With the increasing popularity of anti-aging beauty products, the arrival of new ‘magic’ anti-aging elements has also become quite common in the beauty scene. One of such buzzwords is ‘copper peptides’, which can be seen in the labels of a wide range of skincare products nowadays. These peptides claim to utilize the beauty benefits of the powerful metallic ingredient ‘copper’ and help us get rid of a number of beauty woes easily. So, let’s break down the term ‘copper peptides’ and know why we should stock up on products loaded with these ingredients.
What Are Peptides?
We will start with a few words about ‘peptides’. Well, peptides are parts of proteins that are mainly composed of long chain amino acids (short chain amino acids can also be found in some of them). Studies have revealed that most of the peptides work as moisture-binding agents for improving the strength and texture of our skin. They can also soothe, repair and restore our skin’s health with excellent cell-communicating abilities. Peptides can be found naturally in our body or synthesized through lab engineering. However, synthetic peptides offer better stability and greater efficacy than the natural ones.
Also Read – Know The Ingredients In Beauty Products And Decode Your Cosmetics Labels Yourself! Here
What Are Copper Peptides?
Copper peptides or copper gluconate is an explicit group of peptides that are either naturally found in blood plasma, saliva, urine, etc., or engineered in the laboratory. It was first discovered by the biochemist Loren Pickart to be a skin-enhancing complex of copper with no risk of exposure to its hazardous levels. Being a combination of copper and three amino acid molecules, it helps in regenerating proteins like collagen and elastin, healing wounds, and improving the overall health of the skin.
Also Read – 10 Best Waterproof Makeup Products to Try Out Here
Skin And Hair Benefits Of Copper Peptides
Now, it is time to unlock the beauty benefits offered by copper peptides. Let’s take a look at the ways this copper-protein complex can make our skin and hair look gorgeous:
- The complex of copper peptide has amazing antioxidant qualities that help our skin fight against acute cellular damages caused by free radicals over time. It visibly reduces the untimely appearance of signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, crow’s feet, expression lines, sagging, discoloration (pigmentation) etc.
- It stimulates the production of structural proteins like collagen and elastin in our skin, which prevents the disintegration of skin cells as we age and helps us maintain a firmer, tighter, and rejuvenated appearance.
- It also promotes the production of glycosaminoglycans in our skin, which is necessary for keeping the inner cells moisturized and well-nourished. These helps in slowing down the process of aging by keeping the skin plump and youthful.
- The antioxidant properties of copper peptides absorb the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun and protect our skin from photo-damage, which eventually delays aging.
- It enhances the overall health as well as the beauty of the skin by building the vital biochemical mechanisms in our body. As a result, our skin gets a natural glow.
- It treats wounds effectively by repairing and regenerating damaged skin tissue. For severe scars, it can replace the scar tissue completely with normal collagen proteins.
- Being rich in amino acids, it can minimize the damages caused to our skin every day due to various reasons and improve the quality of skin to a great extent.
- It has good anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which help in keeping irritation, infections, and other skin issues at bay.
- It can help in controlling hair loss or hair thinning to a great extent. Moreover, the copper peptide complex can stimulate hair follicles in the bald areas of the scalp and promote hair regrowth significantly.
Also Read – The Best Products for Enhancing Your Brows Here
Copper Peptides In Beauty Products
Finally, here is how copper peptides are being used in skin and hair care products these days:
- Cream / Moisturizer: Most of these advanced and intensively hydrating formulations are ultra-thick cocktails of anti-aging ingredients including copper peptides. These are amazing for using as night-time moisturizing treatments for dry and mature skin. Such products are also quite effective in reducing the effects of hormonal imbalances on the skin while increasing elasticity as well as radiance.
- Mask: Copper peptide-infused masks offer all the goodness of skin-friendly metals required by the dry and aging skin. These super hydrating masks are available in both peel-off and gel forms, which can be used for instant replenishment of moisture in the skin, thereby making it softer, plumper, and brighter.
- Serum: Whether the serum is intended for skin, undereye area, or hair, if it contains copper peptides, it is going to benefit you a lot in terms of cell turnover, anti-aging, and improved health.
Copper peptides can penetrate the skin easily and go deep into it to provide maximum benefits. As copper is metabolized inside our body very fast, the risk of toxicity associated with the topical application is also pretty low. Hence, make sure that you look for copper peptides in the labels of your favorite beauty products from your next purchase. Stay beautiful!