“Eyes frame the face, and brows frame the eyes.” So, it is critical to have a smart eyebrow grooming strategy to amp up the brow game. While bolder brows are essential to a perfect brow grooming strategy, eyebrow tinting is very much in fashion these days. So, whether your motto is to stay looking good in between two eyebrow shaping sessions or you want to convert your flat, thin brows into the arches of your dreams, tinting can always come to your rescue. We have created all the necessary information related to eyebrow tinting right here, exclusively for you.
What Is Eyebrow Tinting?
Eyebrow tinting is the practice of coloring eyebrow hairs with a semi-permanent vegetable or chemical dye (specifically formulated for this purpose). It is a simple process of altering or enhancing the natural color of eyebrows to improve their shape and thickness. You can opt for a professional service at any spa/salon or at home by purchasing a branded eyebrow tinting kit. It takes no longer than 30 minutes, and the results last between 4 and 6 weeks.
Why Should You Tint Your Brows?
Now, the question is, why should we consider tinting our natural eyebrows? How could it benefit us? Does it help in structuring our face? Well, here are the answers:
1. Not everyone is blessed with thick, dark, bold eyebrows. Some even have pale, translucent hairs on their brows, which make them appear thin and flat. One might also end up losing her brow hair just by overplucking. Tinting is a lifesaver for such people. Coloring the eyebrows can give their arches a thicker, fuller, and firmer look naturally.
2. Tinting gives a beautiful color payoff, which can influence our overall look to a great extent. For example, women with light-colored eyes can define their peeps by tinting their brows darker. On the other hand, tinting the brows lighter can enhance the beauty of a dark-skinned beauty significantly.
3. Regarding adding more definition to the facial structure, brow tinting is an excellent choice. It makes the brows and eyes more pronounced, creating substantial facial symmetry.
4. If you have changed or are planning to change your hair color drastically, you may like to rethink your eyebrow color. Though your brow color doesn’t need to be perfectly matched with your hair color, tinting them will give you a more natural look.
5. Tinting can be a good option if your brow hairs have started showing signs of aging and you seek a way to conceal it. Instead of plucking the gray hairs, color your brows; those troubled hairs will not look gray anymore.
It is a simple, easy, and convenient technique that gives a well-groomed look instantly sans makeup.
Eyebrow Tinting – A Beginner’s Guide
If you are ready to give DIY eyebrow tinting a shot, here is a simple step-by-step tutorial for you:
1. Cleanse your eyebrows with a good makeup remover to remove dirt, dust, and makeup. Then, let it air dry thoroughly.
2. Brush your brows with a spoolie to arrange the hair nicely.
3. Apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly around the brows so that you do not end up staining the skin accidentally.
4. Go through the user manual that has come with your eyebrow tinting kit, and then mix the dye and the developer according to the instructions provided. It should form a thick, creamy, and sticky paste.
5. Apply the paste to one of your eyebrows with the help of the applicator available in your kit. You can also use a spoolie in case it gives you more control. Start right from the denser part of the brow at the front and gradually go through to the outer thinner edge.
6. Repeat the step for the other eyebrow as well.
7. Leave the dye for 5 to 10 minutes (based on your preference of color and intensity) on each of your eyebrows.
8. Wipe it off your brows using a wet paper towel or cotton swab. Then, wash your face with plain water to eliminate excess dye (if any).
How Do You Pick The Right Shade For Brow Tinting?
Before getting your eyebrows tinted, take enough time to choose the right shade that would go well with your skin tone and present hair color. The most popular choices are dark brown, black, taupe, chestnut, blonde, and gray. However, go only one or two shades darker or lighter than your natural brow color instead of going too dark or too light.
Pro Tips For Getting Your Brows Tinted Right
Here are some important professional tips to ensure the right way of tinting your brows:
1. Perform a Patch Test:
Before tinting your eyebrows, it’s crucial to conduct a patch test. This involves applying a small amount of the mixture on your skin to check for allergies and reactions. This step helps prevent adverse effects.
2. Equal Processing Time:
Give both eyebrows equal time for processing to achieve perfectly matching tinted shades. Use a timer to keep track and ensure even results.
3. Shape and Carve Before Tinting:
Before tinting, make sure to carve and shape your eyebrows properly. This step is essential to achieve the expected results and enhance the overall appearance.
4. Use Genuine Tinting Kits:
Ensure that the tinting kits you use are authentic. Fake kits may cause damage to your eyebrows instead of enhancing their beauty. Choosing original products is key to a successful tinting experience.
How To Keep Eyebrow Tint For Longer?
The eyebrow tinting process doesn’t just end after applying the mixture. Maintaining the tinted eyebrows is vital to ensure the brows remain beautiful and perfect for a longer duration. Some of the ways to increase the lifespan of eyebrow tints include –
1. By hiring a professional, you can expect a perfect eyebrow tint finish, which will last longer.
2. Avoid continuous combing of the brows. It is advisable to comb the tinted brows only when necessary. Overcoming reduces the effect of the tint on the brows.
3. Avoid using chemical-based cleansers on the tinted brows. Cleansers contain harmful chemicals that might reduce the effect of the tint on the brows, decreasing its last duration.
Cost of Eyebrow Tinting
Eyebrow tinting is presumed to be very expensive, especially when it comes to employing the services of a professional. Still, the truth is that eyebrow tinting is not as costly as people presume.
The likely prices for getting an eyebrow tinting done range between $20 to $50, while an eyebrow tinting kit costs $14 – $25.
Also Read – How to Fix 8 Most Common Eyebrow Issues Easily
Side Effects of Eyebrow Tinting
According to the American Academy of Opthalmology, one of its journals titled Know the risk of eyebrow and eyelash enhancement, identified the following as risks that tend to occur during the process of eyebrow tinting. (1)
1. Burning Eyes – This occurs majorly when a fraction of the dye comes in contact with the eyes, resulting in a burning sensation. Ensure the mixture is thick and apply carefully to avoid eye contact.
2. Skin Infection- The tint mixture might cause skin rashes if the body finds the mixture irritant, causing scratching of the brow surface and its environs.
3. Allergies – If the body is allergic to one or more chemical compositions of the dye mixture, it will most likely trigger allergic reactions.
How To Remove Eyebrow Tint
If you get tired of your eyebrow tint and decide to remove them, there is no reason to worry. The removal of the tint only involves the use of cotton wool and an oily makeup remover. First, apply the oily makeup remover on the tinted eyebrows using the cotton wool, and repeat the same process till the tint becomes lighter.
Eyebrow tinting is a practice of coloring eyebrow hairs with a semi-permanent vegetable or chemical dye. It can dramatically enhance the look by transforming a disappearing eyebrow into a thick, dark, bold eyebrow. The process of applying eyebrow tint is not tricky to master. It is important to note that eyebrow tinting comes with few side effects and may cause allergies, skin irritation, and burning eyes. Therefore, it is recommended to do a patch test before applying any eyebrow tint.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does an eyebrow tint last?
A temporary eyebrow tint may last the whole day, but for a semi-permanent dye, may last for three to four weeks.
Does eyebrow tint hurt?
Eyebrow tint may hurt if done the wrong way. It is advisable to read through the guidelines before carrying out the process. If done the right way, it will not hurt.
Why is brow tinting banned in certain countries?
Eyebrow tinting is banned in certain countries because of the risk associated with it. Therefore, buying only the standard and recommended eyebrow tint toolkit is essential.
Are eyebrow tints worth it?
Tinting eyebrows has its benefits and risks. Tinting eyebrows may be good for you to achieve specific eyebrow goals. However, it might cause harmful effects if you don’t carry out the process as per the guidelines.
How long do you leave your eyebrow tint on?
After the tinting process, one may leave the eyebrow tint for 10-12 hours before attempting to wash it off.
Can you get your eyebrows permanently dyed?
It may be impossible to permanently dye an eyebrow because the tint will eventually wear off. Still, it is possible to dye the eyebrows semi-permanently, lasting 3-4 weeks.
What is the best permanent eyebrow tint kit?
It is advisable to check online for the most suitable eyebrow tint kit for your eyebrows, as it might vary based on what you expect to achieve from brow tinting.
How do I prepare my eyebrows for tinting?
It is advisable to wash them and then apply Vaseline around the brows to prevent stains. With this, your eyebrows are ready for tinting.