The lip balm is probably one product that makes it into your bag wherever you go. Since lips are very susceptible to cracking and chapping, it is essential to take extra care of them at all times. And what better way to prevent and soothe dryness than with a good lip balm? To help you find the best lip balm on the market, we’ve compiled a list of our absolute favorite lip balms to help you attain super soft and hydrated lips.
What is Lip Balm?
Lip balm is a substance made of wax that is applied to the lips to moisturize them and ease pain caused by dry or chapped lips. Most lip balms contain beeswax, which helps create an occlusive layer on your lips. This extra layer of protection can help seal lips’ moisture and protect them from external exposure, such as dry air, cold temperatures, and wind.
Benefits of Using Lip Balm
Lip balm is a magical remedy that protects your lips from dryness while making them look healthier and soft.
- Lip balms relieve dry and chapped lips.
- After applying a lip balm, your lips may look more alluring because of a glossy effect or a slight pop of color.
- Lip balms come in a variety of delicious flavors and pleasant scents.
TRIVIA: Skin on the lip is thin and sensitive compared to skin other parts of the body. On top of that, lips have no oil glands and they produce no melanin which means they don’t have natural protection of their own. As a result, lips are more prone to environmental factors like hot weather, cold climate and UV rays of the sun. (1)
Disadvantages of Using Lip Balm
While lip balms can do wonders for your lips, they can also contain dangerous ingredients such as petrolatum, phenol, and paraffin. Moreover, some lip balms could also make your lips more dry and prone to chapping.
- If a lip balm contains an allergen, it could worsen lip chapping. Cinnamon, menthol, peppermint oil, synthetic fragrances, eucalyptus oil, and camphor are potentially irritating ingredients.
- It could make your lips drier if it contains phenol, menthol, and salicylic acid ingredients.
- If you are applying a lip balm with your finger, you could risk a possible infection. That’s why you should always wash your hands before applying a lip balm to prevent spreading bacteria and germs from your hands to your mouth.
TRIVIA: In 1828, Lydia Maria Child wrote a book called “The American Frugal Housewife.” In the book, she recommended using earwax to treat cracked lips. (2)
How to Take Care of Your Lips?
Lips can quickly dry and become chapped, especially in the cold or winter season – The main reason is that the sebaceous glands in the skin are not found in the lips (3). Luckily, a simple beauty regimen can keep your lips soft, supple, and smooth.
- Hydrate: Ensure you drink lots of water throughout the day to keep your lips from drying out.
- Avoid touching or licking your lips: It might feel hydrating, but once the saliva evaporates, it will even dry your lips.
- Exfoliate: Remove dry, dead skin by gently brushing your lips with a wet toothbrush or using a mild lip scrub.
- Remove makeup: Before sleeping, remove all makeup products from the lips.
- Hydrate your lips overnight: Use a heavy lip cream or petroleum jelly before sleep.
- Always carry a lip balm: You should use SPF 30+ lip balm if you spend time outside.
The 8 Best Lip Balms
You can choose a simple lip balm without fragrance and flavor that will only hydrate your lips, or you can choose a lip balm that will give your lips a lovely shade and a pleasant taste and smell. Just name it, and you got it.
1. Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm 4 Pack Flavor Name: Best of Burt’s
Price: $10.97 / Size 0.15 oz (Pack of 4)
This super-affordable multipack includes four of Burt’s Bees’ most beloved lip balm flavors: Original Beeswax, Strawberry, Coconut & Pear, and Vanilla Bean. Every tube of this cult classic lip balm is packed with natural beeswax extract that will deeply hydrate and smooth, dry lips.
- Original Beeswax: The original blend of beeswax and antioxidant vitamin E will quickly condition your lips and act as a sealant to trap moisture. This classic also contains peppermint oil, which causes lips to tingle refreshingly.
- The strawberry-flavored lip balm contains moisturizing coconut oil and shea butter to rejuvenate and replenish your lips.
- For luxuriously soft lips, vanilla Bean flavored lip balm contains 100% natural vanilla, shea butter, and vitamin E.
- Coconut and pear-flavored lip balm smells like a tropical vacation. It is enriched with coconut oil and shea butter that makes your lips soft and replenished.
2. ChapStick Moisturizer
Price $3.99 / Size 0.15 oz (Pack of 3)
If your lips are ultra-dry, ChapStick Lip Moisturizer will deeply moisturize your lips and deliver long-lasting relief. This variety pack comes in three flavors: Original, Black Cherry, and Cool Mint. Some of the essential functions performed by this Lip balm are protecting delicate lips from the sun’s harmful rays and softening dry and chapped lips without making them greasy.
- SPF 15 sun protection.
- Comes with natural ingredients and moisturizing formulae (including aloe and vitamin E)
- Smooths and softens lips for up to 8 hours.
- Non-tinted and paraben-free.
3. Maybelline New York Baby Lips Flavor name: Cherry Me
Price: $7.24 / Size: 0.15 oz
Formulated with shea butter and vitamin E, this creamy tinted lip balm comes in 6 gorgeous shades that will intensely moisturize and soften your lips, add a soft pop of color and shine, and make your lips smoother, better looking, and less dry after only one week of using Baby Lips.
- It contains shea butter and vitamin E.
- Provides 8-hour hydration.
- Provides a subtle hint of color.
4. EOS Lip Balm
Flavor name: Sweet Mint
Price: $5.66 / Size 0.14 oz
- This lip balm comes in an egg shape with a refreshing flavor that tastes like freshly picked mint from the garden.
- It contains Shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and beeswax, leaving lips feeling smooth.
- Enriched with shea butter, this lip balm softens and moisturizes dry lips efficiently.
- 24-hour hydration.
- 100% natural and organic.
- It comes in a pack of two, in the shape of a tube and sphere—one for your bag and one for your jeans pocket.
5. Dr PAWPAW Multi-Purpose Soothing Balm Flavor name: Original
Price $8.5 / Size 0.85 oz
This soothing lip balm is a perfect option if your lips are sensitive. It is fragrance-free, cruelty-free, and vegan. Not only does it work magic on lips, but you can also dab it elsewhere on your face and hair. For example, you can highlight your cheekbones, repair dry cuticles and cracked heels, condition your hair, ease sunburn and skin irritations, and brush up your brows.
- It contains nutrients like pawpaw fruit, aloe vera leaf juice, and olive oil.
- Full of antioxidants and vitamins.
- Protects, soothes, and moisturizes lips and the rest of your body.
6. REVLON Kiss Lip Balm Crayon
Flavor name: Berry Burst
Price: $4.33 / Size: 0.09 oz
Revlon Kiss is infused with natural fruit oils that will shield your lips with a protective barrier and instantly moisturize them. Apart from giving a nice fruity flavor, the lip balm comes in 5 shades – Berry Burst, Fresh Strawberry, Juicy Peach, Sweet Cherry, and Tropical Coconut.
- SPF 20 sun protection will help keep your lips healthy.
- Subtle tint of sheer color with a touch of shine.
- It contains natural fruit oils that can provide much-needed hydration.
7. Labello Original
Price $9.59 / Size: 0.17 oz (Pack of 3)
If you’ve ever traveled to Europe, chances are you’ve tried Labello. The creamy, unique formula will hydrate your lips and keep them soft, supple, and smooth without making them greasy.
- Provides long-lasting moisture and intensive care
- With Shea Butter and Natural Oils
- 96% Naturally derived and free of mineral oils
8. Lip Smacker
Flavor: The Best Flavor Forever
Price: $9.95 / Size 1.12 oz (Pack of 8)
This lip balm comes in 8 delicious classic flavors: Oatmeal Cookie, Vanilla, Mango, Watermelon, Tropical Punch, Cotton Candy, Kiwi, and Strawberry. In addition, this lip balm comes with a moisturizing effect.
- The delicious flavors of these lip balms will put a smile on your lips and make you remember your childhood.
- Moisturizes and softens your lips.
Lip balms help moisturize dry and chapped lips.This is perfect for days when you want a little extra oomph without much effort. Lip balms come in a variety of flavors and colors, but can also be fragrance-free and tint-free. Most lip balms are petroleum or beeswax-based. They add an extra layer of protection to lips which helps seal moisture in lips and protects them from external factors.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Vaseline good for your lips?
Yes, it can seal the moisture and prevent dry and chapped lips.
What ingredients should you look for in a lip balm?
Look for the ingredient “Lanolin” – an important constituent that protects and soothes lips. Additionally, Beeswax, Shea, and Cocoa butter can provide anti-bacterial benefits and hydration.
Is lip balm addictive?
Don’t worry; lip balms are non-addictive, but make sure you are not allergic to any of their ingredients.
- “How to heal dry, chapped lips, according to dermatologists” — nbcnews.com
- “When Was Lip Balm Invented? A History of Chapped Lips” —qualitylogoproducts.com
- “Lip Care Routine 101: Get Your Perfect Pucker with These Expert Tips” — healthline.com