Dewy and luminous skin is what most of us aspire for. But with skin troubles, bad eating habits, lack of exercise and hydration, our skin tends to be dull and flaky. Nevertheless, there is nothing that makeup can’t fix. While dewy skin is meant to be natural-looking, you can get your skin to look amazingly dewy with some effort and the right makeup techniques. So without much ado, let us see how we can get dewy skin with makeup.
Prepare Your Skin
It is essential to have smooth skin before you start with your makeup.
The first step forward is to keep your skin well-hydrated. Otherwise, achieving a dewy look would be a difficult task. Hydration to your skin means increasing its water content, as dehydrated skin looks dull and flaky. On the other hand, hydrated skin feels smooth to the touch and appears radiant and fresh. To get well-hydrated skin, you need to follow the following tips:
1. Drink lots of water to hydrate your skin. It is recommended to drink 8 glasses of water daily.
2. Moisturize your skin often to lock the hydration. Hydration implies adding water to your skin, while moisturization means locking the water inside your skin cells.
3. Choose water-based products to fight dehydrated skin. Look for the ingredients such as Hyaluronic acid, Glycerin, Ceramides, Panthenol in your skincare products. They are known to retain skin moisture for a long period. In addition, there are moisturizers available in the market which provides radiance and illumination. Apply a light coat of moisturizer on the skin to get a mild glow.
4. Give a boost of moisturization with the sheet masks. This will help in plumping up your skin and reduce the fine lines.
5.Avoid a long and hot shower.
6. Use a humidifier if needed.
Sunscreen should never be forgotten
The biggest mistake you may be committing in your daily skincare regimen is skipping sunscreen. Sun exposure dehydrates and discolors the skin, sometimes breaking down collagen. So, make sure to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen to avoid UVA and UVB.
Exfoliate twice a week
Also, exfoliate twice a week to get rid of any dead cells. Do not do it just before applying makeup, as exfoliation can cause reddish patches sometimes. Finally, do an oil massage once a week. A good oil like virgin coconut oil won’t break you out as it increases blood circulation to the skin.
Going Ahead with Your Dewy Makeup
Prime up the prepared skin
Before applying your foundation, use a primer or a toner to shrink pores, as these are the number one hurdle to the dewy look. The cosmetic market is loaded with many different primers, like hydrating, mattifying, luminizing, etc. You can choose according to your skin type, but hydrating primer is the best option for the dewy look. You can even dab on some ice cubes on the skin to shrink pores.
Also Read – How to Rejuvenate Your Skin Using Oil Cleansing
Makeup artists Allan Avendaño and Mary Phillips suggest using fingers to blend the primer and recommend leaving it for a minute to dry. (1)
“The trick with any primer is to make sure it’s applied in a small dime-to-nickel-size amount, and it’s fully blended in first,” says Avendaño.
He further says that applying lightly and sparingly is the rule. You may cover lightly only those areas where you find open pores, wrinkles, or blemishes. Just make sure you are not putting too much primer and instantly following it by your foundation.
Moving forward with the next step, one has to be cautious about common foundation mistakes that we all commit. This is the second biggest hurdle towards that perfect dewy look.
Landing on the right foundation is the challenge you have to unfold. Your foundation must seem like your second skin; it has to be that natural. Try to find out a foundation that matches your skin tone. And always try the prospective foundations under your eyes, along your jawline, and on your nose. Rub them, and if they seem to disappear into your skin, it’s a perfect match.
Another rule goes: less is more. Try to apply minimal foundation and correct your blemishes with concealer. Find out the foundation that matches your skin tone or maybe one shade up and down. Too much difference between your skin and foundation tone creates a messy and cakey look. To obtain a dewy look, a cream-based foundation is great. (2)
Since we are looking for a “natural” glow from within, you may opt for something less obvious than a foundation. The market is flooded with BB and CC creams that offer skincare, sun protection with coverage. They not only moisturize the skin but also even out the skin tone. The CC cream has a lighter texture and color than the BB cream, so opt for it for the most natural and subtle look. Make sure you don’t overuse the product since you are looking for a sheer effect. A little is sufficient; they last a whole day.
The secret to dewy skin is to not use powder or compact all over the face as it gives you a matte effect. Instead, use some translucent powder under the eyes and in the area around the nose.
As a word of caution, since the powder is being skipped and a shine is desired in this look, this may not be best suited for women with oily skin. You don’t want your skin to appear very oily halfway through the day.
Surprisingly, the word may seem to be an oxymoron when one talks about hydrating powder. But that is true; the hydrating powder is a new way forward for a dewy makeup finish. These new-generation powders are loaded with ingredients like hyaluronic acid. They soaked up the undesirable shine while still keeping your skin plump and moisturized. They are made in such a way that they do not settle down, increase, or wrinkle, thus, keeping the look non-patchy. They mattify the shine while leaving the skin radiant.
The art of highlighting is a must for every makeup aspirant, especially when you long for a fresh and dewy radiance. But, to nail it right, there are some tips everyone must know.
1. Match your highlighter with your foundation. If you love liquid foundation, pair it with a liquid highlighter. With a cream-based foundation, a powder highlighter is an answer.
2. If you wish to give a full face glow and keep it very natural, go for mixing. Yes! Mix a little bit of your highlighter with a liquid foundation.
3. Apply a powder or a liquid highlighter on the cheekbones, nose bridge, chin, and brow bones. These are the areas where the sun naturally hits.
4. Some loose shimmer can be dusted all over your face. Remember not to overdo it. Use a peachy-colored cream blush for the cheeks, just a hint.
5. If you don’t own any highlighter, grab your facial oil and mix it with the concealer into a thick consistency. Now apply to those strategic areas. (3)
Soft and glossy lips go well with the dewy makeup look. Dark, flaky lips destroy the whole look. There are many ways to achieve that perfect plump lips. Hydrate yourself often, exfoliate your lips twice a week and try out some home remedies as well. Rub some drops of lemon on your lips, make sure that lips are not dry and cracked. Moreover, you can moisturize it with some aloe vera gel. Or may try out a scrub made of almond and honey.
You may even opt for putting some highlighter over your lip area sparingly. This will give you super radiant lips. (4) Always remember, using floral and rosy tones of lips shades will give the most natural and fresh look.
Since shine and shimmer are all over the face, pick an earthy tone to line the eyes and keep it simple. If you are dressed for the night, go in for some slight shimmer in the form of a brown or gold eye shadow. But remember, less is always better!
Don’t allow your eyes to be overloaded with heavy makeup, it may result in creases and wrinkles over the eyelids. A little bit of mascara or a peachy eye base would do wonders. Keep it simple and minimal.
If you wish to achieve that extra dewy eyes, you may add an eye primer to your eyelids. This is to be followed by rosy tone eye shadow and finally finish it with an eye gloss.
If you are missing these sophisticated eye products, then there is a way out. Alternatively, instead of an eye primer, a normal concealer can be used. Likewise, lip tint can replace eye shadow, and normal gloss also does the same job.
There are some beautiful points you should forever keep in your mind when going forward with a dewy look:
1. Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate.
2. Make your hydration long-lasting with a super moisturizer.
3. Read the ingredients in your cosmetics. Find out the hydrating ingredients.
4. Make a habit of exfoliation and always wear your sunscreen.
5. Choose the right primer for smoother makeup.
6. Go by the rule of less is more when it is about foundation, powder, and highlighter.
7. Choose a peachy and floral tone for your eyes and lips.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is dewy makeup?
It is makeup that is done using hydrating agents, oils, and humectants. So to give a look that is fresh, luminous, healthy, and glowing. It is basically to give your skin a moist look, like morning dew on the grass.
How to know which primer is best for me?
Makeup artist Elisa Flowers advises hydrating primers for dry and patchy skin and combination skin while mattifying primers for those having extra shine on their face. Another tip is to see if your primer is going well with your foundation; the two should smoothly mix up.
When do we put the highlighter, before or after the foundation?
That depends upon the highlighter you pick up. The liquid highlighter must be used before applying the foundation, as the highlighter tends to break down in one place. While powder foundation concentrates at one place, hence should be applied after the foundation.
- “The Ultimate Guide to Makeup Primer and How to Use It” – allure.com
- “10 foundation mistakes you’re making that are ruining your makeup” – insider.com
- “Calling All Glow-Getters: 11 Highlighter Hacks For a Radiant-Looking Visage” – lorealparisusa.com
- “Lip Gloss” – maybelline.com