Gone are the days when grooming eyebrows was about shaping them up well. Now, tinting has also become a huge trend, and beauty enthusiasts worldwide love it. A pair of well-shaped, well-textured, and well-tinted eyebrows have the power to enhance your appearance to a great extent. While you can always get professional brow tinting done at a salon, it is always better to save some dollars and DIY it easily at home with all-natural ingredients you already have in your pantry. Let us tell you about the secret herbal recipes and tricks, along with the reasons for tinting your brows.
What is Eyebrow Tinting?
Eyebrow tinting is an enhancement method used to achieve appealing eyebrows without entailing much commitment. In this procedure, a dye in the desired shade is used to color the eyebrows, which blends entirely with the natural bow color and brightens up the face. It gives thick and lush-looking eyebrows by darkening all hairs (light hair, thin baby hair, and even gray hair) and making them more prominent. Precisely, an eyebrow tint improves the shape of the eyebrows and defines them beautifully so that you do not need to bother about filling or styling them daily with brow fillers and pencils. The quick treatment takes only a few minutes to give a realistic ‘young and gorgeous’ look instead of making the brows look drawn-on.
Different Types of Eyebrow Tinting
If you are interested in eyebrow tinting, there are two options for you to choose from. Check them out below:
- Temporary Tinting: If you want a temporary color for your eyebrows, tinting them on a daily basis is the way. All you need to do is tint your eyebrows with the help of an applicator, just like other eye makeup products. Being a temporary solution, this tint is safe and can be washed off easily.
- Semi-Permanent Tinting: If tinting brows regularly is not your cup of tea, go for this semi-permanent solution. As the name implies, this does not need to be done every day. Rather, it remains intact for more than weeks and slowly starts fading away. You can either try it at home with DIY recipes or seek the help of a salon professional.
Also Read – How to Fix 8 Most Common Eyebrow Issues Easily
Benefits of DIY Eyebrow Tinting
Though professional tinting sounds more reliable, you should swap that for at-home treatments. Accentuating natural eyebrows with DIY recipes has multiple benefits. Let us take a look:
- It includes all-natural ingredients that are safer than the chemical dyes used in professional brow tinting treatments. Hence, you do not need to worry about adverse effects like rashes, allergies, and infections.
- You can customize DIY brow tinting recipes according to your convenience by tweaking the ingredients. In other words, it leaves enough room for you to experiment with the recipes and sport the shade of your choice.
- All the ingredients required for DIY recipes are cheap and readily available. Hence, it does not burn a hole in the pocket as professional brow tinting does.
- While salon tinting treatments take lots of time, you can try DIY recipes at home and retouch easily in just 15-20 minutes, right from the comfort of your home.
Some people use food colors to dye their eyebrows. However, it simply needs to be mixed with a thick lotion, such as body butter for smooth application. Nowadays, many natural eyebrow tinting kits are also available in the market. They also let you choose from different shades to make your eyebrows look more attractive.
5 DIY Natural Recipes for Eyebrow Tinting
So, how to tint eyebrows at home safely and naturally? Given below are the best DIY herbal recipes that you can try for this purpose:
1. Henna and Yogurt
This is the most common way to dye eyebrow hair naturally, especially for women with sparse eyebrows. In addition, henna creates a wonderful shadow on the skin underneath the brows to correct the flaw visually.
- Henna powder – 2 tablespoons
- Almond – a handful
- Plain yogurt – 2 teaspoons
- Water – 1 bowl
Soak the almonds in water for at least one hour and grind them thoroughly into a smooth, even paste. Add 1 teaspoon of yogurt to it and mix well. Use this mixture to prepare the brows for dying by exfoliating excess hair around them and providing nourishment to the hair roots. Now, combine the rest of the yogurt with the henna powder and create a semi-liquid mixture. Apply this to your eyebrows as a herbal dye.
Also Read – How To Dye Your Eyebrows Naturally With Henna
2. Aloe Vera Gel and Activated Charcoal
This tinting recipe can be the best solution when struggling with light or grey eyebrows. The activated charcoal will give your eyebrows a natural dark shade, while aloe gel will keep them soft and smooth for a long time.
Aloe vera gel – 1 tablespoon
Activated charcoal powder – 1 tablespoon
Add aloe vera gel to activated charcoal powder and blend them well to form a smooth paste. Apply it to your eyebrows with a cotton ball or pad and let it dry for 30 to 40 minutes. You can also include a teaspoonful of cocoa powder and the content of one vitamin E capsule in this recipe to give the color payoff and smoothness an extra boost.
3. Castor Oil and Henna
As mentioned earlier, henna can darken the eyebrows naturally for a gorgeous and youthful look. On the other side, castor oil can help regrow hair in thinner eyebrows for a more defined appearance.
Castor oil – 2 tablespoons
Curry leaves – 4 to 5
Henna powder – 1 tablespoon
Put henna powder, and curry leaves in a small metallic pan. Pour castor oil into it and place the pan over low flame. Bring the mixture to a boil. After 10 minutes, take the pan out of the heat and allow it to cool down. You can also pour the mixture into a bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
4. Henna and Black Coffee
Both henna and black coffee have strong staining properties that help in giving a dark tint to the eyebrows. Moreover, the tint becomes so perfect that it lasts for a long time without fading away.
Henna powder – 1 tablespoon
Black coffee powder – 1 tablespoon
Water – 1 large cup
Start with boiling black coffee powder in water for at least 10 minutes. You need to prepare a strong decoction and then cool it down completely. Now, add the henna powder to it and blend properly with the help of a spoon. Apply this mixture to your eyebrows and let it sit for a few minutes.
5. Coffee and Cocoa Powder
Try this recipe for freshly tweezed or waxed eyebrows as it soothes the raw skin wonderfully instead of inflaming the open follicles. Both coffee and cocoa help tint the bows, while coconut oil, honey, and aloe vera gel make the skin underneath the brows healthy.
Used or wet coffee grounds – 2 tablespoons
Cocoa powder – 1 teaspoon
Coconut oil – 2 tablespoons
Aloe vera gel – a few drops
Honey – (1/2) teaspoon
Mix used coffee grounds and cocoa powder thoroughly in a bowl. Pour coconut oil into it. Also, add aloe vera gel and honey. Now, blend all the ingredients into a uniform paste and let it sit for 5 minutes before applying.
Though DIY herbal treatments are safe to use, you can do a patch test before using them directly on your eyebrows. This will ensure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients, thereby avoiding adverse effects like rashes and redness. You also need to prep your brows by shaping them up properly at least a week ahead.
Steps to Follow for DIY Eyebrow Tinting
Once you are ready with your homemade natural eyebrow tint, follow the steps below to carry on the procedure:
- Cleanse your face with a gentle face wash and tepid water focusing on your brow area.
- Pat it dry and comb the brows with a spoolie brush.
- Apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly around the brows to prevent staining the adjacent skin.
- Start applying the tint from the denser inner part of the brows and slowly spread it to the thinner outer part.
- Do not forget to go back and dye the stray hairs along the edges of the brows.
- Allow the tint to sit on your brows for at least 15 to 20 minutes to take effect. For darker shades, wait for a more extended period.
- Once you achieve your desired shade, remove the tint from the brows with a wet cotton ball by applying a little back and forth motion.
- Finally, apply an eyebrow gel to keep the brows in proper shape.
Eyebrow tinting is an eyebrow enhancement method in which a dye in the desired shade is used to color the eyebrows for turning them thicker and lush-looking. It improves the shape of the eyebrows and defines them beautifully by darkening all hairs. The quick treatment gives relief from filling or styling eyebrows daily. You can either tint your brows on a daily basis with a temporary color or choose semi-permanent tinting that lasts for a longer time. Though professional tinting sounds more reliable, trying DIY recipes with all-natural ingredients is much better as they offer quick and customizable outcomes with safety and affordability. Henna powder, black coffee grounds, activated charcoal powder, cocoa powder, yogurt, castor oil, aloe vera gel, honey, etc., are widely used ingredients used for this purpose. Follow simple steps to get youthful and gorgeous eyebrows once you are ready with your homemade natural eyebrow tint.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Can Onion Juice be Applied on Eyebrows?
Yes, you can apply onion juice to your brows every other day to strengthen hair follicles and improve collagen production for better growth of brow hairs.
Does Olive Oil Darken Eyebrows?
Olive oil makes brow hairs healthy and supports their growth, thus making the brows look fuller and thicker. This may create an illusion of darkening naturally.
Does Castor Oil Darken Eyebrows?
Castor oil is extremely effective in regrowing hair, making brows thicker and fuller over time. However, it has also been found to darken brow hairs significantly in the process.
Does Vaseline Make Your Eyebrows Darker?
There is no evidence that Vaseline helps in making eyebrows darker. Instead, it keeps the brows healthy by moisturizing the entire area.