Let’s admit it: we only care for the eyes when we see dark circles, puffiness, and wrinkles peeping through our under-eye area. So it is time we gave the most delicate part of our face some pamper and care. And we better start doing it before we are mistaken for a character from The Walking Dead!
A decade ago, there were hardly any skincare products for the eyes. However, age, sun exposure, irregular sleep patterns, and stress have increased under-eye skin concerns. As a result, what was once a void in the skincare industry is overflowing so much that departmental stores now have a separate section for eye care products in their beauty aisle.
Today, eye care products come in different forms and cater to every eye concern. Under-eye gels, for example, are the most sought-after, thanks to their lightweight consistency and ease of application.
Skincare addicts vouch for undereye gels to combat dry skin around the eyes and prevent puffiness and dark circles. Scroll ahead to get through some of the best undereye gels you can grab, including affordable daily wear and high-end options.
What are under-eye gels?
Because the under-eye area is thinner than normal skin, it is prone to damage (1). In addition, this area of the face is the hotspot for signs of aging due to the lack of sebaceous glands (2). Therefore, gentle products require regular care, and undereye gels are the best.
Owing to their lightweight texture, undereye gels get absorbed easily without adding pounds to the undereye area. While they don’t promise to take away a decade from your age, undereye gels are worth giving a shot, especially if you’re not up for expensive dermatological procedures.
Under-eye gels, or any gel of cosmetic grade, are made with a carbomer. This is a polymer of acrylic acid that provides thickness to cosmetics. Unlike active ingredients, a carbomer is an inactive ingredient that may not directly benefit the skin. But they give products like under-eye gels a medium to carry active ingredients into the skin’s deeper layers.
Who needs an undereye gel?
A study noted the lack of enough oil glands and collagen in the under-eye area of the skin (3). This indicates the eye area’s susceptibility to dry quickly, making way for dark circles and wrinkles. The key takeaway from these facts is that the under-eye area is delicate and needs special care.
Many dermatologists suggest using a facial moisturizer to prevent dryness in the under-eye area; however, experts argue this could prove detrimental. Regular moisturizers have emollients and are heavy for the thin skin under the eyes. This calls for products that are quick-absorbing and lightweight.
Under-eye gels are jelly-like products that are mostly transparent and easy to blend. They hydrate the skin around the eyes to prevent dryness. They are of utmost benefit for those with dry or dehydrated skin or aging skin.
Best under-eye gels worth trying
Before you start frantically searching for an under-eye gel, read through our recommendations, and we are sure you will find one that will work just right for you.
1. Olay Deep Hydrating Eye Gel with Hyaluronic Acid
Designed for tired eyes, Olay’s Deep Hydrating Eye Gel fights fatigue around the eyes. It aims at giving the eyes an instant boost of hydration to prevent dehydration. In addition, the hyaluronic acid-based formula intends to give your tired eyes a refreshed look. With this powerhouse of hydration, your eyes can bid goodbye to the zombie look!
- It is enriched with pro-vitamin B5, peptides, cucumber, and witch hazel extracts.
- The lightweight consistency of this gel blends easily around the eyes
- It gets quickly absorbed into the skin while quenching the thirst of dry skin
- The presence of niacinamide in this gel gives it brightening abilities
- It is clinically tested and has outperformed the best eye care products in the market
Olay Deep Hydrating Eye Gel suits those with dry, combination, and typical skin types. Made without any fragrance, this undereye gel will also work for those with sensitive skin. Use this right after cleaning your face and toning it. It is suitable for both daytime and night-time routines. Regularly using this under-eye gel will ensure you wake up with hydrated and wide-awake eyes.
Price: $29.99 for 0.5 fl Oz
2. Acure Brightening Eye Contour Gel
Formulated to make the under-eye area brighter and radiant, this Eye Contour Gel by Acure targets wrinkles and puffiness around the eyes. It is enriched with seaweed and hibiscus extracts and is free of harmful ingredients like sulfate, mineral oil, paraben, and formaldehyde. Acure is a cruelty-free brand, and this product is suitable for vegans.
- It contains hydrating ingredients like aloe vera juice, glycerin, and witch hazel water.
- The convenient tube packaging avoids the chances of the product getting contaminated.
- With moisturizing ingredients like sunflower, grape seed, and avocado oil, this under-eye gel ensures the under-eye area remains moisturized for longer.
- Active ingredients like retinyl palmitate and sodium hyaluronate are beneficial in curbing signs of aging around the eyes.
If you’re looking for something to soothe your tired eyes, this under-eye gel can be beneficial as it contains soothing ingredients like argan extracts, witch hazel, and aloe vera. Acure recommends taking a pea-sized amount of this under-eye gel and dabbing it around the eyes, starting from the inside towards the corners. It is suitable for all skin types.
Price: $22.99 for 0.5 fl Oz
3. Baebody Eye Gel for Under and Around Eyes
A powerful source of anti-aging ingredients, this under-eye gel by Baebody has won the hearts of many for its packaging and believable results. It aims at reducing the appearance of puffiness, dark circles, under-eye bags, and wrinkles. The hydrating formula of this under-eye gel contains a peptide complex that boosts collagen production.
- Matryxyl 3000 in this gel helps in smoothening fine lines and wrinkles
- To moisturize the under-eye area, this gel contains vitamin E and jojoba oils
- The sanitary airless pump dispenser ensures you pump out the correct amount of product each time you dab the lid
- It contains an amino acid blend that provides deep hydration to the under-eye area
- The presence of hydrating ingredients like aloe vera juice, cucumber fruit water, and sodium lactate make this under-eye gel a must for dry-skin folks
Being dermatologically tested, we also find this under-eye gel suitable for sensitive skin. It has been allergy and sensitizing tested and is proven to be non-irritating. The lightweight texture of this gel is sure to awaken your eyes without feeling tacky, sticky, or heavy around the eyes. It is formulated sans parabens, sulfates, gluten, and animal ingredients.
Price: $27.95 for 1.7 fl Oz
4. L’Oreal Paris Skincare Age Perfect Hydra-Nutrition Eye Gel
Enriched with Manuka honey extract, this under-eye gel aims to de-puff eye bags with its rollerball wand. L’Oreal describes their Age Perfect Hydra-Nutrition Eye Gel as an ultra-gentle under-eye gel with a cooling sensation on the delicate under-eye area. This under-eye gel promises to reduce dark circles and puffy bags in just one week.
- It helps in strengthening the skin’s ability to retain moisture
- The rollerball applicator gently massages the under-eye area to reduce fine lines
- The formula has a cooling effect on the under-eye area that cushions mature and dehydrated skin
- It guarantees smoother and more supple skin with every use
- It is infused with calcium, antioxidants, nurturing oils, and manuka honey
The non-sticky consistency provides hydration to the under-eye area for around 24 hours. This under-eye gel has been dermatologically tested to be safe for those with sensitive skin. It is formulated without parabens, fragrance, and mineral oil. Apply this under-eye gel around the eyes in circular motions and gently pat the excess with your fingers.
Price: $24.99 for 0.5 fl Oz
5. Wake Skincare Eye Gel
An under-eye gel that revolutionized the skincare industry globally is Wake Skincare’s Eye Gel. It is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants to combat signs of premature aging. This luxury gel formula awakens tired eyes and soothes puffy eyes. It also doubles up as a moisturizer for the face.
- The cucumber and elderflower extracts in this under-eye gel instantly work on tired and puffy eyes.
- This under-eye gel also contains vitamin E to moisturize the skin
- Wake Skincare also recommends using this under-eye gel underneath makeup to achieve a smooth base
- Being packed in a glass bottle, this product is also eco-friendly
Wake Skincare recommends this eye gel for all skin types. It is free of alcohol and gluten. Hydrolyzed collagen is one of its key ingredients; this under-eye gel promises to diminish wrinkles and inflammation around the eyes. Apply this under-eye gel to your cleansed face day and night by gently massaging it. Wake Skincare guarantees a noticeable reduction in dark circles around the eyes with regular use of this eye gel.
Price: $14.99 for 30 ml
6. Cetaphil Hydrating Eye Gel Cream
Another popular under-eye gel we recommend is Cetaphil’s Hydrating Eye Gel Cream. Don’t get confused by the name because this gel crème formula is enriched with hyaluronic acid to hydrate the under-eye area instantly. It also contains licorice extract to nourish the delicate skin around the eyes.
- The hyaluronic acid-rich formula of this gel brightens and smoothens the under-eye area.
- The mix of vitamins E and B3 works towards brightening the under-eye area
- It is a quick-absorbing product that moisturizes the skin deeply
- Once applied, this under-eye gel locks in moisture and softens the skin
- It visibly refreshes the under-eye area and maintains the hydration level for up to 24 hours
Cetaphil hydrating eye gel cream has been tested by dermatologists and is recommended for all skin types. The non-irritating formula is fit for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers. Cetaphil recommends using this under-eye gel after cleansing your face. Apply a pearl-sized amount around the eyes and massage it gently into the skin. Follow this up with a moisturizer and sunscreen during the daytime.
Price: $21.49 for 0.5 fl Oz
7. Bliss Eye Do All Things Hydrating Eye Gel
This multi-action under-eye gel by Bliss awakens puffy eyes and tightens the skin around the eyes. It is enriched with caffeine, peptides, and plant stem cells. The formula has a cooling effect around the eyes that helps reduce puffiness and dark circles.
- The unique packaging consists of a rollerball applicator that instantly cools the skin.
- One of the key ingredients in this under-eye gel is vitamin C, which protects the skin from free radicals.
- It also contains plant-derived squalene that provides ample hydration to the under-eye area.
- This under-eye gel transforms dull and tired eyes into refreshed ones due to the cucumber fruit extracts.
- This fragrance-free under-eye gel is suitable for those with sensitive skin as well.
It is formulated without parabens, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate, urea, mineral oil, formaldehyde, and petrolatum. Pump a tiny amount of the gel and massage it around the eyes using the tube’s rollerball applicator. Then, tap the product on the skin using your fingers. This under-eye gel can be used in the morning and night and is suitable for all skin types.
Price: $25 for 0.7 fl Oz
Under-eye gels are an innovation that has taken the skincare industry by storm. People who have sensitive skin have finally found an alternative to heavy and thick eye creams. Under-eye gels are formulated to get quickly absorbed into the skin without clogging the skin. Many under-eye gels are also made to de-puff the eyes and reduce dark circles. Look for hydrating ingredients if you have dry skin especially around the eyes. We recommend choosing an under-eye gel that is suitable for your skin type. If you have sensitive eyes, go for one that is dermatologist-tested and hypoallergenic.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the best time to use an under-eye gel?
This depends on the product and its ingredients. For example, under-eye gels are designed to be used only at night, while others can be used day and night. Read the instructions carefully on the packaging and do as instructed.
At what age should one start using an under-eye gel?
If you’re in your 20s and find that your skin is experiencing lower levels of elasticity, you can start using an under-eye gel. First, however, look out for lightweight formulas with essential ingredients.
- “Infraorbital Dark Circles: A Review of the Pathogenesis, Evaluation and Treatment” – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “New finding that might explain why the skin wrinkles more on various parts of the face” – onlinelibrary.wiley.com
- “Evaluation of the clinical efficacy and safety of an eye counter pad containing caffeine and vitamin K in emulsified Emu oil base” – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov