This may occur as a result of incision re-opening
- Nausea and vomiting
- Infection – This occurs when bacteria get in the incision and can be avoided by practicing good hygiene during after-care. Signs of this infection may appear as itchiness, skin redness, and discharge.
- Anesthesia risk – Possible reactions to the used anesthesia. This may include different forms of allergic reactions, respiratory complications, and cardiac issues.
- Difficulty while urinating
- Skin numbness
- Sore throat
- Blood clots – This is often experienced with patients who smoke or who have diabetes.
Working with a certified plastic surgeon, one experienced in the surgical procedure, may reduce these side effects.
Also Read – Do You Need a Breast Lift Surgery After Weight Loss?
Despite the daily exercise routine and dieting plans, some thick and stubborn rolls of fat appear on the back region – the upper, middle, and sometimes lower region. These rolls of loose and saggy skin tissues are difficult to get rid of through non-surgical processes. The bra-line back lift surgery is carried out to get rid of these fat rolls and contour, tighten, and firm the back – upper, middle, and lower. These thick and stubborn rolls of saggy skin may appear as a result of age, rapid weight loss, liposuction procedure, or excessive exposure to sunlight. The bra-line back lift surgery procedure gets rid of all the excess folds and bulges, and leaves you with a firm, smooth, and tightened back, with well-toned skin. The post-surgery, home recovery period is a short one, you may see a full recovery in two weeks. After a successful bra-line back lift surgery, you may look at yourself in the mirror and appreciate your appearance from all angles.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you combine the bra line back lift surgical procedure with another?
Yes, you may need to undergo other surgery procedures alongside the bra line back lift surgery. The aim is to arrive at the desired body expectation. This will be discussed with your surgeon during your consultation session.
Can you lose some inches at the waist during the bra line back lift surgery?
The excess skin tissues are removed, and the remaining tissues are stretched to connect and stitched up. Yes, you may lose some inches as a result of this.
How long does the result from this procedure last?
The results are long-lasting. And it lasts for as long as you can maintain your body weight without rapid weight fluctuations – addition or loss. This also means you have to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
How large is the surgical scar from a bra line back lift procedure?
The size of the scar will be dependent on some factors. Such as the amount of the skin tissues intended for removal and the exact location of these deposited skin tissues. However, this scar is narrow and is sutured to hide beneath your bra line.
Can you get rid of excess, saggy back rolls without a surgical procedure?
No, you may lose body fat through exercise and meal plans, but the way to get rid of the excess loose skin is a surgical procedure.
How soon can the results be visible?
The results of the bra-line back lift surgery are immediately visible. Optimal aesthetics may be noticed 6 months after the procedure, then every form of swelling would have completely disappeared.
- “Bra line Back Lift” -georgiaplastic.com
- “Bra Line Back Lift” -hkbsurgery.com
- “Bra Line Back Lift” – clinic360.com
- “SEATTLE BRA LINE BACK LIFT” – drsalemy.com
- “BRA LINE BACK LIFT CAN HELP LOOK BEST EVERY ANGLE” – drlesliestevens.com
- “Eliminating Back Fat Rolls with the New Bra-Line Back Lift” – yourplasticsurgeryguide.com
- “Bra Line Back Lift” – centreforsurgery.com