Maintaining feminine hygiene during menstruation is indispensable for each woman. Needless to say, choosing the right sanitary pad is essential for this purpose. Gone are the days when there were only a few choices for napkins. Now, there are lots of options in the market and you can easily pick the most suitable one as per your requirements and convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How safe are sanitary pads?
In India, only one sixth of the menstruating women use sanitary pads. Although there is no comprehensive study done on the safety of sanitary pads, consumers assume it as safe since products are certified by the regulatory body (Bureau of Indian Standards) before hitting the market. However it follows very old standards which are very basic in nature. Alternatively, market has seen a new boom of organic & reusable products recently.
How to choose the right sanitary pad ?
It’s important to choose the right pad as menstrual hygiene plays an important role in the overall health. When you first experience period, you can start with a regular pad. If your regular pad is filling up fast, then you can switch to a larger size or depending on the flow, you can come back to regular size. Some of the factors that you need to consider before buying are absorbency, materials used, your lifestyle and length & flow of the period.
How often should I change my pad?
Maintaining a menstrual hygiene is a must. Blood is contaminated and not maintaining proper hygiene can lead to rashes, Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and Vaginal Infection. Whenever you feel your pad is filling up fast, you should go for a change. Typically you should be changing your pads in every 4-6 hours.
What are the side effects of sanitary pads?
Sanitary pads contain chemicals, and using sanitary pads for a longer time can increase the risk of cancer, infertility and birth defects.
What are the Alternatives to Pads ?
You can go for Menstrual cups, Reusable Cloths, Period Penties and Menstrual Sponges.
Top 10 Sanitary Pads in India
If you have not scanned the supermarket aisles yet for the latest arrivals in the women’s hygiene section and are sticking to your same old brand, we tell you about top 10 sanitary pads in India.
1. Whisper Ultra Clean
These sanitary pads provide long lasting superior protection. They have a super absorbent core that pulls away leakage from the edges. The wings are longer and give you added protection so that you can remain worry-free even on heavy flow days.
- Extra large (XL) wings (317 mm.)
- Locks wetness up to 100% (based on P&G technical data)
- Protection throughout the day
Price: Rs. 143 for 15 pads (Rs. 9.50 per wing)
Also Read – Be Free from Vaginal Yeast Infection with these Home Remedies Here
2. Stayfree Dry-Max All Night
The Stayfree Dry-Max All Night is an ultra-thin pad that helps you sleep without worrying about leakage. Being very thin, it fits your contour snugly and is highly absorbent. The pads are wider at the back to give you a sound sleep even when there is an extremely intense flow.
- Dry max cover (extra long and extra wide) for protection against leakage from all sides
- Super lock pockets with gel-core that locks-in fluid throughout the night
- Unique Night Guard 5 feature for all round night protection
- Odor control technology with natural plant extracts for a fresh and confident feeling
Price: Rs. 172 for 14 pads (Rs. 12.3 per wing)
3. Sofy Side Walls
Sofy Side Walls has special walls on the side of the pad that prevents leakage during movement. It is made with exclusive fit-to-zone technology to fit your body and absorb the fluid quickly. It also has a super dry net sheet to give you a dry feeling all day.
- Extra large (XL) with dry cover and wings for a clean and comfortable feeling
- Long-lasting double-absorbent core with gel to absorb heavy flow and lock wetness in
- Multi-leak control lines to prevent heavy flow from reaching to the sides
- Flexible side walls to minimize gap and prevent side leakage for maximum protection
Price: Rs. 95 for 12 pads (Rs. 7.9 per wing)
Also Read – Important Info Regarding Vaginal Rejuvenation Procedures Here
4. Stayfree Dry Max Ultra Thin
This product from Stayfree is ideal for daytime use. The super thin pad comes with a dry-max cover and super lock pockets that keep you dry throughout the day. Its gel-based core also helps in absorbing fluid quickly, thereby keeping you dry, clean, and comfortable.
- Dry-max cover with ultra-thin body for complete protection
- Super lock pockets with gel-core
- Unique Night Guard 5 feature for all round night protection
Price: Rs. 83 for 8 pads (Rs. 10.4 per wing)
5. She Comfort Ultra XXL Wings*
She Ultra comes with a super soft cover made of cotton in order to help you have rash free periods. It has a hydrophobic non-woven, non-plastic edges with gel technology that provides superior absorbency and prevent side leakage.
- Ultra XXL (320 mm.) wings for overnight and heavy flow
- Non-plasticky, non-abrasive cottony soft cover for rash-free periods
- Top dry weave for a complete dry feel
* Currently Unavailable
Price: Rs. 65 for 7 pads (Rs. 9.3 per wing)
Also Read – Best Home Remedies To Treat Vaginal Odor Here
6. Whisper Ultra Nights
These ultra-thin sanitary pads are designed to provide you unparalleled comfort all through the night. The gel core, stretchable wings, extra length and width at the back – all these ensure that there is no chance of leakage and you have a good night’s sleep.
- Dri-Weave Cover provides soft, dry protection
- Nearly 40% longer pad helps provide more coverage for heavy flow
- Wider Back for better coverage to protect against back leakage throughout the night
- Lock core absorbs fluid and locks it in gel form for long-lasting protection
- 5 times more absorbency than regular pads
Price: Rs. 165 for 15 pads (Rs. 11 per wing)
7. Don’t Worry Ultra Thin Super
These perfumed pads are specially made for girls and women on the go. It turns fluid into gel in order to provide protection against heavy flow during the daytime. The wings also prevent any side leakage.
- Comes in dual size convenient pack
- Choose from 240 mm. and 280 mm. based on your flow type
Price: Rs. 35 for 8 pads (Rs. 4.4 per wing)
Also Read – All Natural Home Remedies for Vaginal Dryness Here
8. Whisper Choice Regular Wings
If you are not too keen on using the ultra-thin pads after the first two days of your period, then Whisper Choice is an ideal pick for the remaining days. It comes with wings and a gel-based core. It also controls odor to a great extent for offering a fresh feeling throughout the day.
- Up to 100% stain prevention
- Dry-weave top sheet with funnel-shaped holes for maximum dryness and comfort
- Large side-safe wings for ultimate fit and protection
- Blue-lock core to give a clean and dry feeling through the period
Price: Rs. 78 for 20 pads (Rs. 3.9 per wing)
9. Kotex Soft Smooth Gentle Wings
Kotex Soft & Smooth has a cottony cover that will protect you from rashes. If you have had a rash from using the ultra-thin napkins at the beginning of the period, you can choose Kotex Soft for the days when you have less flow. It comes with wings and contoured borders for better fit and protection.
- Gives extra protection and comfortable fit
- Softest cottony cover to avoid rashes on your delicate skin
- Gentle wings give you maximum comfort even when you are at your active best
- Blue safety zone to spread the fluid throughout the pad evenly
- Continuous border to stop leakage
Price: Rs. 25 for 8 pads (Rs. 3.1 per wing)
Also Read – Expert Review: Abzorb Clotrimazole Dusting Powder Here
10. Carefree Panty Liners
Whether it is for the spotting towards the beginning or the end of your periods when you don’t want to wear pads, the panty liners from Carefree are an excellent choice. They help you remain worry-free about staining and without the hassle of wearing a pad. They are smaller and softer than the regular pads and an excellent choice for maintaining hygiene on your “spotting days”.
- Unique soft cover designed for dryness and comfort
- Absorbed wetness in seconds
- Moisture-proof backing for protection against leakage
- Unscented and dermatologically tested against allergy and irritation
Price: Rs. 88 for 20 liners (Rs. 4.4 per wing)