Have you been considering getting a nose reshaping procedure? If so, it’s essential to understand that there are certain things to do before committing to the surgery to ensure a safe and successful outcome. Preparing for any medical procedure can be stressful and overwhelming, but by following a few simple tips, you can rest assured knowing that everything will go as planned. This article will provide helpful information about the pre-operative preparations you should make before undergoing the procedure.
What Is Nose Reshaping Surgery?
Nose reshaping surgery, or rhinoplasty, is a procedure that can change the shape and size of your nose to improve its appearance. It can also correct any breathing problems due to structural issues in your nose. During the surgery, an incision will be made on either side of your nostrils, allowing access to remove excess skin, tissue, cartilage, and bone around the nasal area. In some cases, grafts taken from other parts of your body may need to be used to build up certain areas of the nose. After the procedure has been completed, it will take several weeks for all swelling and bruising to subside before you see the full results.
Considering this is a major surgery, there are several steps you must take to ensure the best rhinoplasty procedure. Here are things you must do before the big day:
1. Seek Doctor’s Assessment And Obtain Medical Clearance
Before undergoing nose reshaping surgery, it’s crucial to obtain medical clearance. This involves scheduling a visit to your doctor for a thorough physical examination and assessment of any current medications or health conditions that could affect the surgery. The physician may also order additional tests, such as blood work and an electrocardiogram (ECG).
The medical results will determine whether you can safely undergo nose reshaping surgery. If there are any concerns about your health status, further evaluation may be recommended before being cleared to proceed with the procedure. Moreover, during the assessment, it’s also best to disclose relevant information regarding allergies, past surgeries or illnesses, smoking habits, etc.
If your health status is clear, obtain written authorization from your primary care provider confirming that you’ve been cleared medically to undergo surgery. This document must be presented on the day of your rhinoplasty procedure.
2. Refrain From Taking Specific Medications
Notably, patients on maintenance medications for chronic conditions must discuss these with their surgeon before beginning the preparation process for rhinoplasty. The doctor will determine which medications can be safely continued during the pre-operative period. Moreover, patients must take all prescribed medicine exactly as their physician-directed to maintain optimal health before the surgery.
It’s also important to discontinue any medications that may cause bleeding. These include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin and ibuprofen, blood thinners such as warfarin or heparin, and herbal supplements. In addition, patients should also avoid taking vitamin E for two weeks before the procedure.
Also Read – 17 Reasons Why to Have a Nose Job
Furthermore, patients should also refrain from using recreational drugs or alcohol while preparing for rhinoplasty. Abstaining from illicit substances or excessive drinking can help reduce the risk of complications and ensure an optimal outcome after the operation.
3. Quit Smoking
Smoking is a major risk factor before any surgical procedure, as it increases the chance of complications and makes healing more difficult for wounds. Consequently, smokers must know that quitting before this surgery is essential to ensure successful results.
Generally, many ways can help one quit smoking or reduce nicotine consumption before the operation day. First and foremost, if possible, it’s best to avoid all forms of tobacco altogether from at least three weeks before your scheduled date. Behavioral support, such as counseling and peer-support groups, can also be very beneficial in helping you become smoke-free. Additionally, your doctor may prescribe some medications to reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms during this period.
4. Get Your Home Ready For Recovery
A clean and tidy home is also essential for a successful recovery. Getting your home ready can allow you to rest and heal comfortably after your procedure.
First, arrange any furniture or items around your bedroom to avoid having to move them once you are post-op. Doing all the heavy lifting beforehand will save you from straining yourself afterward.
Next, stock up on supplies such as extra towels and washcloths, ice packs (or frozen vegetables), cooling gel masks, or compresses. You should also ensure that the prescribed pain relievers like acetaminophen, easy snacks like crackers, and straws, if needed for liquids, are easily accessible to keep you comfortable while resting at home during recovery.
5. Make Transportation Arrangements
Your transportation is one of the arrangements you need to prepare before undergoing nose reshaping surgery. This can help ensure that everything goes as smoothly as possible on the day of surgery.
Here are some tips for arranging your transportation:
- Schedule a ride in advance with someone you trust, such as a family member or friend.
- Make sure there will be sufficient time to get to the appointment on time and return home afterward.
- If you need it, ask if they could stay with you while waiting at the hospital/clinic before or after the operation.
- Consider hiring a transportation rental service if necessary.
- It’s also vital to consider any additional needs required during and after the surgery, such as assistance opening doors or carrying bags. Taking these steps before your scheduled surgery can help ensure safe travel both ways and makes the process easier overall.
6. Prepare To Face Anxiety
Feeling anxious or stressed before any surgery is expected. To help ease your nerves and cope with anxiety and stress before your surgery, here are several steps you can take:
- Talk openly with your physician about how you’re feeling. Ask questions and ensure the doctor has addressed your concerns so you know what to expect during and after the procedure.
- Discuss any medications prescribed pre-operatively and pain management options available post-operatively. This can help put your mind at ease leading up to the day of surgery.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, yoga, or meditation.
- If necessary, speak with a professional therapist who specializes in helping patients manage their worries surrounding surgical operations; this could be invaluable support throughout the entire process for handling emotions related to cosmetic procedures.
- With these strategies combined, you can better deal with fear or nervousness experienced right before going into the hospital for your surgery.
Nose reshaping surgery is considered a major surgical procedure, so knowing the necessary steps to take before undergoing one is important. A thorough medical evaluation and clearance are essential, as well as medication management and smoking cessation. Moreover, emotional preparations are crucial to managing expectations and coping with anxiety or stress. While it’s normal to have some worries leading up to your procedure, researching and preparing properly can help ensure everything goes smoothly on the day of the operation. You may be feeling scared or overwhelmed right now but know that there’s nothing wrong with that; focus on taking care of yourself physically and emotionally so you can get the best results possible from your surgery.