So you think that using body fragrances is the only way to smell amazing. Well, you need to grow up, ladies! Gone are the days when perfumes were meant only for applying to the body and the latest trend is focusing on making hair fragrant to smell good all through the day. Not only your skin but your hair also needs to smell great and here comes the importance of a ‘hair perfume’. Umm…..hearing the name for the first time? Let’s help you know more:
What Is A ‘Hair Perfume’ All About?
As the name suggests, a hair perfume is all about making our hair smell aromatic. It is crafted specifically for our locks and can last even longer than regular body fragrances available in the market. Even though the basic objective of a hair perfume is to add fragrance to hair, there are more than a few versions which actually gift us multi-tasking formulae in luxury packaging. These hair perfumes can even change our bad hair day into a good one by eliminating the unpleasant odor of unwashed hair, taming frizzes, providing UV protection, and rejuvenating dull hairstyles.
Also Read – 6 Must-Try Natural Homemade Body Spray Recipes Here
Why Use A Perfume On Hair?
It is said that “hair is the best spot to apply perfume, especially if a woman wants to create an impression”. Here is why:
- Being one of the strongest carriers of scents among all our body parts, hair absorbs the fragrance of a perfume much more than the skin.
- When it comes to distributing fragrance, hair is always the best choice for application as it has a significantly bigger surface area (almost 6 sq. m.) than that of the skin (only 1.5 sq. m.)
- Our hair remains in motion almost all the time. It creates natural diffusion and keeps releasing the perfume every time the head is moved or the hair is shaken.
- It makes unwashed hair feel clean and fresh and hence, you do not need to worry about shampooing every day.
- Some of the perfumes can even benefit our locks by offering UV protection and frizz reduction.
How To Pick The Right Hair Perfume?
Hair perfume might be a newer concept, but it has already been ruling the market. So, if you get confused about the right purchase, here are a few tips for you:
Also Read – How To Take Care Of Aging Hair The Natural Way? Here
- The ingredients used in a hair perfume are the most vital thing to consider. Hence, have a look at the ingredient list first.
- Pick products that come with refreshing notes of fragrance like the rose, lavender, citrus, etc.
- Skip products that are loaded with harmful components like alcohol, silicone, etc.
- Make sure that the product will not weigh your hair down, especially if it is already flat and limp.
DIY – Natural Hair Perfume Recipe
Commercial hair perfumes contain synthetic fragrances, which bother sensitive noses to a large extent. Moreover, they contain alcohol and other chemicals, which dry out the hair fibers and damage them severely. If you want to avoid all these issues and still get sweet-smelling locks, a DIY hair perfume project will be the best option for you. Here is how to prepare a non-toxic hair perfume naturally at home:
- Essential oils (three choices of three different notes) – 45 drops
- Carrier ingredient – 2 teaspoon (choose from jojoba oil, aloe vera, or witch hazel)
- Rose water – 7 to 8 tablespoons (distilled water will also do)
Steps To Follow:
- Take a spray bottle (you can use your old perfume or hair spray bottle as well) and wash it thoroughly. Let it dry completely.
- Pour essential oil drops into the spray bottle one by one. It is recommended that you combine top notes, middle notes, and base notes of essential oils in 14 drops, 22 drops, and 9 drops respectively. You may also adjust the number of drops until you come up with your desired aroma.
- Add the carrier ingredient to the mixture and give a gentle swirl to blend all things together.
- Also, add distilled water or rose water to it and swirl once more to combine everything.
- Close the lid of the spray bottle tightly and store it in a cool, dry place. It is even better to find a dark glass spray bottle for this purpose.
- Whenever you need to use the homemade hair perfume, simply shake the bottle and spritz over the length of your hair.
Also Read – All You Should Know About Biotin And Hair Growth Here
Tips And Tricks To Know
Finally, here are a few tips and tricks to make your DIY hair perfume project a big success:
- Opt for essential oils that are nourishing and rejuvenating for hair strands.
- Each essential oil is standardized with a ‘note’ based on its fragrance dissipation speed. The top note is the strongest fragrance that disappears in a couple of hours. Middle note takes 2 to 4 hours to fade away while base not lingers around for the whole day.
- Always use top, middle, and base not in 3:5:2 ratio.
- Refrigerate your hair perfume if you have used freshly prepared rose water in it.
Hope you have got all necessary details about getting full-bodied locks with lasting fragrance. So, are you ready to give hair perfume a try?