In today’s oversaturated cosmetics market, finding the right cleansing lotion for your face may not be as simple as you may think. Conventional cosmetics contain chemicals and toxins that could potentially dry your skin. Apart from not being healthy for us and the environment, most beauty products are also way too expensive. If you want to save money and avoid synthetic chemicals, you should give a try to herbal cleansing lotions made right in your kitchen. With a little bit of know-how, it’s not at all difficult to create a natural homemade facial cleansing lotion that will do wonders for your complexion.
What Are Homemade Cleansing Lotions?
Homemade cleansing lotions are a great option to pamper yourself and give your skin the royal treatment you deserve without sacrificing quality. To create it, all you have to do is combine simple, natural superfood ingredients, and voila, you get a gentle and effective face cleanser. DIY facial cleansing lotions will eliminate dirt and makeup from your face while hydrating your skin and leaving it refreshingly clean, soft, and rejuvenated.
In recent years, the green beauty movement has grown enormously. Even though natural cosmetics have become hotter than ever, many products that claim to be “natural” and “green”, actually aren’t. This happens because the term “natural cosmetics” is not regulated by the FDA and there is a lack of a clear regulatory definition of the term. (1)
Why Use Homemade Cleansing Lotion for Face?
Cleansing the skin may be the most basic step of your skincare routine, but it also plays a powerful role in creating a radiant complexion. Considering that most beauty products you find in the store are filled with mysterious chemicals, the most simple solution might be to create your own natural and herbal cleanser that is not loaded with harmful chemicals. Here are 5 additional reasons you should create your herbal cleansing lotion:
- Making your face cleansers is incredibly easy.
- You will know exactly what’s going into it.
- The homemade herbal cleansing lotion has no artificial fragrances, no preservatives, and harsh chemicals.
- The lotion is hydrating and packed with nutrients.
- Making your natural face cleanser is quite economical, and you will save tons of money over time.
Many personal care products include fragrances derived from petrochemicals that could be harmful to human health. Manufacturers are not required to list their fragrance ingredients on product labels because fragrances are considered a “trade secret” and therefore protected from regulators. (2)
DIY Herbal Cleansing Lotion For Face
The best thing about this DIY herbal facial cleansing lotion is that it suits all skin types. This facial cleanser will rejuvenate and refresh your face whether your skin is normal, dry, oily, combination, or sensitive. In addition, the natural ingredients present in it are not only safe but also relatively healthy for your skin. Moreover, this DIY face cleansing lotion is the perfect recipe for a beginner wanting to start making their natural products. So, here is the entire recipe for you:
Difficulty Level: Easy
Yields: 6 ounces
- Fresh elderberry flowers – 1/2 cup
- Fresh fennel leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Buttermilk – 1/4 cup
- Pure raw honey – 1 tablespoon
- Distilled water – 1/2 cup
- A medium-sized mixing bowl
- A small bowl
- A hand whisk / a fork
- A small strainer
- A storage container with a lid / a bottle with a cap
Method Of Preparation:
- Start with bringing the distilled water to a boil.
- Put the fresh elderberry flowers in the mixing bowl and pour the boiling water over it.
- Add fresh fennel leaves to the hot water.
- Allow the flowers and the leaves to steep until the entire mixture cools down.
- Take the strainer (or cheesecloth) and strain the infusion into the small bowl.
- Add buttermilk and pure raw honey to it.
- Blend well by using the hand whisk (or fork).
- Once the mixture becomes silky smooth, you are done with the preparation of your homemade herbal facial cleansing lotion.
- Pour it into the storage container or the bottle and close the lid or the cap.
- Store it in a refrigerator for as long as 10 days.
Method Of Application:
Now, as you have prepared your own herbal facial cleansing lotion, it is time to learn how to apply it. Here are the steps:
- Take a pea-sized amount of your freshly prepared homemade cleansing lotion onto your palm or a small cotton ball.
- Apply it to your face and neck.
- Then, massage the lotion into your skin gently.
- Wash off with lukewarm water thoroughly.
- Pat your skin dry.
Tips And Warnings:
- Elderberry flowers are the best choice for your homemade herbal facial cleansing lotion. However, you can also use lavender flowers or calendula flowers as alternatives.
- If fresh flowers are not available, replace them with dried ones. For example, you will need ¼ cup of dried elderberry flowers for this recipe.
- In case you don’t have fresh fennel leaves, go for the dried ones. Make sure to reduce the amount to 1/2 teaspoon.
- As this homemade cleansing lotion is made with pure herbal ingredients and does not contain any preservatives, you cannot store it for an extended period. That’s why you should make only a small amount of the product and stay away from preparing it in larger batches.
Benefits Of Homemade Herbal Cleansing Lotion
You are all probably dying to know whether a homemade cleansing lotion made of herbal ingredients and honey can cleanse your face perfectly. But is it worth the effort? First, let’s check out the benefits offered by this DIY product:
- It perfectly cleans your skin without ripping the moisture out of it. The general CTM (cleansing, toning, and moisturizing) routine recommends washing the face twice a day, but if you want to, you can cleanse your face even more with this fresh homemade herbal lotion as it is absolutely free from dehydrating and damaging chemical compounds. After using it, your skin will feel clean, soft, and smooth.
- It contains the infusion of elderberry flowers, which is known to be a great source of antioxidants. In addition, it can fight against the oxidative damages caused to the skin by free radicals, thereby preventing aging and giving a youthful glow to your skin.
- It is also rich in bioflavonoids, which are highly helpful in toning up the skin. The astringent properties of bioflavonoids can shrink the large pores so that your skin becomes tighter and firmer, with reduced possibilities of breakouts. Bioflavonoids are also quite effective in averting signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots.
Following a healthy skincare routine is essential for maintaining beautiful skin. An important part of a solid skincare routine is cleansing your face. Since conventional cosmetics contain chemicals and toxins that could potentially harm your skin and health, switching to homemade natural face cleansers could be a great option. The meticulously formulated combination of fresh elderberry flowers, fennel leaves, buttermilk, pure raw honey, and distilled water will rejuvenate your face and make it luminous. Just remember, no matter how often you use this homemade herbal cleansing lotion for your face, you should religiously follow the basic cleansing, toning, and moisturizing regimen to make the most of it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are homemade oil cleansers good for your skin?
Oil is a great way to remove makeup and heal and soothe sensitive skin gently despite the warnings you might have heard. The basic idea behind oil cleansing is that “oil dissolves oil”; in other words, cleansing your face with oil is supposed to eliminate excess sebum and remove dead skin, pollutants, and dirt without drying your skin. (3)
Can I clean my face with coconut oil?
Many dermatologists recommend cleaning your face with coconut oil. It is hailed as a magical beauty ingredient that supposedly cures all. However, if you are using it as a cleanser, make sure to thoroughly remove it afterward as it could otherwise leave you with oily skin.
How can I make a homemade milk cleanser?
It is quite simple, actually. You can dip a cotton ball in milk and gently rub it all over your face and neck. After that, rinse it thoroughly with lukewarm water.
Is milk a good face cleanser?
Milk is known to be one of the best and cheapest ingredients for skincare. It helps remove dirt and dead cells from the skin without clogging your pores.
- “Natural Cosmetics: Products Without a Clear Definition” – natlawreview.com
- “Why smelling good could come with a cost to health” – theguardian.com
- “Everything You Need to Know About the Oil Cleansing Method” – healthline.com