If you have dry skin, you may not suffer the excessive buildup of oil and sebum in the pores as someone with oily skin does. But you may experience constant dryness, irritation, and possible flaking of the skin. Conditions that have to be managed efficiently to prevent further skin damage.
With dry skin, you may need to maintain a routine, one that removes impurities and dirt from your skin. This routine also has to restore your skin moisture and keep your skin hydrated. This means your skin will be cleansed without stripping it of its natural oil, a conscious effort to maintain skin moisture. A task that may be completed using skin cleansers – but only the appropriate ones for dry skin. In this article, we explore dry skincare routines and top cleansers to use.
Your skin may be referred to as being dry if it lacks moisture in its outer layer. If not properly managed, this lack of moisture may result in skin scales, cracks, and irritation (1). Dry skin is also sensitive and prone to itchiness, rashes, skin redness, and breakouts.
What Causes Dry Skin?
Dry skin may be a result of
- Hereditary and genetic factors
- Age progression
- Regular smoking
- Medical conditions such as thyroid diseases
- Poor skincare habits
- Use of harsh alcohol-based products
- Environmental factors (2)
Routine Hacks for Dry Skin
- Exfoliate your skin weekly. Exfoliation rids your skin needs of accumulated bacteria, dirt, and dead skin cells.
- Use a soothing cleanser. There are specific cleansers created for dry skin; they contain hydrating and moisturizing agents that soothe even the most hypersensitive skin.
- Avoid hot water baths. Hot water may strip your skin of its essential oils; instead, use lukewarm water for your baths.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine.
- Apply moisturizers generously. Use them daily – morning and night, and apply to damp skin.
- Use skincare products that contain a great ratio of gentle hydrators. Some of these hydrators include hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and aloe vera.
- Use a lip moisturizer.
- Layer your skin with facial oil and moisturizer, not one or the other, but both. Use the facial oil first, and follow with the moisturizer (3).
- Wear more clothes made of cotton and other natural fibers.
How to Use a Skin Cleanser
When cleansing your skin, some tips make the activity more beneficial and yield the expected result.
- Apply the cleanser to your skin and massage it into your face in gentle circular motions. You may focus on your jaws, nose, and forehead.
- Let the cleanser stay for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Get a warm piece of cloth or a clean cotton ball soaked in warm water. This is necessary as warm water opens up your skin pores and allows for better cleansing.
- Using this warm cotton ball, wipe away the cleanser in gentle upward strokes. The accumulated dirt will leave your skin as you do this.
- Rinse your face with clean water.
- Apply skin moisturizer.
The ideal cleanser for dry skin will gently cleanse the skin of dirt and impurities while protecting its natural oils. Here we bring you the top 24 cleansers for dry skin.
24 Top Skin Cleansers For Dry Skin
1. Shani Darden Cleansing Serum
This gentle cleanser is made from key ingredients sodium hyaluronic acid, oat bran extracts, and olive extracts. Its effect is gentle and will leave your skin fresh. The key ingredients perform specific functions. Hyaluronic acid – helps the skin attract and retain moisture. Oat bran extract – restores skin moisture. Olive extract – soothes and calms the skin.
When applied to the skin, the cleanser generates a soft lather that gently breaks down excess skin oil, removes makeup and accumulated impurities. It does this while protecting the skin’s natural oils and barrier.
Price – USD 38 for 150 ml
2. Aquation Gentle Moisturizing Cleanser
This cleanser contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid as key ingredients.
- It hydrates and softens the skin.
- Gently washes away dirt, oil, and makeup from the skin
- It cleanses without stripping the skin of its natural oils
Price – USD 9.98 for 16 oz
3. Jovees Citrus Cleansing Milk
- Cleanse the skin
- Retain skin moisture
- Give a clear matte finished look
- Reduce skin pigmentation
- Reduce inflammation
- Clear dark spots
- Reduce skin redness
- Keep the skin moisturized.
Price – USD 14.95 for 200 ml
4. Nolaskinsentials Hyaluronic Aloe Cleanser
This is a handcrafted cleanser. Its key ingredients include hyaluronic acid, coconut milk, mango butter, and aloe vera. These ingredients ensure the cleanser performs efficiently in hydrating and soothing the most sensitive skin types.
Price – USD 29.99 for 4 Oz
5. Laneige Cream Skin Milk Oil Cleanser
This cleanser contains milk oil and white leaf tea water as its key ingredients. When applied to the skin, it may provide soothing hydration and strengthen skin moisture barriers.
Price – USD 35 for 200 ml
6. Neutrogena Ultra-gentle Hydrating Cleanser
This cleanser is fragrance-free and may be used on even the most sensitive skin.
Price – USD 9.99 for 354 ml
7. Earth To Skin Honey Manuka Cleanser Netoyyant
It contains rich quantities of honey, glycerine, sugar, and castor oil. These ingredients serve in their natural capacities as anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory compounds. In addition, they reduce skin redness and swelling and also help increase skin moisture levels.
Price – USD 11.99 for 140 ml
8. Garnier Skin Active Gentle Sulfate-free Cleanser
This cleanser may soothe the most sensitive skin types. It is rich in glycerin, has no sulfates, no alcohol, no fragrance, no parabens, no oil, and soap. It is a gentle, hydrating, and lightweight skin formula.
Price – USD 11.99 for 13.5 Oz
9. Mad Hippie Cream Cleanser
The key ingredients in this cleanser include
- Organic jojoba oil
- Orchid extract
- Organic macadamia
- Sesame oil
- Sodium hyaluronic acid
- Algae extract
- Green tea, and
- Shea butter
Price – USD 15.99 for 118 ml
10. Acure Seriously Soothing Cleansing Cream
The Acure cleanser is a skin-soothing blend of peony extracts, chamomile, calendula, sunflower, amino acids, and organic argan oil. The properties of these rich ingredients help cleanse and hydrate your skin, leaving it calm and replenished.
Price – USD 9.99 for 118 ml
11. Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Cleanser
This cleanser by dermalogica contains
- Citrus oil
- Murumuru seed butter
- Phytoactive from coconut oil extract
- Palmarosa, gentle hydrators
It has an integration of the bio-replenish complex. This complex may help remove skin impurities while actively offering nourishment to the skin. The nourishment ensures minimum damage to vital skin proteins and lipids.
Price – USD 39 for 5.1 Oz
12. Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser Lotion
This cleanser is hypoallergenic and suitable for even hypersensitive skin. It is formulated with minimal ingredients for maximum skin tolerance. It cleanses the skin of oil, makeup products, and impurities. Most importantly, this gentle no-rinse cleanser does not disrupt the skin’s delicate moisture balance.
Price – USD 24 for 6.7 Oz
13. DHC Deep Cleansing Oil
Price – USD 28 for 6.7 fl Oz
14. Erin’s Face Gentle Milk Cleanser
This non-foaming milk cleanser contains
- Organic lavender
- Chamomile water
- Organic orange
- Cranberry – exfoliates without drying out the skin
- Organic aloe vera – hydrates the skin
- Goat milk – moisturizes and soothes skin irritation and inflammation.
Price – USD 35 for 8 Oz
15. La Rouche Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Facial Cleanser
It contains niacinamide, ceramides, and glycerin. It cleanses the skin, gently removing all skin impurities while maintaining the skin moisture barrier.
Price – USD 14.99 for 400 ml
16. Cerave Hydrating Cream-to-foam Cleanser
This cleanser contains amino acids, ceramides, and hyaluronic acids, performing cleansing, hydrating, and foaming actions. When applied to the skin, its mechanism of action begins as a cream, then when slathered with water, transforms to a soft foam. The soft foam effectively removes dirt and makeup from the skin without stripping the natural moisture. As a result, this fragrance-free formula may be used even on the most sensitive skin.
Price – USD 17.38 for 19 Oz
17. Skinceuticals Gentle Cleanser
This is a non-foaming gentle cleanser containing emollient-rich surfactant, glycerin, and orange oil. It was designed to efficiently remove face makeup and impurities without residues.
Price – USD 35 for 12 Fl Oz
18. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser
This foaming cleanser is made of squalane, vitamin E, apricot kernel oil, and avocado oil as key ingredients. It is specially formulated to gently remove dirt, oil, and debris without over-drying or stripping the skin.
Price – USD 22 for 5 Oz
19. Holifrog Tashmoo Water Lily Nourishing Milky Wash
This ultra-soothing and hydrating cleanser contains
- Water lily roots
- Lotus flower
- 14 amino acids
- Blue-green algae
- Panthenol (Vitamin b-5)
- Apricot kernel oil
- Sunflower seed oil
- Vitamin E, and
- Aloe vera.
Price – USD 38 for 5 fl Oz
20. Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm
This cleanser performs specific functions, which include
- Deep cleansing of the skin. Dissolves makeup, dirt, and grime on the face
- Soften and nourish the skin
- Improves skin complexion
- The key ingredients include Padina Pavonica, starflower oil, and elderberry oil.
Price – USD 64 for 3.7 Oz
21. Garnier Skin Active Soothing Cleansing Milk
This foaming cleanser is heavily infused with rosewater and acts gently to calm and cleanse the skin. Its paraben-sulfate- silicone and dye-free properties ensure it is a safe and soothing option for even the most hypersensitive and irritated skin.
Price – USD 8.99 for 6.7 ml Oz
22. Cerave Hydrating Face Cleanser
This fragrance-free, non-foaming face cleanser performs primary functions, which include
- Restoring skin natural protection
- Hydrating the skin
- Moisturizing the skin
- Cleansing and refreshing the skin
Price – USD 14.64 for 16 ml Oz
23. The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Foam Cleanser
This cleanser from Face Shop is enriched with a natural rice water solution, Moringa Oil, and Soapwort. These ingredients help to clear, brighten, and even out skin complexion. It may be used on the most sensitive skin.
Price – USD 200 for 300 ml
24. Clinique Take the day off Cleansing Balm
This cleanser is dermatologically recommended. It gently cleanses the skin leaving it clean and moisturized.
Price – USD 31 for 125 ml
Dry skin is skin that lacks moisture in its outer layer. This lack of moisture if not properly managed may result in scales, cracks, and irritation. Dry skin may be sensitive and is usually prone to itchiness, rashes, and skin redness, and breakouts. To take care of this, you may need to use cleansers that soothes your skin rather than strip it. The ideal cleanser for dry skin will gently cleanse the skin of dirt and impurities while protecting its natural oils. Some key ingredients you may look out for in your next cleanser includes Citrus oils, avocado oils, vitamin E, glycerin, and hyaluronic acid. Also, avoid cleansers with sulfates.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you take fruits to improve dry skin?
What you consume has a significant effect on your skin. Taking fruits such as avocado may help improve dry skin. Include Vitamin-C-rich fruits in your daily diet.
Should you use a cleanser daily on your skin?
Yes, you may use a skin cleanser on your skin twice daily, morning and night. A good cleanser removes dirt, makeup from the skin and supplies moisturizer.
- “Dry Skin” – medicinenet.com
- “Skin Care for Dry Skin” – medicinenet.com
- “14 Skin Care Rules for Dry Skin Types” – lorealparisusa.com