Thick, coarse, and frizzy hair is always hard to manage, especially during those warm, sunny, and humid days. The struggle is so real that it can ruin any blissful day. However, fighting the frizz away and softening the strands can turn your hair silky smooth, thereby giving it a sleek and manageable texture. In this article, we have curated is a list of the 10 best hair smoothing creams available in India that can help you smooth out your tresses and tame your flyaways like breeze.
Why Does Hair Become Frizzy?
Our hair is made of a fibrous protein named ‘keratin‘, which is made of a certain amino acid called ‘cysteine’. In each hair strand, these cysteine molecules bond together through strong ‘disulfide’ bonds (linked sulfur atoms), which determines the texture of the hair (1). Wavy and curly hair comprises more disulfide bonds than straight ones as the shape and angle of follicles in it facilitates bond formation. This eventually turns them rough, frizzy, and unmanageable.
What is Hair Smoothing?
Hair smoothing is a temporary frizz-fighting treatment, which works by breaking apart the disulfide bonds in the hair and rearranging them in a sleek new pattern (2). The salon treatment process makes use of certain chemical compounds for this purpose. It makes hair smooth, shiny, and easy to manage, thus decreasing the blow-drying time at home dramatically. The effects of smoothing last anywhere between 2 months and 5 months based on care and maintenance.
Hair smoothing does not restructure the hair completely and hence, is not suitable for people of all hair types. It is not ideal for extremely thick or curly hair. Rather, women with wavy and frizzy hair should try it.
Adverse Effects of Hair Smoothing Treatments
Though the chemicals used for hair smoothing treatments in salons are less strong and less damaging than other similar treatments, they still cause harm to our locks. Typically, the ingredients used in hair smoothing solutions are methylene glycol or glyoxylic acid, which are called formaldehyde-releasers (3). They are often linked to issues like burning sensation in the eyes, mouth, and nose; headaches, chest pain, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and rashes (4). Studies have also found that such ingredients can lead to serious respiratory tract problems, thereby increasing the risk of developing asthma (5). The heat generated due to flat ironing during the procedure may also damage your hair in the long run.
What are Hair Smoothing Creams?
Hair smoothing creams are professional-grade smoothing products available on the market in the form of cream or gel or serum. They do not use formaldehyde-releasers as their primary ingredients. Moreover, they cut down on the time and expenses needed for a salon visit. Hence, they can help you tame your frizz and add loads of moisture to your hair without causing any serious damage to it. Smoothing creams help in strengthening and hydrating your hair while also leaving them glossy and lustrous. They do not weigh down the hair. Instead, they make you look like you are just out of the salon! The creams can be leave-in creams that can be used instead of a conditioner or wash off creams that are used as a mask.
10 Best Hair Smoothing Creams in India
Following are the best hair smoothing creams in India that can give you soft, silky hair at home:
1. L’oreal Professionnel Hair Spa Smoothing Creambath
The L’Oreal Professionnel Hair Spa Smoothing Creambath is an amazing spa alternative for dry hair. It protects the locks against heat and environmental damage and makes them more manageable.
- Enriched with water lily, glycerin smoothing actives, hydrating cationic agents, and purified water
- Tames thick, rebellious hair
- Hydrates and moisturizes stubborn frizz
- Provides intense nourishment
- Adds volume and shine
- Leaves hair soft and silky smooth
Price: Rs. 600 for 490 gm.
2. Tresemme Anti-Frizz Secret Smoothing Creme
The Tresemme Anti-Frizz Secret Smoothing Cream is a professional formula that beats dryness and locks in moisture to keep hair smooth and silky even during high humidity. It also eliminates the need to blow-dry the hair every day.
- Features a unique frizz defense complex
- Controls frizz and flyaways
- Makes hair soft and ultra-sleek
- Gives smoothness up to 5 days
- Does not weigh hair down
- Provides intense nourishment
- Adds a brilliant shine
- Protects from heat damage
- For everyday use
- Suitable for all hair types
Price: Rs. 554 for 113 gm.
3. Himalaya Herbals Protein Hair Cream
The Himalaya Herbals Protein Hair Cream is strengthening and smoothing cream primarily intended for dry and lifeless hair. Being full of natural goodness, the rich cream nourishes the tresses and makes them healthy.
- Natural ingredients like amla and chickpea
- Packed with proteins and antioxidants
- Strengthens and smoothens hair
- Extra nourishment for scalp and hair
- Leaves hair soft and shiny
- Best for dry, frizzy, and lifeless hair
- Reduces hair loss
- Promotes hair growth
- Safe for colored and permed hair
Price: Rs. 80 for 100 ml.
4. Aloe Veda Skin Essentials Silk & Keratin Hair Protein Cream
Give your hair a salon-like feel in easy go with the Aloe Veda Skin Essentials Silk & Keratin Hair Protein Cream. Its rich hair protein complex makes hair soft, smooth, and frizz-free so that it can be managed and styled easily.
- The rich hair protein complex provides nutrition and moisture
- All-natural ingredients like shea butter, aloe vera, and vitamin E
- Enriched with hydrolyzed keratin and hydrolyzed silk protein
- Soothes irritable scalp
- Reduces hair fall and stimulates hair growth
- Repairs damaged hair through cell detoxification
- Makes hair stronger, softer, and shinier
- Protects against UV, heat, and chlorine damage
- Suits all hair types including colored and treated hair
Price: Rs. 350 for 100 gm.
5. The Nature’s Co. Atmospure Tea Tree Hair Nourishing Cream
The Nature’s Co. Atmospure Tea Tree Hair Nourishing Cream is a leave-in smoothing treatment offering nourishing goodness of tea tree oil. It keeps the scalp healthy and moisturizes the hair to give it a smooth and radiant look.
- Combines tea tree oil, lemon oil, and vegetable glycerin
- Heals and prevents scalp infections
- Keeps dandruff away
- Revitalizes scalp and hair
- Adds intense moisture to the hair shafts
- Boosts softness and smoothness
- Makes hair shiny and bouncy
- Ideal for all hair types
Price: Rs. 525 for 125 ml.
6. Marc Anthony True Professional Bye Bye Frizz Keratin Smoothing Blow Dry Cream
While looking for a perfect blowout, the Marc Anthony True Professional’s Bye Bye Frizz Sulfate Free Keratin Smoothing Blow Dry Cream is the answer. It smoothes out curly and frizzy hair to give it a sleek and polished finish.
- Formulated with amino acid blend, K-silk complex, and vitamin E
- Blocks humidity for ultimate frizz-control
- Locks in moisture for a sleek and polished finish
- Protects against damage
- Improves health and texture of hair
- Adds shine to dull and lifeless hair
- Does not weigh hair down
- Gives a perfect blowout every time
- Best for chronically dry and frizzy hair
- Free from sulfates, parabens, and phthalates
Price: Rs. 1,249 for 140 ml.
7. Sebastian Professional Taming Elixir Weightless Smoothing Creme Serum
The Sebastian Professional Taming Elixir Weightless Smoothing Creme Serum is a weightless and mild frizz-tamer. It not only beautifully smoothes out the locks but also makes them touchably soft.
- Weightless formula with frizz-taming and soothing qualities
- Infused with avocado oil
- Hydrates scalp and hair
- Offers maximum frizz control
- Boosts softness and radiance
- Adds a natural definition to hair
- Provides thermal protection
- Ideal for blow-drying
- Suitable for frizzy and coarse hair
Price: Rs. 1,800 for 140 ml.
8. L’Oreal Paris Professionnel Tecni Art Liss Control Smooth Gel-Cream
L’Oreal’s Paris Professionnel Tecni Art Liss Control Smooth Gel Cream is the best choice for making unruly hair smooth and defined. It also provides heat and humidity protection to make your hair look gorgeous 24 hours.
- Unique gel-cream formula
- Smooth and frizz control
- 24hr anti-humidity protection
- UV filter for thermal protection
- Ideal for unruly hair
- Defines curls and adds volume
- Makes hair more manageable
Price: Rs. 575 for 150 ml.
9. Marc Anthony True Professional Nourishing Argan Oil 3 Day Smooth Perfect Blow Dry Smoothing Cream
The Marc Anthony True Professional Nourishing Argan Oil 3 Day Smooth Perfect Blow Dry Smoothing Cream is a luxurious formulation that controls frizz and keeps hair smooth for up to 3 days. It softens, smoothens, and straightens hair for a manageable and stylish look.
- Enriched with Moroccan argan oil, keratin protein, and vitamin E
- Luxurious and ultra-lightweight cream
- Controls frizz and hydration for up to 3 days
- Makes hair smoother and straighter
- Repairs hair damage
- Protects against heat damage
- Adds a reflective shine to hair
- Free from sulfates, SLS, parabens, and phthalates
- Suitable for both chemical- and color-treated hair
- Smooths frizzy hair and adds shine
- Works from the first use
Price: Rs, 1,299 for 200 ml.
10. Matrix Style Link Smooth Setter Smoothing Cream
Make your hair look silky smooth and amazingly glossy with the Matrix Style Link Smooth Setter Smoothing Cream. It strengthens hair, protects it from damage, and smoothens dry ends without causing any greasiness.
- Lightweight smoothing formula
- Offers long-lasting frizz control
- Makes hair look natural yet reflective
- Gives it a beautiful satin finish
- Strengthens hair shafts
- Eliminates split ends
- Acts as a blow-dry cream
- Suitable for wavy, curly, and straight hair
Price: Rs. 1,335 for 11 8 ml.
Hair smoothing creams make hair softer, smoother, and shinier sans the damage caused by salon hair smoothing treatments. Best hair smoothing creams available in the market also improve the overall health and texture of hair by protecting it from damage, making it stronger, and controlling frizz.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which is Better for Hair – Keratin or Smoothening?
The permanent technique of keratin or hair straightening treatment works by breaking the bonds in the hair completely and rebuilding them. This causes extreme damage to the hair shafts, which cannot be repaired easily. On the other hand, hair smoothing adds shine and softness to the hair while restructuring its bonds temporarily. It is less damaging and can be done on bleached, permanently dyed, and relaxed hair too.
How to Maintain Smoothened Hair?
Proper maintenance of smoothened hair is essential to keep it in shape. Massage your scalp and hair with coconut oil, sunflower oil, or mineral oils regularly to reduce protein loss (6). Make sure that your hair care products are all silicone-based as they will protect your hair from abrasive actions and rejuvenate it. Also, try to limit the use of heat styling tools as much as possible.
How to Apply Hair Smoothing Creams?
Put a dime-sized amount of cream in your palm and emulsify it by rubbing your hands together. Apply it uniformly to your towel-dried hair and comb thoroughly.
- “6 Surprising Causes of Frizzy Hair“, healthline.com
- “What You Need to Know About Hair Smoothing Treatments?“, WebMD.com
- “Hair Cosmetics: An Overview“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Hair Smoothing Treatments: Perceptions and Wrong Practices Among Females in Saudi Arabia“, JDDSJournal.org
- “Asthma from Hair Straightening Treatment Containing Formaldehyde: Two Cases and A Review of the Literature“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Effect of Mineral Oil, Sunflower Oil, and Coconut Oil on Prevention of Hair Damage“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov