Sun, dirt and pollution take a toll on our skin every day, making it darker and patchy. While there are several products available on the market to remove tan and whiten skin, it is better to use natural products as far as possible since they are gentler on the facial skin, which tends to be delicate. Lemon, saffron, sandalwood and milk cream all have skin whitening properties and are easily available. Of these sandalwood is one of the most widely used products, used on its own and mixed with others to create a face pack.
Sandalwood is widely used in readymade face packs. Powdered sandalwood is also easily available on the market and can be used with a variety of other products for an easy, do-it-yourself face pack. Also, sandalwood’s distinctive fragrance endears it to many people and the fact that it doesn’t need too much work and doesn’t get messy, is a contributing factor to its popularity.
Make Sandalwood Face Packs at Home
Sandalwood on its own is a skin-lightening agent. You can use it either in the form of oil or powder, although be careful not to use raw sandalwood oil on your skin. You can make different sandalwood packs at home, just follow these guidelines:
- For Moisturizing Skin: Mix two or three teaspoons of sandalwood powder with rose water, just enough to make a smooth paste. Apply on your face for 20 minutes and wash off. If your skin is dry, follow up with a milk moisturiser.
- For Treating Acne: Sandalwood powder can also be mixed with milk or milk cream. Milk tends to make the skin a little oily, so if you suffer from acne or pimples, refrain from applying milk to your face. However, for those of you with normal skin, this is one of the best natural face packs for lightening the skin as both sandalwood and milk have whitening properties.
- For a Glowing Skin: Sandalwood mixed with gram flour and water is also a wonderful face pack for lighter skin. Use three teaspoons of gram flour with two spoons of sandalwood powder and either plain water or rose water. Apply on face for about half an hour, or until it dries up and then wash off. You might need a moisturiser after this pack. Gram flour and sandalwood combined remove a good deal of suntan and add to your skin’s glow.
- As an Anti-tan Agent: Lemon juice is another powerful skin-lightening agent, and when mixed with sandalwood, makes for a great face pack. Lemon is an astringent, so if you’ve got inflammation or skin irritation, be careful not to use it. Squeeze half a lemon into four teaspoons of sandalwood powder and make a smooth paste. Add a little water, if the paste is still too powdery.
- For Treating Dark Circles: If you’ve got dark circles, apply a little sandalwood powder, mixed with rose water under your eyes at night. Keep on overnight and wash off in the morning.
While Buying a Sandalwood Pack
While making your own face pack at home with natural ingredients is the best way to take care of your skin, there are several good face packs containing sandalwood that you can buy. Always read the ingredients used in the product carefully, as there are different face packs which, though containing sandalwood may not be suitable for your skin type. For instance, if a pack has neem and sandalwood, it is generally meant for people with oily skin, or who are prone to pimple breakouts. You could try a pack with saffron and sandalwood, as this doubles the product’s skin lightening abilities. Use Ayurvedic or natural packs as far as possible as they are far more likely to contain authentic ingredients.
Skin whitening by artificial means can be harmful to your skin in the long run, enhancing the ageing process or leaving skin lighter only in patches. Natural products like sandalwood improve your complexion overall and soothe any form of irritation your skin may be experiencing. Therefore, for a glowing, fair complexion, a sandalwood face pack is the answer.
Also Read – Uses of Sandalwood Oil in Skin Care