With the increasing popularity of anti-aging beauty products, the arrival of new ‘magic’ anti-aging elements has also become quite common in the beauty scene. One such buzzword is ‘copper peptides,’ seen on the labels of many skincare products nowadays. These peptides claim to utilize the beauty benefits of the powerful metallic ingredient ‘copper’ and help us quickly eliminate several beauty woes. So, let’s break down the term’ copper peptides’ and know why we should stock up on products loaded with these ingredients.
What Are Peptides?
Let’s begin by discussing ‘peptides.’ Peptides are components of proteins, primarily consisting of long-chain amino acids (although short-chain amino acids may be present in some cases). Research indicates that most peptides function as moisture-binding agents, enhancing the resilience and texture of our skin. With remarkable cell-communicating abilities, peptides can also calm, repair, and rejuvenate our skin, contributing to overall skin health. These compounds can occur naturally in our bodies or artificially produced in a laboratory. However, synthetic peptides are preferred for their superior stability and increased effectiveness compared to their natural counterparts. (1) (2)
What Are Copper Peptides?
Copper peptides or copper gluconate is an explicit group of peptides naturally found in blood plasma, saliva, urine, etc., or engineered in the laboratory. It was first discovered by the biochemist Loren Pickart to be a skin-enhancing complex of copper with no risk of exposure to its hazardous levels. Combining copper and three amino acid molecules helps regenerate proteins like collagen and elastin, heal wounds, and improve skin health.
Skin And Hair Benefits Of Copper Peptides
Now, it is time to unlock the beauty benefits copper peptides offer. Let’s take a look at the ways this copper-protein complex can make our skin and hair look gorgeous:
- The complex of copper peptide has excellent antioxidant qualities that help our skin fight against acute cellular damage caused by free radicals over time. It visibly reduces the untimely appearance of signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, crow’s feet, expression lines, sagging, discoloration (pigmentation), etc.
- It stimulates the production of structural proteins like collagen and elastin in our skin, preventing skin cells’ disintegration as we age and helping us maintain a firmer, tighter, and rejuvenated appearance.
- It also promotes the production of glycosaminoglycans in our skin, which is necessary for keeping the inner cells moisturized and well-nourished. These help slow the aging process by keeping the skin plump and youthful.
- The antioxidant properties of copper peptides absorb the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays and protect our skin from photodamage, eventually delaying aging.
- It enhances the overall health and beauty of the skin by building the vital biochemical mechanisms in our body. As a result, our skin gets a natural glow.
- It treats wounds effectively by repairing and regenerating damaged skin tissue. It can entirely replace scar tissue with normal collagen proteins for severe scars.
- Being rich in amino acids, it can minimize the damage caused to our skin every day for various reasons and improve the quality of skin to a great extent.
- It has good anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which help keep irritation, infections, and other skin issues at bay.
- It can help in controlling hair loss or hair thinning to a great extent. Moreover, the copper peptide complex can stimulate hair follicles in the bald areas of the scalp and promote hair regrowth significantly.
Copper Peptides In Beauty Products
Finally, here is how copper peptides are being used in skin and hair care products these days:
- Cream / Moisturizer: The most advanced and intensively hydrating formulations are ultra-thick cocktails of anti-aging ingredients, including copper peptides. These are amazing for night-time moisturizing treatments for dry and mature skin. Such products are also quite effective in reducing the effects of hormonal imbalances on the skin while increasing elasticity and radiance.
- Mask: Copper peptide-infused masks offer all the goodness of skin-friendly metals required by dry and aging skin. These super hydrating masks are available in peel-off and gel forms, which can replenish skin moisture, making it softer, plumper, and brighter.
- Serum: Whether the serum is intended for skin, undereye area, or hair, if it contains copper peptides, it will benefit you greatly regarding cell turnover, anti-aging, and improved health.
Copper peptides can penetrate the skin to provide maximum benefits. As copper is metabolized inside our body very fast, the risk of toxicity associated with the topical application is also pretty low. Hence, make sure that you look for copper peptides on the labels of your favorite beauty products from your next purchase. Stay beautiful!
The rise of anti-aging beauty products has introduced “copper peptides” as a notable element, leveraging the beauty benefits of copper for various skin concerns. Copper peptides, a combination of copper and amino acids, act as antioxidants, stimulate collagen production, moisturize skin cells, and offer anti-bacterial properties. Found in creams, masks, and serums, these peptides contribute to improved skin health, reduced signs of aging, and enhanced hair growth, making them a valuable addition to beauty routines.