While the desire for beauty is universal, the shift toward natural skin and hair care remedies has grown in recent decades, flooding the market with herbal products. Emu oil, hailed as a ‘miracle cure,’ is a natural ingredient with purported benefits for health, skin, and hair. Setting aside its health benefits, let’s delve into what emu oil can contribute to enhancing beauty and whether it lives up to the claims.
What Is Emu Oil?
Emu oil is obtained from the big, flightless bird called ‘Emu’ (Dromaius Novaehollandiae), which is farmed in Australia and several other countries for their red meat. The oil is processed from the thick fat pad on the back of the bird as the by-product of the meat production process. It is then refined and purified to eliminate the traces of impurities, other organic substances, and smell. The natural healing power of emu oil has long been appreciated; however, it has recently come to the limelight for its potent skin and hair benefits. (1) (2)
Properties Of Emu Oil
Here is all you need to know about the composition and properties of pure emu oil:
- The cloudy, pale yellow-colored oil is exceptionally lightweight and non-greasy. It is hypoallergenic with no known harmful side effects.
- It blends saturated and unsaturated (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) fatty acids. According to researchers, 70% are unsaturated fatty acids protecting our heart, and 50% are monounsaturated fatty acids.
- Being almost 100% triglyceride, emu oil is considered a neutral lipid. It has tiny molecules and doesn’t contain phospholipids, contributing to its ability to penetrate significantly.
- It is loaded with a monounsaturated fatty acid named ‘oleic acid,’ which is found to be the most significant component of perfectly processed emu oil. It is oleic acid, which also makes the oil highly penetrating.
- The oil can be used as a ‘transdermal delivery system’ as it can penetrate the epidermis and go deeper and, above all, carry other products (medications or cosmetics) along with it, enhancing their potency.
- Emu oil is an excellent natural emulsifier. Due to its superb ‘blend-ability,’ it can create a perfect oil-water mixture that can penetrate the surface level of our skin and hair easily without leaving any oily/greasy residue.
- The anti-inflammatory qualities of emu oil make it a successful natural cure for inflammation, cuts and wounds, burns, scars, arthritis pains, joint pains, muscle aches, and many other health issues.
- Emu oil is also bacteriostatic, which ensures no bacterial growth, less oxidation, no eventual rancidity, and long shelf life.
Benefits Of Emu Oil For Skin
As mentioned earlier, emu oil is highly beneficial for our skin. Here is how you can make your skin happy by opting for it:
- Nourishes and moisturizes the skin well with its high fatty acid content so that we can get rid of dry and dull skin
- Increases the water retention capacity of the surface level of our skin to keep it hydrated for long
- Stimulates cell regeneration, which eventually makes our skin grow to avoid thinning
- It fights against premature aging and eliminates its signs like wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, etc., thereby giving us healthy, youthful skin
- .Delivers bio-nutrients to the innermost level of the skin, thereby making it firmer, plumper, and more supple
- It doesn’t irritate or inflame the skin; instead, it soothes inflamed skin to provide instant relief
- .It doesn’t block skin pores (non-comedogenic) so that the skin doesn’t break out
- Heals wounds, bruises, scars, burns, stretch marks, etc. at a rapid pace
- Treats mild to severe skin conditions like redness, rosacea, cracking, peeling, scaling, eczema, psoriasis, and so on
Benefits Of Emu Oil For Hair
Emu oil is also considered a fortifying agent for our mane. Check out how it can improve the health of your hair:
- It puts a stop to hair loss and cures spot balding
- Promotes new hair growth by stimulating the dormant hair follicles on our scalp
- Repairs split ends by providing nourishment to the damaged hair fibers
- It helps in thickening the scalp to make the follicles sitting on it healthy
- Reduces scalp inflammation, thereby triggering the growth of hair
- Adds healthy shine and sheen to the locks
- While purchasing emu oil, make sure that you go for a renowned brand. The oil should be processed and refined the right way. Otherwise, it will not work, and you might even end up experiencing adverse side effects.
Emu oil, derived from the emu bird, has gained attention for its claimed health, skin, and hair benefits. Rich in fatty acids, especially oleic acid, it’s lightweight, hypoallergenic, and can penetrate deeply. It serves as a transdermal delivery system, blending well and enhancing the potency of other products. Emu oil is anti-inflammatory bacteriostatic and has various skin benefits, such as moisturizing, reducing signs of aging, and addressing skin conditions. For hair, it prevents hair loss, stimulates growth, repairs split ends and adds shine. Choosing a reputable brand is crucial for efficacy and safety.