Maintaining feminine hygiene during menstruation is indispensable for each woman. Needless to say, choosing the right sanitary pad is essential for this purpose. Gone are the days when there were only a few choices for napkins. Now, there are lots of options in the market and you can easily pick the most suitable one as per your requirements and convenience.
How to Select the Right Pad?
Selecting the right pad can be a difficult task if you are not aware of your requirements. The best way to select a pad depends on number of factors i.e. Length & Flow of the period, Absorbency & Odor Control features, Material Comfort and Your Lifestyle.
Length & Flow
One size doesn’t fit all. Discharge is usually heavier at the start of your period. Pads with extra length offer greater absorbency.
Good Absorbency & Odor Control
Pads have an absorbent core that can manage heavy flow. Go for pads with a high level of absorbency and odor control feature.
The type of material used affects its breathability and comfort level. Look for chemical free pads which are durable and provide an irritation free experience.
Choose pads according to your lifestyle. Select winged slim pads while doing your gym session. Go for extra-absorbent pads if you are on a long business trip.
Top 10 Sanitary Pads in India
If you have not scanned the supermarket aisles yet for the latest arrivals in the women’s hygiene section and are sticking to your same old brand, we tell you about top 10 sanitary pads in India.
1. Whisper Ultra Clean
These sanitary pads provide long lasting superior protection. They have a super absorbent core that pulls away leakage from the edges. The wings are longer and give you added protection so that you can remain worry-free even on heavy flow days.
- Extra large (XL) wings (317 mm.)
- Locks wetness up to 100% (based on P&G technical data)
- Protection throughout the day
Price: Rs. 143 for 15 pads (Rs. 9.50 per wing)
Also Read – Be Free from Vaginal Yeast Infection with these Home Remedies Here
2. Stayfree Dry-Max All Night
The Stayfree Dry-Max All Night is an ultra-thin pad that helps you sleep without worrying about leakage. Being very thin, it fits your contour snugly and is highly absorbent. The pads are wider at the back to give you a sound sleep even when there is an extremely intense flow.
- Dry max cover (extra long and extra wide) for protection against leakage from all sides
- Super lock pockets with gel-core that locks-in fluid throughout the night
- Unique Night Guard 5 feature for all round night protection
- Odor control technology with natural plant extracts for a fresh and confident feeling
Price: Rs. 85 for 7 pads (Rs. 12.15 per wing)
3. Sofy Antibacteria Extra Long Pads
This pad comes with a unique 99.9% bacteria protection feature. Its deep absorbent formula keeps the upper layer of the pad dry thus making it comfortable to use for a longer duration.
- Prevents leakage as it has extra long, bacteria absorbing green sheet
- The outer green sheet is loaded with natural ingredients and gives 99.9% protection from the bacteria
- Provides day long protection from bad odor thus making it comfortable for long usage
- Super value pack comes with 54 wings and it’s quite economical
Price: Rs. 399 for 54 pads (Rs. 7.4 per wing)
Also Read – Important Info Regarding Vaginal Rejuvenation Procedures Here
4. Stayfree Dry Max Ultra Thin
This product from Stayfree is ideal for daytime use. The super thin pad comes with a dry-max cover and super lock pockets that keep you dry throughout the day. Its gel-based core also helps in absorbing fluid quickly, thereby keeping you dry, clean, and comfortable.
- Dry-max cover with ultra-thin body for complete protection
- Super lock pockets with gel-core
- Unique Night Guard 5 feature for all round night protection
Price: Rs. 90 for 8 pads (Rs. 11.25 per wing)
5. Nua Sanitary Pads
Nua Sanitary Pad comes with a super absorbent formula which provides a rash free and leakage proof experience.
- Compatible with every stage of period i.e. be it low or high discharge, it can cover all types of flow
- Free from chemicals and provides rash free experience; Wider wings for superior absorption
- It comes with a disposal cover with every pad
Price: Rs. 239 for 12 pads (Rs. 19.9 per wing)
Also Read – Best Home Remedies To Treat Vaginal Odor Here
6. Whisper Ultra Nights
These ultra-thin sanitary pads are designed to provide you unparalleled comfort all through the night. The gel core, stretchable wings, extra length and width at the back – all these ensure that there is no chance of leakage and you have a good night’s sleep.
- Dri-Weave Cover provides soft, dry protection
- Nearly 40% longer pad helps provide more coverage for heavy flow
- Wider Back for better coverage to protect against back leakage throughout the night
- Lock core absorbs fluid and locks it in gel form for long-lasting protection
- 5 times more absorbency than regular pads
Price: Rs. 175 for 15 pads (Rs. 15.9 per wing)
7. Bella Maxi Soft Wings Classic Sanitary Pads
Bella Maxi Soft Wings Classic Sanitary Pad comes with an extra protective layer which helps in complete absorption and its non-woven sheet provides extra comfort.
- Provides extra-breathability and protects skin from irritation and rashes
- Higher absorption capability minimizes any possibility of leakage
- Extra protective zone ensures zero leakage during night time and heavy flow
- Suitable for all types of skin including sensitive skin
Price: Rs. 176 for 30 pads (Rs. 5.9 per wing)
Also Read – All Natural Home Remedies for Vaginal Dryness Here
8. Whisper Choice Regular Wings
If you are not too keen on using the ultra-thin pads after the first two days of your period, then Whisper Choice is an ideal pick for the remaining days. It comes with wings and a gel-based core. It also controls odor to a great extent for offering a fresh feeling throughout the day.
- Up to 100% stain prevention
- Dry-weave top sheet with funnel-shaped holes for maximum dryness and comfort
- Large side-safe wings for ultimate fit and protection
- Blue-lock core to give a clean and dry feeling through the period
Price: Rs. 78 for 20 pads (Rs. 3.9 per wing)
9. Pee Safe Organic Cotton, Biodegradable Sanitary Pads
Pee Safe Organic Cotton, Biodegradable Sanitary Pads comes with two variants i.e. overnight and regular. This product is completely organic and free from any harmful chemicals.
- Made with bamboo pulp; provides 300% more absorption capability
- Bamboo pulp is enriched with antibacterial properties and protects from rashes and irritations
- 100% organic making it safe for even sensitive skin
- Comes inside a reusable box
Price: Rs. 299 for 10 pads (Rs. 29.9 per wing)
Also Read – Expert Review: Abzorb Clotrimazole Dusting Powder Here
10. Carefree Panty Liners
Whether it is for the spotting towards the beginning or the end of your periods when you don’t want to wear pads, the panty liners from Carefree are an excellent choice. They help you remain worry-free about staining and without the hassle of wearing a pad. They are smaller and softer than the regular pads and an excellent choice for maintaining hygiene on your “spotting days”.
- Unique soft cover designed for dryness and comfort
- Absorbed wetness in seconds
- Moisture-proof backing for protection against leakage
- Unscented and dermatologically tested against allergy and irritation
Price: Rs. 90 for 20 liners (Rs. 4.5 per wing)
Maintaining menstrual hygiene is important. Selecting the right type of sanitary pad can be a difficult task. Length & Flow of the period, Absorbency & Odor Control features, Material Comfort and Your Lifestyle can determine the type of pad you need to look for.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How safe are sanitary pads?
In India, only one sixth of the menstruating women use sanitary pads. Although there is no comprehensive study done on the safety of sanitary pads, consumers assume it as safe since products are certified by the regulatory body (Bureau of Indian Standards) before hitting the market. However it follows very old standards which are very basic in nature. Alternatively, market has seen a new boom of organic & reusable products recently.
How to choose the right sanitary pad ?
It’s important to choose the right pad as menstrual hygiene plays an important role in the overall health. When you first experience period, you can start with a regular pad. If your regular pad is filling up fast, then you can switch to a larger size or depending on the flow, you can come back to regular size. Some of the factors that you need to consider before buying are absorbency, materials used, your lifestyle and length & flow of the period.
How often should I change my pad?
Maintaining a menstrual hygiene is a must. Blood is contaminated and not maintaining proper hygiene can lead to rashes, Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and Vaginal Infection. Whenever you feel your pad is filling up fast, you should go for a change. Typically you should be changing your pads in every 4-6 hours.
What are the side effects of sanitary pads?
Sanitary pads contain chemicals, and using sanitary pads for a longer time can increase the risk of cancer, infertility and birth defects.
What are the Alternatives to Pads ?
You can go for Menstrual cups, Reusable Cloths, Period Penties and Menstrual Sponges.