When it comes to getting a smooth and silky soft skin, nothing can beat the effectiveness of waxing. The procedure may cause an excruciating pain, but still, it is an absolutely vital part of our regular beauty regimen. However, the one question that always makes us doubtful is what the best time for waxing is. Whether you visit a salon or do it yourself at home, you should know when to do waxing before or after a shower. So, in this article, we are going to uncover the truth about going hairless. Read on:
A Few Waxing Secrets You Must Know
Before we dig deeper to discover the truth about the time of waxing, here are a few incredible tricks that will make your hair removal session simple, easy, and less painful:
- The length of your hair is a crucial factor. Ensure that it is (1/4)-inch at the time of waxing. If it is longer, you will feel excruciating pain while pulling at it while shorter hair will not get pulled out from the root properly. A trim is recommended for hair that is too long.
- Do not go for a large area at once, especially when you are just starting the procedure. This will not only increase the pain but also prevent the hair from getting removed from its root. Rather, start with a really small section and go ahead gradually.
- Make sure that your wax is cold enough before you put it to use. If you apply it too hot, you may end up taking some of your skin off while removing.
- Exfoliate the areas you are going to wax with a gentle yet effective scrub. This will bring the hair to the surface of the skin by removing the layer of dead cells, thereby making it easier for you to pull it from the root properly.
- If you are too worried about pain, use a good numbing cream or take an OTC pain reliever prior to undergoing the method. Both of these help in minimizing pain to a great extent. If you have an ultra-sensitive skin, a cold compress will also help you a lot.
- Do not undergo waxing right before or during your menstrual cycle as the skin remains extremely sensitive at that time and your pain tolerance capacity becomes the lowest.
Read Also – At-Home Body Waxing – Your Ultimate Guide
Waxing Before Or After A Shower?
Taking A Shower Before Waxing
Many of us think that taking a good shower right before waxing is great as it can actually benefit the process as well as the skin. However, let us take a close look at the fact and know the pros and cons of it:
Using warm or lukewarm water for taking a shower is always a good option, especially if you are planning for a waxing. It can open up the otherwise closed skin pores and make the process of removal of hair much easier. The more your pores will get opened up, the better, faster and less painful your waxing will be.
1. Taking a shower with warm or lukewarm water usually makes our skin softer. Hence, if you wax after this, the hot wax used during the method may irritate your skin, cause a bruise on it or even burn it out. As a result, you may end up messing up the whole procedure and causing harm to yourself.
2. It will become tough for the dead skin cells present on the uppermost layer of your skin to come off easily if you wax after taking a shower. As the skin will turn softer, the skin will not remain dry enough and hence, you will not be able to get rid of the loose cells.
(c) Points To Remember:
- Always avoid hot water for bathing before waxing. The temperature of the water must be bearable enough and it should not hurt your skin.
- Never start waxing right after getting out of the bath. It is always recommended that you maintain a gap of a couple of hours in between your shower and the waxing session in order to allow your body temperature to get normalized. If it is not possible, wait at least half an hour before starting the process.
- Make sure that the temperature of your skin is almost normal before applying the hot wax. It will help you avoid any kind of discomfort or reaction.
- There is no need of applying body lotion, moisturizer or any sort of deodorant if you are preparing for waxing. All these will be removed completely during the procedure.
Read Also – How To Prevent And Get Rid Of Bumps After Waxing
Taking A Shower After Waxing
Now, the question is what happens when you take a shower after waxing? Should you always follow this method instead of the previous one? Let us make the fact clear by revealing the pros and cons of the procedure:
Taking a shower after carrying out the process of waxing is a wise idea as it helps a lot in cleaning up. The ingredient used in it is quite sticky, which makes the method a messy one. So, a shower is absolutely necessary after it.
There is no such con of this procedure.
(c) Points To Remember:
- Do not take a shower immediately after the waxing. Give your skin a considerable amount of time to adjust with the room temperature so that you do not need to face an unpleasant situation.
- Never ever take a hot shower or sauna before 24 hours of waxing. It will irritate your sensitive skin and hurt it badly. Rather, make use of warm or lukewarm water for this purpose.
It is pretty clear from the above discussion that taking a shower after waxing is always the right choice. This way, your skin will feel not only silky soft but also quite fresh. However, you should not opt for any post-wax topical treatment at least for the next 24 hours. Stay away from cosmetics containing alcohol, synthetic fragrance, etc. in order to prevent your skin from drying or getting irritated. Also, do not wear too tight outfits and avoid direct sun exposure right after undergoing your waxing session. So, are you doing waxing the right way?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Should I moisturise my skin before waxing?
It is recommended to avoid moisturising your skin on the day of waxing. However you can moisturise your skin one day prior to waxing, as it will smoothen the process thus enabling wax to release easily. Avoid over use of moisturiser as it creates a thin layer thus weakening the wax’s grip.
What not to do after waxing?
Avoid exposure to sun, wait for two days before you start swimming and stay away from chemical peel treatment. You can apply cold compress and wear loose and comfortable cloths.
Is there any side effect of waxing?
Although there are no side effects associated with the process of waxing, you can experience redness and inflammation. Apply a cold compress on the affected areas and the symptoms would vanish in a day or two.
How do I stop breaking out after waxing?
Don’t touch the area immediately after waxing as it can cause clogged pores. You can moisturise your skin with a product which is oil free.
Can you use witch hazel after waxing?
If you are experiencing redness and inflammation after waxing, go for witch hazel which works like a natural astringent. It prevents clogging of pores thus eliminating any possibility of breakouts.