When it comes to dying our hair, we all leave the handiwork to the professionals. It not only takes significant amounts of time and money but also exposes our precious locks to extremely harmful chemical compounds. So what if we want to opt out of those chemicals and reach for natural hair dyes instead? Well, beetroot can be a great choice for that. Yes, the juice of the food makes a potent natural hair dye and hence, beetroot hair dying is a thing these days. Whether you are allergic to commercial hair dyes or simply want to avoid them, you can go for this simple alternative for getting stunning red tints on your beautiful hair. But how to dye your hair with beets? Is it really effective or does it turn into a complete disaster? Why should you even give it a try? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Read on below to know more.
What Is Beetroot?
Beet is a plant belonging to the species Beta Vulgaris. It can be of several types including red beet, sugar beet, table beet, garden beet, golden beet, etc. Though they have remarkable similarities in shape and size, they could be different both genetically, aesthetically, and nutritionally. Beet is mostly cultivated for their edible leaves called beet greens, stems, and taproots called beetroots. The root vegetable, with a history dating as far back as 4,000 years, is highly appreciated for its medicinal properties. It is a great source of dietary fibers, vitamins (B1, B2, B5, B6, B9, C), minerals (potassium, magnesium, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, phosphorous, selenium), choline, and many other essential nutrients, which make it a true superfood for us. The carbohydrate content of beetroot is also much lesser than that of many other starchy vegetables. Besides, sugar beets are used for preparing sugar while red or golden beets are used as a natural food or hair coloring agent.
Beetroots are widely used as a natural treatment for fatty liver, hypercholesterol, hypertension, and muscle soreness. It can also help in improving athletic performance considerably (1).
Read Also – How To Dye Or Lighten Your Hair Simply With Lemon Juice?
How Do Beets Add Color To Your Hair?
Since the 16th century, the juice of beetroot has been used as a natural red color and it was the Victorians who started using it as a temporary hair dye. The vegetable contains betacyanins, a type of betalains, which contribute to their deep red color. Betalains are a class of red and yellow indole-derived pigments, which are usually found in Caryophyllales and were first extracted from beets only. They can be categorized into betaxanthins (yellow to orange) and betacyanins (reddish to violet). In beetroots, they replace the pigments called anthocyanins and create a distinctive shade of red or purple. Hence, when you apply beet juice to your hair, its color changes to a beautiful reddish-purple one. However, the color added by beetroots to your locks is not much intense and you need to combine it with other natural ingredients if you want a darker hue (2).
Beetroot for Dandruff?
Beetroot has antibacterial properties and when applied directly on the scalp, it eliminates dandruff causing bacteria. It keeps the scalp area moisturized thus making your hair roots healthy.
Why Dye Your Hair With Beets?
Now, the question is why should you give beet hair dying a try? Is it only a hype? Or, is it worth the effort? Check out the reasons to know what are the benefits of dying your hair with beets:
- It is an absolutely natural way to dye your hair. You do not need to use harmful chemicals that can wreak havoc on the health of your beautiful locks.
- Beet juice gives a powerful yet temporary hair dye so that you can customize its intensity according to your desire and get back to the actual color of your hair whenever you wish.
- Being rich in nutrients, beet juice boosts the circulation of blood throughout the scalp, which stimulates hair follicles and promotes hair growth.
- The anti-pruritic properties of beetroot help the scalp get rid of dead cells, dandruff, and itchiness while conditioning it thoroughly.
- Frequent application of beet juice gives hair a smooth texture and a gorgeous shine.
- This is a much cheaper alternative to store-bought hair dyes or salon toners.
Beets contain lots of nitrates, which get converted into nitric oxide in our body through a chain reaction. This increases blood flow in the scalp, which results in healthier and stronger locks.
Read Also – DIY: Henna And Coffee Hair Dye For Shiny And Beautiful Hair
How To Dye Your Hair With Beets – 5 DIY Recipes
Here we have compiled a list of 5 most effective DIY recipes that would help you become a redhead with beets right from the comfort of your home:
1. Beet And Coconut Oil
Rely on the year-old magical hair potion coconut oil to perk up the color of a beet. While the veggie extract alters the color of your hair beautifully, the nourishing properties of coconut oil improve its health and make the dye last longer to give you an attractive mane.
- Extract the juice of a large beet in a small mixing bowl.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of melted and whipped coconut oil into it.
- Combine the ingredients thoroughly with a whisk or a fork.
- Put on a pair of plastic gloves and apply the mixture all over your hair.
- Make sure that no hair strand is left so that the color is distributed evenly.
- Cover your head with a plastic wrap and wait for a couple of hours.
- Then, rinse and wash your hair with lukewarm water and condition it as usual.
2. Beet, Carrot, And Sugar
Coconut oil is not the only natural remedy for extending the lifetime of beet juice hair color. Consider another easily available veggie carrot for this and the result will be wonderful! The color can be even stronger in the presence of sugar.
- Take (1/2) cup of beet juice in a small pan and pour (1/2) cup of carrot juice into it. Also, add 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Now, put the pan over medium heat and wait for 4-5 minutes.
- Keep stirring the content of the pan with a spoon so that all ingredients are mixed properly. Heating up the mixture will activate it and thus application will be easier and smoother for you.
- Now, move to the next step and work the natural dye mixture through your hair slowly.
- Leave it on at least for 1 hour and then, rinse out.
Beetroot for Hair Loss?
Hair loss can be caused by multiple reasons including deficiencies of minerals. Beetroot is rich in minerals like folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. Apply beetroot juice to treat your hair naturally.
3. Beet, Ginger, And Olive Oil
What can be more moisturizing for your hair than a soothing olive oil massage? Do not forget it even when planning to get a beet hair dye and include the super nourishing oil in your dye mixture for an amazing scalp treatment. For added benefits, include fresh ginger in the recipe.
- Juice up 2 large fresh beets and add 1 tablespoon of fresh shredded ginger to it.
- Now, pour 2 teaspoons of olive oil into the bowl and mix everything well with a spoon.
- Apply it to your scalp and massage for 4-5 minutes.
- Then, work slowly through your hair starting from the roots.
- Wait for 1-2 hours and let the dye work.
- Rinse well with cold water and condition.
Read Also – Guide To Dye Your Hair Naturally With Coffee
4. Beet, Rose Water, And Black Tea
A simple hair rinse made of the beet can give your hair an attractive makeover by changing its color naturally. Some freshly brewed black tea and a little rose water can make your red tint look even more gorgeous.
- Extract the juice of a medium-sized beet and transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Pour (1/2) cup of freshly brewed black tea. Also, add (1/2) cup of pure rose water.
- Combine everything together and your antioxidant-rich hair-dying rinse is absolutely ready.
- Using this at least once every week will help you hold the red tint of your hair for a longer time.
5. Beet With Herbal Shampoo
Last but not the least; you can prepare a beet juice-shampoo mixture by adding the veggie extract to your mild herbal shampoo. Doing it regularly will give your mane a reddish hue. You may increase or decrease the amount of beet juice depending upon the strength of color you desire. The procedure is super easy and the outcomes are mind-blowing!
- Chop up a large beet and squeeze out the juice into a small mixing bowl.
- Take out the required amount of shampoo into it.
- Mix both ingredients well with a spoon to form a smooth paste.
- Apply it all over your hair and massage for a few minutes.
- Rinse away with plain water and apply your favorite conditioner.
How to Make The Most Of Your Beet Hair Dye?
We have also come up with some tips that will help you get the most out of your effort of dying hair with beets:
Warm It Up
Warm up beet juice a little bit before applying onto your hair. This helps in making the pigments active.
Cover Your Hair
Always cover your hair with a shower cap or plastic wrap after saturating your hair with the beet juice. This will allow your body heat to promote the dying significantly.
Stay Under Sunlight
If you want your beet juice dye to last longer, spend the resting time under sunlight. It has been seen that sunlight helps the juice work better on the hair.
Although beet juice color is natural, it is quite strong and can stain your sink or bathtub easily. So, always perform the hair dying activity outside a room. To prevent staining of your skin and clothes, apply Vaseline onto your ears and along your hairline, and also wear an old t-shirt.
Read Also – Egg Hair Treatment – The ‘One’ Solution For All Your Hair Problems!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is It Safe To Use Beet Juice For Hair Dying?
Beet hair dying is absolutely safe and effective. Being a natural ingredient, beetroot does not harm your hair at all. Rather, it takes great care of the health of your locks and makes them grow exponentially.
How Does The Hair look After The Procedure?
Well, it depends on the present color of the hair. If the current hair color is black, brown, or light brown, beet juice will turn it darker and more purple. Conversely, if the current hair color is blonde or dark blonde, it will be lighter and pinkish-purple.
Can I Use Store-Bought Beet Juice?
It is always advised that you apply the freshly extracted juice of good organic beetroots to your hair. However, you can also buy a can of organic beet juice from a reputed brand if you do not have access to fresh beetroots.
Can I Use Beet Juice With Henna?
Combining beetroot juice with henna will give you silky smooth hair with a reddish-brown tint. All you need to do is mix the juice with your henna mixture and apply just like you apply henna to your hair.