You have something precious yearning to get pampered always! It is none other than your skin! The most sensitive organ in the body needs a lot of care. Exposed to innumerable problems, from mild bruises to severe irreversible skin conditions, you need to take utmost care on your skin. Adding essential oils to your skin care routine pampers your skin, prevents skin diseases, improves the skin tone; keeps your skin healthy and young and many more!!! Here is the list of top 10 essential oils for skin care and how to use them to pamper your skin!
1. Lavender Oil
When you think about essential oils, you can’t ignore lavender oil. Lavender perhaps is one of the sweetest and soothing aromas you experience. The mesmeric aroma of the lavender oil provides wondrous benefits to the skin. Lavender oil is rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Applying the lavender oil speeds up the process of healing of wounds and bruises. It treats and prevents scarring, reduces the inflammation caused due to acne. (1)
How to use lavender oil?
- Dab a few drops of lavender oil on cotton ball and apply it directly on the acne, bruises, wounds and acne scars.
- Apply directly using a cotton ball on the wrinkled spots to ease away the wrinkles.
- Mix a few drops of lavender oil when you get a facial steam, it rejuvenates the skin and open ups the pores, removes dark spots.
- Add with egg whites as face mask to tighten the sagged skin.
2. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is a major ingredient used in many skin care products. It is in fact a form of vegetable wax. Extracted from jojoba plant, the non-greasy oil is a potent moisturizer, cleanser and an anti-aging product. It is in fact one of the must to have essential oils for the dry skinned people to soothe the irritated skin. (2)
How to use Jojoba oil?
- Apply the jojoba oil soaked in cotton ball overnight on face, hands and legs to moisten the dry skin.
- Add a few drops of jojoba oil to your cleanser. It removes all residues from the skin and keeps the skin nourished.
- Apply jojoba oil directly on your skin to ease away fine lines, control aggravation of acne, remove black heads and treat breakouts.
3. Tea tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the powerful essential oils that address a majority of common skin conditions. Topical application of tea tree oil treats acne, infections, blisters, deep scars, inflammation, cuts and wounds, etc. (3)
How to apply tea tree oil?
It is recommended not to apply tea tree oil directly on your skin as it is quite powerful, it might cause skin irritation. Dilute the tea tree oil and apply on the acne spots and scars. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with any of your choice of essential oils or moisturizer to apply on the acne.
4. Grape Seed Oil
Most of the oily skinned people stay away from using essential oils. If you have an oily skin, resort to using grape seed oil. It is a miraculous essential oil that controls and regulates the secretion of natural oils in your skin. Loaded with the skin friendly nutrient, Vitamin C, Grape seed oil brightens the dull skin.
How to apply grape seed oil?
The application is very simple. You can use it very simply by massaging the face with the oil. It is a very mild essential oil and can be applied with hands. Use it regularly to control the sebaceous glands and get a natural glow.
A natural skin-whitener! This is one of the proven, safest and most effective essential oils that improve the skin tone. While being versatile essential oil, sandalwood oils is extremely good for dry skinned people. (4)
How to apply sandal wood oil?
Dilute the sandalwood oil before applying on skin. You can mix this oil with rose oil or geranium oil to massage the face. Add the sandalwood oil to your moisturizer (you can even go natural with aloe) to nourish the facial skin.
Include these essential oils in your skin care routine to nourish, improve skin complexion, delay aging!
6. Carrot seed essential oil
One of the less appreciated essential oils is a potential age-defying skin care product. Extracted from the seeds of the wild carrots, the essential oil regenerates the skin cells, helps nourishing the skin and prevents aging.(5)
How to apply carrot seed essential oil ?
Don’t apply the carrot seed essential oil on the skin directly. It is recommended to mix with either coconut oil or olive oil before applying on the skin. Besides, it may increase sun sensitivity. So, don’t forget using sun screen lotion, or simply avoid going outdoors when you use carrot seed essential oil.
Try a patch test by applying a drop of carrot seed oil on your hand, and wait for a day. If your skin is good, you can proceed.
7. Chamomile Essential Oil
Hope you have tried sipping a cup of refreshing chamomile tea! It soothes your body and mind instantly! Similarly, the chamomile essential oil soothes the extremely sensitive skin as well as irritated, itchy skin. Chamomile essential oil also gives you a glowing complexion by reducing the blemishes, spots and scars.
How to apply chamomile essential oil?
You can apply it directly on the skin using a cotton ball.
8. Vetiver Essential Oil
Have you ever thought about an essential oil that carries all miraculous healing properties to pamper the skin? If you don’t, try vetiver essential oil. The rich aromatic oil is one stop essential oil to heal most of the skin conditions.
From hydrating the skin to brightening the skin tone, vetiver nourishes and rejuvenates your skin, make it supple, young and radiant.
How to apply vetiver essential oil?
You can apply it directly on the skin. Being natural oil with cooling properties, it doesn’t harm your skin when you apply it directly with your hands. Mixing sandalwood oil with vetiver makes a good combination!
9. Neroli Essential Oil
Another great essential oil for oily skin is Neroli! It reduces the skin pores without drying the skin. Also, the oil rejuvenates and replenishes the skin cells.(6)
How to apply neroli essential oil?
- Add one or two drops of neroli essential oil on wet cotton ball and apply on the desired spots.
- Add few drops of oil to face creams or moisturizers for skin regeneration.
- You can blend a few drops of neroli oil with your choice of essential oils or even coconut oil.
10. Argan Essential Oil
Among the plethora of healing and pampering essential oils, Argan oil is very unique. The nutty oil contains fatty acids along with Vitamin A and E and essential skin nutrients. It boosts the production of collagen, which keeps the skin cells firmer and younger. It treats the puffiness and inflamed skin.
How to apply Argan Essential Oil?
- It makes a perfect moisturizer, massage your face and neck with a drop of argan essential oil using your palms.
- You can apply it directly on the face, massage it with hands.
- It makes a great exfoliator! Add a teaspoon of sugar with few drops of argan essential oil and rub it on your skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you dilute essential oils for skin?
Typically essential oils are highly concentrated and may cause burning sensation & irritation if applied directly. Hence it is always recommended to do a patch test and dilute accordingly with a help of a carrier oil (coconut oil, avocado oil, etc)
Which essential oil is good for metabolism?
Grapefruit essential oil is considered good for metabolism as it can break down body fats. D-limonene present in grapefruit activates enzymes and reduces fat.
How do you store diluted essential oils?
Use a plastic bottle to store diluted essential oils preferably in a cool & dry place. Avoid direct exposure to the sun.
- Wound healing potential of lavender oil – NCBI
- 13 Reasons to Add Jojoba Oil to Your Skin Care Routine – HealthLine
- How to use tea tree oil for skin -MedicalNewsToday
- SANDALWOOD OIL CAN BE A MIRACULOUS TACKLE ON SKIN AGING, SKIN APPEARANCE AND WRINKLE SKIN-A REVIEW – ResearchGate
- The Health Benefits of Carrot Seed Oil – VeryWellHealth
- Neroli – Wikipedia