The lip balm is probably one product that makes it into your bag all the time wherever you go. Considering that lips are very susceptible to cracking and chapping, it is important to take extra good care of them at all times. And what better way to prevent and soothe dryness than with a good lip balm? To help you find the best lip balm on the market, we’ve put together a list of our absolute favorite lip balms that will help you attain super soft and hydrated lips.
What is Lip Balm?
Lip balm is a substance made of wax that is applied to the lips to moisturize them and ease pain caused by dry or chapped lips. Most lip balms contain beeswax, which helps create an occlusive layer on your lips. This extra layer of protection can help to seal moisture in lips and protect them from external exposure such as dry air, cold temperatures, and wind.
Benefits of Using Lip Balm
Lip balm is a magical remedy that can protect your lips from dryness while making them look more healthy and soft.
- Lip balms relieve dry and chapped lips.
- After applying a lip balm, your lips may look more alluring because of a glossy effect or a slight pop of color.
- Lip balms come in a variety of delicious flavors and pleasant scents.
TRIVIA: Skin on the lip is thin and sensitive compared to skin other parts of the body. On top of that, lips have no oil glands and they produce no melanin which means they don’t have natural protection of their own. As a result, lips are more prone to environmental factors like hot weather, cold climate and UV rays of the sun. (1)
Disadvantages of Using Lip Balm
While lip balms can do wonders for your lips, they can also contain some dangerous ingredients such as petrolatum, phenol, and paraffin. Moreover, some lip balms could also make your lips more dry and prone to chapping.
- If a lip balm contains an allergen, it could worsen lip chapping. Some potentially irritating ingredients are cinnamon, menthol, peppermint oil, synthetic fragrances, eucalyptus oil, and camphor.
- If it contains ingredients such as phenol, menthol, and salicylic acid, it could make your lips drier.
- If you are applying a lip balm with your finger, you could risk a possible infection. That’s why you should always wash your hands before applying a lip balm to prevent spreading bacteria and germs from your hands to your mouth.
TRIVIA: In 1828, Lydia Maria Child wrote a book called “The American Frugal Housewife.” In the book, she recommended using earwax to treat cracked lips. (2)
How to Take Care of Your Lips?
Lips can quickly dry and become chapped, especially in the cold or winter season – The main reason is that the sebaceous glands present in the skin are not found in the lips (3). Luckily, a simple beauty regimen can keep your lips soft, supple, and smooth.
- Hydrate: Make sure to drink lots of water throughout the day to keep your lips from drying out.
- Avoid touching or licking your lips: It might feel hydrating, but once the saliva evaporates, it will leave your lips even drier.
- Exfoliate: Remove dry, dead skin by gently brushing your lips with a wet toothbrush or using a mild lip scrub.
- Remove makeup: Before you go to sleep, make sure to remove all makeup products from the lips.
- Hydrate your lips overnight: Use a heavy lip cream or petroleum jelly before sleep.
- Always carry a lip balm: You should use SPF 30+ lip balm if you spend time outside.
The 8 Best Lip Balms
You can choose a simple lip balm without fragrance and flavor that will only hydrate your lips, or you can choose a lip balm that will give your lips a lovely shade and a pleasant taste and smell. Just name it, and you got it.
1. Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm 4 Pack Flavor Name: Best of Burt’s
Price: $9.57 / Size 0.15 oz (Pack of 4)
This super-affordable multipack includes four of Burt’s Bees’ most beloved lip balm flavors: Original Beeswax, Strawberry, Coconut & Pear, and Vanilla Bean. Every tube of this cult classic lip balm is packed with natural beeswax extract that will deeply hydrate and smooth dry lips.
- Original Beeswax: The original blend of beeswax and antioxidant vitamin E will quickly condition your lips and act as a sealant to trap moisture. This classic also contains peppermint oil which causes lips to tingle refreshingly.
- Strawberry flavored lip balm contains moisturizing coconut oil and shea butter that will rejuvenate and replenish your lips.
- Vanilla Bean flavored lip balm contains 100% natural vanilla, shea butter, and vitamin E for luxuriously soft lips.
- Coconut and Pear flavored lip balm smells like a tropical vacation. It is enriched with coconut oil and shea butter that makes your lips soft and replenished.
2. ChapStick Moisturizer
Price $4.99 / Size 0.15 oz (Pack of 3)
If your lips are ultra-dry, ChapStick Lip Moisturizer will deeply moisturize your lips and deliver long-lasting relief. This variety pack comes in three flavors: Original, Black Cherry, and Cool Mint. Some of the important functions performed by this Lip balm are protecting delicate lips from the harmful rays of Sun and softening dry and chapped lips without making them greasy.
- SPF 15 sun protection.
- Comes with natural ingredients and moisturizing formulae (including aloe and vitamin E)
- Smooths and softens lips for up to 8 hours.
- Non-tinted and paraben-free.
3. Maybelline New York Baby Lips Flavor name: Cherry Me
Price: $4.49 / Size: 0.15 oz
Formulated with shea butter and vitamin E, this creamy tinted lip balm comes in 6 gorgeous shades that will intensely moisturize your lips and make them soft. It will not only add your lips a soft pop of color and shine but will also make them smoother, better looking, and less dry after only one week of using Baby Lips.
- Contains shea butter and vitamin E.
- Provides 8-hour hydration.
- Provides a subtle hint of color.
4. EOS Lip Balm
Flavor name: Sweet Mint
Price: $4.96 / Size 0.14 oz Stick/ 0.25 oz Sphere
- This lip balm comes in a cute egg shape with a refreshing mint flavor that tastes like freshly picked mint from the garden.
- Contains Shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and beeswax that leave lips feeling smooth.
- Enriched with shea butter, this lip balm softens and moisturizes dry lips efficiently.
- 24-hour hydration.
- 100% natural and organic.
- Comes in a pack of two, in the shape of tube and sphere—one for your bag and one for your jeans pocket.
5. Dr PAWPAW Multi-Purpose Soothing Balm Flavor name: Original
Price $8.49 / Size 0.85 oz
If your lips are sensitive, this soothing lip balm is a perfect option for you. It is fragrance-free, cruelty-free, and vegan. Not only does it work magic on lips, but you can also dab it elsewhere on your face and hair. For example, you can use it to highlight your cheekbones, repair dry cuticles and cracked heels, condition your hair, ease sunburn and skin irritations, and brush up your brows.
- Loaded with ingredients like pawpaw fruit, aloe vera leaf juice, olive fruit oil.
- Full of antioxidants and vitamins.
- Protects, soothes, and moisturizes lips and the rest of your body.
6. REVLON Kiss Lip Balm Crayon
Flavor name: Berry Burst
Price: $4.99 / Size: 0.09 oz
Revlon Kiss is infused with natural fruit oils that will shield your lips with a protective barrier and make them feel instantly moisturized. Apart from giving a nice fruity flavor, the lip balm comes in 5 shades – Berry Burst, Fresh Strawberry, Juicy Peach, Sweet Cherry, and Tropical Coconut.
- SPF 20 sun protection will help keep your lips healthy.
- Subtle tint of sheer color with a touch of shine.
- Contains natural fruit oils that can provide much-needed hydration.
7. Labello Original
Price $9.59 / Size: 0.17 oz (Pack of 3)
If you’ve ever traveled to Europe, chances are you’ve tried Labello. The creamy, unique formula will hydrate your lips and keep them soft, supple, and smooth without making them greasy.
- Provides long-lasting moisture and intensive care
- With Shea Butter and Natural Oils
- 96% Naturally derived and free of mineral oils
8. Lip Smacker
Flavor: The Best Flavor Forever
Price: $9.95 / Size 1.12 oz (Pack of 8)
This lip balm comes in 8 delicious classic flavors: Oatmeal Cookie, Vanilla, Mango, Watermelon, Tropical Punch, Cotton Candy, Kiwi, and Strawberry. In addition, this lip balm comes with a moisturizing effect.
- Delicious flavors of these lip balms will put a smile on your lips and make you remember your childhood years.
- Moisturizes and softens your lips.
Lip balms help moisturize dry and chapped lips.This is perfect for days when you want a little extra oomph without much effort. Lip balms come in a variety of flavors and colors, but can also be fragrance-free and tint-free. Most lip balms are petroleum or beeswax-based. They add an extra layer of protection to lips which helps seal moisture in lips and protects them from external factors.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
Is Vaseline good for your lips?
Yes, it can seal the moisture and prevent dry and chapped lips.
What ingredients to look for in a lip balm?
Look for the ingredient “Lanolin” – an important constituent that protects and soothes lips. Additionally, Beeswax, Shea, and Cocoa butter can provide you with anti-bacterial benefits and hydration.
Is lip balm addictive?
Don’t worry; lip balms are non-addictive although make sure that you are not allergic to any of its ingredients.
- “How to heal dry, chapped lips, according to dermatologists” — nbcnews.com
- “When Was Lip Balm Invented? A History of Chapped Lips” —qualitylogoproducts.com
- “Lip Care Routine 101: Get Your Perfect Pucker with These Expert Tips” — healthline.com