When your vagina does not produce enough lubrication or when the lining of the vagina starts thinning( it is called vaginal atrophy), you experience dryness in the vagina. It is accompanied by a parched and itchy sensatation in the vagina and pain during intercourse. There are several prescription medicines available for this condition. But before heading that way, there are also many home remedies that you can try for vaginal dryness.
What is the vaginal lubricant composed of?
The vaginal lubricant is produced in the cervical glands and vagina. But most of it is manufactured in the blood stream and it is a fluid rich in sodium, calcium, potassium and amino acids. It is thus essential to eat a lot of proteins and omega-3 fatty acids and drink a lot of water to have optimum lubrication.
Causes of Vaginal Dryness
To cure anything, it is important to know its cause. Let us see what the causes of vaginal dryness are.
- Oral contraceptive pills that control the amount of estrogen produced in the body can cause vaginal dryness.
- Chemotherapy or reaction to some such strong medication can also lead to dryness in the vagina.
- Stress and anxiety put together can curb your body’s natural sexual responses which is responsible for the lubrication of the vagina.
- Not getting enough hydration or nutrition to produce the lubrication.
Natural Remedies to treat Vaginal Dryness
- Diet – Eat food that is rich in essential fatty acids, like, sunflower seeds, fish, sesame seeds. Consume food rich in isoflavins which help in regulating your estrogen levels – celery, flax seeds and soy.
- Hydration- The vaginal lining which is to be lubricated is nothing but skin. You need water for your skin to fight dryness. The same way, you need to drink plenty of water to ensure that your vaginal lining can produce lubrication.
- Fenugreek and Fennel Seeds- Soak a teaspoonful of fenugreek or fennel seeds in water overnight and drink the water the following morning. The estrogen like effect produced by these seeds will help in increasing the vaginal lubrication.
- Change your personal care products- If you are using a harsh soap or body wash, then it is time to change it and go in for one of the newer vaginal washes to wash your intimate areas. They will clean without drying out your vaginal area too much and also maintain the right pH balance.
- Coconut Oil- This is one of the safest remedies for curing vaginal dryness. Take a spoonful of virgin coconut oil and apply it all over your vaginal. Edible coconut oil is completely safe. Massaging your vagina with coconut oil will not just keep it lubricated but will also help in improving its elasticity.
- Olive Oil- Just like coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil is another remedy for vaginal dryness. This oil is rich in vitamin E and is a safe option to increase the lubrication in the vagina.
- Avoid douching- Douching can lead to excessive dryness in the vagina and can be one of the underlying causes of the soreness or dryness. Try and avoid douching to see significant change in your lubrication levels.