Dark patches, scar marks, and blemishes on your face can ruin your desire to look flawlessly beautiful. If you want to cover up these pigmentations and spots evenly, concealer is the product for you to try out. It smoothly blends with your skin and adds radiance to your face. As a result, the concealer has become a must-have product in makeup essentials. Breakouts, birthmarks, freckles, scars, pimples, skin patches, tired eyes can all be hidden by concealers. There are various types of concealers available in the market to select from as per your skin tone, requirement, and budget.
What Causes Dark Circles
1. There are multiple reasons for dark circles to appear. Mostly, they appear when you are tired and have not taken enough rest (1). In addition, they can be a result of poor sleeping patterns.
2. Excessive use of screens can also bring those dark circles. It can be a result of excessive pigmentation in your eye area. Improper diet and stress can also cause dark circles.
3. Sun exposure produces melanin -the pigment that gives skin its color. Excessive production of melanin in the eye area causes dark circles. Aging and allergies may also result in the appearance of a shady area under the eye.
A dark circle can be an indicator of dehydration as well. Water consumption should be increased to minimize dark circles. Dark circles may develop due to genetic factors.
4. The dark circles under your eyes can be due to puffy eyes. Fluid can build up under your eyes and makes them look puffy (2). This might also happen with age or due to sleep deprivation. In addition, skin becomes thinner with age as it loses collagen and its elasticity.
Homemade Concealers- How to make your own concealer?
What can be better than having a natural concealer, which is also homemade? These formulas not only conceal but also heal you under the eye area to hide those dark circles.
- Add 3 tsp argan oil, 1 tsp shea butter, 1 tsp aloe vera gel, and ½ tsp emulsifying wax in a double boiler.
- Remove the heat after they are properly mixed.
- For color, add organic 1/4th to ½ tsp cocoa powder and ½ tsp kaolin or earth clay.
- Add 2 tsp zinc oxide to the mixture.
- Store in an applicator bottle. (3)
Argan oil is rich in antioxidants and has a healing effect on the skin. Shea butter boosts collagen production. Aloe vera provides the perfect texture through its vitamin A, C, and E. Zinc oxide helps in healing from sun exposure and provides moisture to the skin.
Different forms of concealer
Concealers are available in different forms and types according to the demand and needs of customers. Everyone has a different preference and comfort level according to their skin type and method of application.
1. Stick Concealer
It works best to cover spots and marks, pimples, and any redness. People who like heavy coverage mostly opt for this form of concealer. Some special formulas are available in this form which hides the blemishes and gives the skin a lighter appearance.
2. Pencil Concealer
This type of concealer is most widely used for contouring. This concealer has a matte look. It functions the same way as stick concealer does. It hides pimples and blemishes quite well.
3. Cream Concealer
The creamy formula has a soothing and moisturizing effect on the skin. It is perfect for dry and dehydrated skin. It covers all the uneven skin patches, dark spots, any acne marks, active acne, dark circles, and blemishes.
4. Liquid Concealer
The form of concealer is very light and has a natural look. It hides signs of aging, freckles, under-eye darkness and gives the skin an even-toned look. In addition, it is not heavy on the skin as it does not sink in the pores. This concealer works best among all types of concealer if it is applied with powder and puffs.
Also Read – Home Remedies for Dark Circles under the eyes
Best Concealers to Hide Your Facial Imperfections
Here we guide you with information about some of the best concealers that are excellently capable of hiding your dark circles.
1. L’Oréal Paris True Match Concealer
It is available in three amazing shades, light-medium and deep medium. This liquid concealer comes with a brush for smooth application. It helps blend the product properly with your skin. In addition, it gives you flawless and oil-free coverage for up to 6-7 hours.
Price: $ 8.49 for 0.17 fl oz
2. Colorbar Full Cover Makeup Stick with SPF 30
This concealer stick from Colorbar is formulated in three diverse shades, i.e., natural, beige, and ivory tones, to cover up dark circles effectively. It has a creamy texture that makes your skin soft and smooth instantly. In addition, sun protection SPF 30 is added to provide extra protection from harmful UV rays.
Price: $25 for 9g
3. Rimmel London Stay Matte Dual Action Concealer in 410 Shade
Matte Dual Action Concealer from Rimmel London is specially designed for skin with blemishes and dark circles. It not only hides the unwanted marks on your skin but also prevents the skin from getting clogged. In addition, it has an even matte finish which makes your skin look naturally beautiful. You can find this concealer in four amazing shades such as beige and ivory.
Price: $4.97 for 0.05 fl oz
4. Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer
For those looking for a budget-friendly concealer to hide skin blemishes, this product from Maybelline is the perfect choice to bank on. It comes with SPF 20 and available in two shades (radiance and fawn). In addition, it is formulated with mineral clay that works wonders on sweaty summer days.
Price: $9.99 for 10 g
5. Revlon Photo Ready Concealer
You can get your desired flawless look with Revlon Photo Ready Concealer. It is made with high-definition technology that may reflect, cover, and blur the unwanted pigmentation on your face. In addition, it effectively hides blemishes and dark circles.
Price: $10.49 for 0.16 oz
6. Makeup Revolution Conceal and Define
It is a mid-range product with a creamy formula that covers discolorations and has a brightening effect. It is light on the skin and adds a fine, natural glow to the skin. The pigmentation is intense; hence can be used as a contouring product. The applicator is gentle and merges the product well with the skin. It does not settle inside the pores. There is a wide range of shades available, ranging from undertones to medium and dark. Apply a few drops on specific areas like blemishes or marks. For a perfect look, puff matting powder afterward.
Price: $8.29 for 0.4 Pounds
7. NARS-Radiant Creamy Concealer
The NARS concealer has a coverage that is super smooth and neat. It hides all imperfections as if they were never before. The product finishing is extremely natural and adds a bright look to the skin. The formulation of this concealer not only conceals but also heals and provides hydration and reduces redness. Through its hydrating formula, it makes the skin look healthier from within. The product is expensive, but it is worth it. Shades are Tiramisu, Ginger, Vanilla, and Biscuit and all of the shades are available in two sizes.
Price: $32 for 0.22 Oz
8. NYX HD Photogenic Concealer
NYX HD Photogenic Concealer covers all sorts of discolorations, fine lines, and blemishes making the skin look young and neat. The formula is not heavy and mixes with the skin well. The result is natural, beautiful, youthful-looking skin. It is best applied to the makeup and can be blended well with the tips of your fingers. Multiple shades are available, and it also comes in the form of correctors. Shades include Nutmeg, Cappuccino, and Caramel. It has tube packaging much like that of a gloss.
Price: $6 for Oz
9. ELF Beautifully Bare Lightweight Concealer Stick
For girls who have relatively clear skin with a minimum requirement to conceal undesired spots on the skin, this concealer is for them. It gives a balanced even tone look and is light on the skin. It almost gives the look of no makeup. Enriched with kaolin clay and vitamin E, it heals the skin from within and makes it look healthier. The product comes in 4 shades, and they are very different from each other. This stick concealer comes with classic packaging.
Price: $5.87 for 0.6 Oz
10. Dermablend Cover Care Concealer
It is a multi-use concealer that can be used to hide dark circles. It covers makeup to hide any blemishes, acne scars, or redness. It has a high coverage matte finish and is perfect for light to dark skin tone beauties. The best thing about this concealer is that it is waterproof. It contains glycerin that provides 24 hours hydration and wearability. This cruelty-free product is available in 16 shades. The best applicator for this fragrance-free concealer is a wand. After applying, tap it with fingers, brush, or sponge and then blend to smooth and even out the skin tone.
Price: $28.00 for 10 ml
How to Apply Concealer on Face?
Here are few steps that you must follow to apply a concealer under the eyes.
- Start with applying a hydrating cream with your ring finger. Then, lightly massage until it is absorbed.
- Take 2 drops of primer and apply it on your eyelid and under the eyes.
- If you have dark circles, then apply an orange color corrector and blend it nicely.
- Now add concealer under your eyes. Apply it closer to the lashes and also to the inner corner of the eyes.
- Gently dab the concealer with your brush or fingers. Don’t rub it.
Tips to Use Concealer
- If you have severe dark circles, then choose a stick concealer.
- Before applying concealer, blend your foundation.
- Apply a layer of hydrating cream before applying a concealer.
If dark circles are giving you sleepless nights, concealers may come to your rescue. Although the market is flooded with thousands of options, choose a concealer based on your budget, requirement and skin tone. Look for a concealer that is half a shade lighter than your foundation shade for best results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is concealer a must-have?
Most probably yes. It gives your skin an even-toned appearance. Concealer does add an elite and natural finish to your makeup, giving it a finer look.
What should shade for a concealer be used?
The shade totally depends on what you want to achieve or conceal. For dark circles, look for a concealer that is half a shade lighter than your foundation shade.
Is concealer the same thing as the foundation?
No, concealer has a different formula than foundations. It is usually thicker in consistency and more pigmented than foundations.
- “Natural Concealer & Highlighter Recipe” – wellnessmama.com
- “What Causes Dark Circles Under Your Eyes?” – healthline.com
- “Dark circles under eyes” – mayoclinic.org