A good cleanser is the very basic need for proper skin care. It is even better to have a natural one that is not loaded with harmful chemicals. Hence, it is recommended that you opt for something herbal, specially made at home. We give you the DIY recipe of an herbal facial cleansing lotion here. Check it out:
DIY Herbal Cleansing Lotion For Face
The best thing about this DIY herbal facial cleansing lotion is that it suits all skin types i.e. normal, dry, oily, combination, and sensitive. The natural ingredients present in it are not only safe but also quite healthy for our skin. Moreover, the lotion is pretty easy to make and very affordable. So, here is the entire recipe for you:
Also Read – 8 Reasons Why You Should Not Use Soap for Cleansing Here
Difficulty Level: Easy
Yields: 6 ounces
- Fresh elderberry flowers – (1/2) cup
- Fresh fennel leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Buttermilk – (1/4) cup
- Pure raw honey – 1 tablespoon
- Distilled water – (1/2) cup
- A medium-sized mixing bowl
- A small bowl
- A hand whisk / a fork
- A small strainer / a few cheesecloth
- A storage container with a lid / a bottle with a cap
Method Of Preparation:
- Start with bringing the distilled water to a boil.
- Put the fresh elderberry flowers in the mixing bowl and pour the boiling water over it.
- Add fresh fennel leaves to the hot water.
- Allow the flowers and the leaves to steep until the entire mixture cools down.
- Take the strainer (or cheesecloth) and strain the infusion into the small bowl.
- Add buttermilk and pure raw honey to it.
- Blend well by using the hand whisk (or fork).
- Once the mixture becomes silky smooth, you are done with the preparation of your homemade herbal facial cleansing lotion.
- Pour it into the storage container or the bottle and close the lid or the cap.
- Store it in a refrigerator for as long as 10 days.
Also Read – How To Do A Steam Cleansing & Hydrating Facial Here
Method Of Application:
Now as you have already prepared your own herbal facial cleansing lotion, it is time to learn the process of application. Here are the steps:
- Take a pea-sized amount of your freshly prepared homemade cleansing lotion onto your palm or a small cotton ball.
- Apply it to your face and neck and spread by using your fingertips.
- Then, massage the lotion into your skin gently with the help of the pads of your fingers.
- Wash off with lukewarm water thoroughly.
- Pat your skin dry.
Tips And Warning:
- Elderberry flowers are the best choice for homemade herbal facial cleansing lotion. However, you can also use lavender flowers or calendula flowers as alternatives.
- If fresh flowers are not available, replace them with dried ones. You will need (1/4) cup of dried elderberry flowers for this recipe.
- In case you don’t get fresh fennel leaves, go for the dried ones. But make sure that you reduce the amount to (1/2) teaspoon.
- As this is a homemade cleansing lotion made with pure herbal ingredients, you cannot store it for a longer period. Hence, try to use the freshest ingredients as much as possible.
- This homemade cleansing lotion does not contain any preservative. So, stay away from preparing it in larger batches.
- Be careful while using buttermilk in this lotion. It might get spoilt easily. Therefore, try to make it yourself at home prior to making this lotion.
Also Read – 10 amazing cleansing oils for beautiful skin Here
Benefits Of Homemade Herbal Cleansing Lotion
Well, this is the most important part of the article as we all want to know how a homemade cleansing lotion made of all herbal ingredients can cleanse our face perfectly. Is it really worth the effort? Let’s check out the benefits offered by the DIY product:
- It gives squeaky clean skin without ripping the moisture out of it. While the general CTM (cleansing, toning and moisturizing) routine recommends washing the face twice a day, you can cleanse your face even thrice with this fresh homemade herbal lotion as it is absolutely free from dehydrating and damaging chemical compounds. Rather, your skin will feel clean, soft and smooth after every wash.
- It contains the infusion of elderberry flowers, which is known to be a great source of antioxidants. It can fight against the oxidative damages caused to our skin by free radicals, thereby preventing aging and giving a youthful glow naturally.
- It is also rich in bioflavonoids, which are highly helpful in toning up the skin. The astringent properties of bioflavonoids can shrink your large pores so that your skin becomes tighter and firmer with reduced possibilities of breakouts. Bioflavonoids are also quite effective in averting signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines and age spots.
Following a healthy skincare routine is essential for getting as well as maintaining a healthy skin. No matter how often you use this homemade herbal cleansing lotion for your face, you should religiously follow the basic cleansing, toning, and moisturizing regimen to make the most of it.