Acne is the bane for all women, and we all hate it with unequaled passion. If you are among those women who have experienced the saddening phase of acne breakout, then this post is for you! Acne breakouts can happen due to more than one specific reason. From hormonal changes during adolescence, stress-triggered conditions to improper diet – anything can cause an acne breakout. But thankfully, there are various ways to cope with acne. One of those magic tricks to clear acne is Calamine Lotion (1). Please scroll down and find out all about it.
What is Acne?
Acne, or acne vulgaris (2), as it is scientifically called, is a condition when your skin’s hair follicles are clogged with oil and dead skin cells. These oil glands produce the natural oils of the skin called sebum. When mixed with dirt or dead skin, sebum could clog our pores, and the oil glands get infected, leading to whiteheads, blackheads, or pimples. The infected oil glands or sebaceous glands cause red-colored and swelled-up bumps when active – thus resulting in acne. These are not only unsightly but may itch as well. The acne or pimple heals slowly on its own, but if you face this problem often, you should visit a dermatologist for a consultation. Acne is most common among teenagers when they attain puberty. Although, it may cause later at any age due to other factors like stress, hormonal imbalance, diet, or pollution. (3)
Shattering Acne Myth: Scrubbing your face often makes acne go away.
How Can Calamine Lotion Help?
Calamine lotion is a mildly scented medication used to treat mild infections and irritations on the skin. It is usually a combination of zinc oxide and ferric oxide or a zinc carbonate compound. It has soothing properties and can ward off itching, burning, and irritation of the skin. In addition, its chemical composition makes it a mild antiseptic, so it can inhibit the growth of microbes and prevent infection on the skin.
What Are The Key Properties Of Calamine Lotion?
Calamine lotion has numerous properties that aid to relieve acne (4):
Astringent Properties: Calamine Lotion contains astringent properties that help shrink and tighten skin tissues like pores and glands, thus preventing the build-up of excess sebum and dead skin in the glands.
Antiseptic Properties: Calamine Lotion has antiseptic properties that alleviate and slow down the growth of bacteria or other acne-causing pathogens.
Anti-inflammatory Properties: Calamine Lotion soothes and calms irritated and infected skin. From being an anti-itch to antipruritic medicine, it relaxes the inflamed acne and scars.
Shattering Acne Myth: Popping pimples/acne makes them go away sooner.
How Should You Use Calamine Lotion?
- Use a mild soap or face wash to clean your face to remove excessive oil from your skin. Do not scrub the skin as that would only irritate it further.
- After you have washed your face, pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Using a piece of a cotton ball, apply the lotion on the infected area or directly on the acne. (If you want to use your fingertip, ensure that your hand is sanitized before using the lotion.)
- Do not rub the lotion. Instead, gently dab it on your skin.
- You can apply a second coat if you need it, but it is not required in most cases.
- Repeat three to four times a day.
Shattering Acne Myth: Applying makeup or eating chocolates and oily food can cause acne.
- Follow the above-mentioned steps if you wish to leave the Calamine Lotion overnight. Then, use the spot treatment way and apply the second coat of the lotion right on the acne.
- Leave the lotion spots overnight without washing.
- Rinse your face with cold water.
- Dab and dry your face with a soft towel.
- Repeat every night till you get rid of the acne completely.
If the acne turns extremely painful or does not shrink in 7 days, visit a dermatologist to treat it with medications.
Benefits of Calamine Lotion
Calamine lotion is a great way to deal with acne and acne scars. However, it has a lot of other benefits too.
- Its chemical composition makes it very soothing on the skin, so it works wonderfully to soothe sunburned skin (5).
- You can also use this cooling lotion to heal skin burns caused due to hot weather conditions.
- Many people use calamine lotion to reduce the appearance of blemishes and to treat allergies caused due to poison ivy (6).
- Calamine lotion is chemically designed to absorb UVB and UVA rays. So if you use calamine lotion every day, you do not need to use additional sunscreen to protect your skin from sun damage (7).
- It moisturizes your skin and acts as a natural primer or a makeup base.
- It can also be used as a day or night cream to achieve healthy and glowing skin.
- It can be used to treat Plant oil reactions, Chickenpox (8), Heat rash, Eczema, and even Mosquito bites.
Also Read – Face Scrub for Acne-prone, Oily skin – 9 simple DIY Homemade Recipes
Side Effects of Calamine Lotion
Although topical applications of Calamine lotion rarely cause any serious side effects, you may notice rashes, skin irritation, allergic reaction, itching, and swelling. Contact your medical service provider or dermatologist if you experience any such issues.
Also Read – ArteFill Dermal Filler – A Solution To Skin Imperfections
Acne is caused due to various reasons from puberty to pollution, but treating it the right way is extremely important. This is where the age-old reliable product – Calamine Lotion steps in. Calamine lotion has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that not only help prevent or control acne but also soothes the irritated skin thereafter. Calamine lotion works effectively well on active pimples, the ones filled with pus. It aids in drying out the pus area or pimple and reduces the inflammation eventually. However, calamine lotion is also an astringent, which might not always be suitable for dry skin. Calamine lotion consists of ingredients like sulfur, vitamin E, and lysine which promptly helps in treating spots, acne, and acne redness. Calamine lotion has multiple benefits which include protection from harmful UV rays of Sun, reduces appearance of blemishes, treats allergy and also acts as a moisturizer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Calamine Lotion reduce acne scars?
Calamine lotion does help in fading acne scars over time. In addition, you can use calamine lotion as a spot treatment.
How often can we use Calamine Lotion on the acne?
You can use calamine lotion on affected areas three to four times daily. You can also leave it overnight for spot treatment.
Does calamine lotion reduce pimple swelling?
Yes, with its anti-inflammatory properties, calamine lotion can help reduce pimple swelling and soothe its itching.
Can you use expired calamine lotion?
An expired lotion may or may not damage your skin, although its efficacy will come down drastically. Therefore, it is not recommended to use any product/lotion once it reaches the expiry date.
Can you use calamine lotion while pregnant?
Calamine lotion is considered safe for use during pregnancy. It has a soothing effect and can help relieve itching during pregnancy.
Can you use calamine lotion on babies?
Calamine lotion is baby safe and treats multiple skin conditions like itchiness, eczema, and sunburn. Always consult a dermatologist before using.
Does calamine lotion lighten skin?
Kaolin, a product found in Calamine lotion, treats dark spots. Regular application of Calamine lotion can fade away dark spots and acne scars.
- “Calamine lotion for acne” – healthline.com
- “Acne Vulgaris” – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Acne” -mayoclinic.org
- “Calamine Lotion BP” – medicines.org.uk
- “calamine and zinc oxide“- medicinenet.com
- “POISON IVY, OAK, AND SUMAC: HOW TO TREAT THE RASH” -aad.org
- “Sunburn“- mayoclinic.org
- “Prevention and Treatment“- cdc.gov