You’re late for an outing and have zero time to load on layers of foundation, concealer, setting powder, let alone eyeshadow! So what could help you make those tired eyes look awake and ready for the day? Mascara it is. Roll the mascara wand on those droopy lashes for a few seconds, and boom! Your eyes just got the makeover they needed.
If there is a makeup product whose function is often underrated, it has got to be mascara. Sometimes you don’t need the sharp-as-a-knife winged liner or shimmery eyeshadows to make the eyes pop. Instead, one swipe of a good mascara and your eyes instantly look bright enough to convince the world that you’re wide awake, even if you’re dead tired inside!
Choosing the right mascara can prove to be a heinous task considering the plethora of choices available today. Fret not because we have compiled a crisp list of the best mascaras you can find – including high-end, affordable, daily wear, and waterproof.
Benefits of using a mascara
Volumizing, lengthening, lifting, curling – a good mascara can do more than what meets the eye. But if you’re still in a fog and are not sure whether mascara will benefit you, let’s look at what more mascaras can do for your eyes.
- Mascaras can thicken the lashes to give the eyes a fuller appearance
- They darken the lash line making the eyes look more prominent
- Adding a coat of mascara to the lashes provides more definition to the eyes
- In case of drooping eyelashes, mascaras help in lifting and placing them upright
- By lifting the eyelashes, mascaras offer the illusion of wider eyes
Having said all this, we must admit, not all mascaras perform the same or offer the same benefits. Some mascaras focus on lengthening the lashes, while others provide waterproof formulas. Some mascaras promise longevity, while others aim at all-rounder performance.
Also Read – 7 Worst Mascara Mistakes That Most of Us Make
Types of mascaras
If you thought mascaras are just a wand-bearing makeup product, well, that is partially true. But the other side of the story involves identifying one mascara type from the other. So let us simplify this for you by delving into the types of mascaras commonly found in the market.
This type of mascara intends to build the intensity of your lashes with every coat. They are suitable for drooping or straight eyelashes. The formula of these mascaras is usually based on emollients that help bring a definition to the curliness of the lashes.
These mascaras do as their name suggests. They add length to the lashes and can make the smallest of lashes look longer. These mascaras are suitable for those whose lashes are short or face downwards. They usually contain synthetic fibers that get attached to the lashes to give an extended appearance.
This type of mascara is suitable for those who have sparse spaces in their lash line. They are designed to reach the roots of each hair in the lash line to coat them and give them a fuller look. The formula of these mascaras is often based on silicone to enhance the volume of the lashes.
For those who want longevity, waterproof mascaras are the best. They work great in all weather conditions and can last on the lashes for a long time. In addition, these mascaras are formulated with waxes that resist water, thus making the mascara long-lasting. Some mascaras may not be waterproof but water-resistant, meaning they are permeable to air and water but provide decent longevity.
How to select the right mascara?
Some mascaras come with dual wands – one for the upper lash line and the lower lash line. Others are primer-infused to increase the longevity of the product. Choose one that fits your preferences because when it comes to choices, mascaras have plenty to offer.
To ensure you don’t spend your money on a white elephant, we have put together a list of factors to consider while looking for the ideal mascara.
Wand shape and size
There are certain standard types of wands or brushes that mascaras come with. For example, a thick bristle wand helps thicken the lashes, while a straight wand coats individual lashes separately. Wands can also be curved, pine cone-shaped, and ball-tipped.
Another factor to consider when buying mascara is its formula. While the basic ingredients remain the same for all mascaras – wax, polymers, and pigments – there may be variations in the compositions depending on the purpose. As stated above, mascaras that provide longevity are mostly high on waxes.
Mascaras also contain alcohol, and the ones that claim to be quick-drying might have too much of it. Silicones are added to mascaras to make the formula easy to glide on the lashes. Lately, some brands have started adding nourishing ingredients like oils to their mascaras to give them a natural touch.
Also Read – How to apply mascara for the perfect look
There is a difference between waterproof and water-resistant mascaras. Waterproof ones are long-lasting but difficult to remove and often leave a dark ring around the eyes. On the other hand, water-resistant mascaras may not last a good cry or heavy rain but are easy to remove without hurting the eyes. If longevity doesn’t matter to you, choose a mascara that is easy to remove because you don’t want to be rubbing and tugging near the eyes.
For those with sensitive eyes, ingredients play a huge role in the products they choose for their eyes. When it comes to mascaras, people with sensitive eyes need to look for ingredients that may irritate the eyes, like fragrance, alcohol, etc. If you’re into vegan makeup, check for beeswax in the ingredients. Many waterproof mascaras are formulated with beeswax.
7 Best Mascaras Worth Trying
Listed below are our top recommendations for mascaras that can leave your favorite false eyelashes behind. Waterproof, long-lasting, curling, lengthening, volumizing – you name it, and we have it covered.
1. Clinique Chubby Lash Fattening Mascara
If you’re looking for a mascara that can boost the volume of your almost-not-there lashes, then Clinique’s Chubby Lash Fattening Mascara is meant for you. The name says it all. This mascara has a jumbo-size wand that never fails at transforming faint lashes to bold ones in just a few strokes.
- The oversized wand ensures to plump your lashes without making them droop down.
- The formula is deeply pigmented to emphasize the lashes
- It is ophthalmologist tested and allergy-tested
- The fragrance-free formula makes it suitable for those with sensitive eyes
- It has natural ingredients like olive fruit oil and olive oil
This paraben-free mascara is available in different colors like black, purple, green, and navy. The method of using is to start applying it from the roots of the lashes and wiggle your way to the tips. To build the intensity, repeat this step.
2. Covergirl Clump Crusher by LashBlast Water Resistant Mascara
Dread mascaras because of their clumpy effect? Then you’ve got to try The Clump Crusher mascara by Covergirl. It boasts of a revolutionary formula that gives 20 times more volume to your lashes without any clumping.
- It has a double-sided, curved brush that has straight bristles .to fit the curve of the eyes.
- The brush ensures each lash hair is coated with mascara from the root to the tip.
- This is a 100% vegan mascara formulated without phthalates, mineral oil, formaldehyde, talc, parabens, and sulfates.
- The water-resistant formula ensures the mascara lasts on the lashes all-day
This mascara is available in three shades – black, very black, and black-brown. Apply it using side 1 of the wand, starting from the base of the lashes and sweeping upwards. Then using side 2, start coating the base of the lashes and sweep upwards to gain an intensely dark finish.
3. Benefit Roller Lash Mascara
This curling mascara by Benefit aims at lifting and super-curling your lashes. The unique hook-n-roll brush ensures the product sticks to each lash hair. It grabs onto the lashes, separates them, lifts them, and curls them. Now that is one all-rounder mascara you ought to try!
- Benefit describes it as a roller for the lashes because of its unique design.
- The formula has a satin finish with a curve-setting ability that holds for 12 hours.
- This mascara comes in full size and mini size.
- It is water-resistant, which makes it easy to remove
The formula of this mascara contains lash-conditioning ingredients like provitamin B5 and serin. It comes in two shades – black and brown. To achieve those super-curled lashes, wiggle the wand of this mascara from the base to the tip of your lashes on the upper and lower lash lines.
Price: $26 for a full size
4. Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara
Loved by many, this mascara by Maybelline is popular for its fanning effect on the lashes. The price factor also poses an advantage because it is super-affordable. This mascara boasts of a ten-layer bristled wand – yes, 10 layers!
- It separates the lashes and adds volume without weighing the lashes down
- The ten layers of bristles on the wand add volume to the lashes without clumping
- The formula is liquid-like that doesn’t fail at coating the lashes from the roots to the tips
- This is a waterproof mascara that promises a long-lasting stay on the lashes
- It is available in two shades – very black and brownish-black
Being ophthalmologist-tested, Maybelline’s Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara is suitable for sensitive eyes. It is also recommended for those who wear contact lenses. To get the best out of this mascara, use the inner curve of the wand to coat the lashes from the roots to the tips.
5. Stila Huge Extreme Lash Mascara
If bold lashes are what you want, Stila’s Huge Extreme Lash Mascara could become your lashes’ best friend. This mascara tick marks the three B’s of lashes – big, bold, and black. Isn’t that what we all want for our lashes!? This mascara adds volume, curls, lengthens, lifts, and gives the lashes a coat of intense blackness.
- The flexible wand helps you build volume with each coat
- The formula is smooth and leaves no clumps, flakes, or fall out
- It has a curved brush that mimics the shape of the eye to grab each lash of hair
- Stila promises a long-wearing and smudge-proof experience with this mascara
This clinically-tested mascara will prove to be a winner for those who have sensitive eyes or wear contact lenses. It locks the moisture in your lashes, so they stay soft even after multiple coats. Starting from the base, sweep the wand upwards and outwards to see this mascara work magic on your lashes.
6. L’oréal Paris Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara
How could a list of top mascaras be complete without this cult-favorite from L’oréal? From the price point to the intensity, L’oréal Paris’ Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara is a must-have product to achieve luscious lashes. It is formulated to withstand clumping while softening the lashes.
- It can build the volume up to 5 times the natural thickness of your lashes
- It provides 2 times the intensity of the regular black shade variant
- The formula is designed to quickly thicken and give truly voluminous lashes in a single application
- The bristles on the brush coat each lash hair evenly and smoothly
- This mascara promises zero flaking, smudging, and clumping
This is a fragrance-free mascara and is ophthalmologist-tested, suitable for those who wear contact lenses or have sensitive eyes. To gain voluminous lashes, place the wand’s tip at the base of the lashes and sweep upwards.
7. Benefit They’re Real Beyond Mascara
Ending this list with another gem from Benefit – the They’re Real Beyond Mascara. This is a lengthening mascara and is available in two shades – jet black and beyond brown. It lengthens, curls, volumizes and lifts the lashes. In addition, the benefit offers a long-wearing formula with this mascara.
- The custom doomed-tip wand separates the lashes while adding length to individual lash hair.
- The long-lasting formula provides a smudge-free finish on the lashes
- Being tested through a survey, this mascara was found to be truly lengthening, volumizing, and long-lasting
- It comes in full size and mini size as well
This mascara’s glossy, the jet-black formula gives you silky lashes that don’t clump or dry out. The staggered bristles of the wand boost the length and add volume to the lashes beyond belief! Wiggle the wand side to side while coating the lashes from the base to the tip. Hold the wand horizontally while coating and vertically to separate the lashes.
Also Read – How to apply mascara for the perfect look
Side effects of using mascara
There have been numerous cases where mascara has created infections in the eyes, but it depends on the user’s level of hygiene. In addition, some mascaras may cause loss of eyelash hair after prolonged use (1). This is subject to the kind of mascara used and its ingredients.
Certain waterproof mascaras are difficult to remove and hence require more than double-cleansing. This may lead to dryness around the eyes, itching, rashes, etc. But again, all this depends on the type of product and water resistance.
Mascaras are the short-cut to voluminous and lengthy lashes as opposed to their expensive counterparts – false eyelashes and lash extensions. They prove to come in handy when you don’t have time to do an elaborate eye makeup look or draw a sharp liner. Mascaras have always been the number one choice to achieve fuller and thicker lashes without creating a hole in the pocket. But choosing the right one can be tricky, given the array of options available. Look for one that does the job and is easy to remove, because you don’t want raccoon eyes after makeup removal. We recommend knowing your preferences for mascara before investing in one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which is better – waterproof or water-resistant?
As stated earlier, both have their pros and cons. We recommend water-resistant for easy removal and waterproof for longevity.
What is the shelf-life of a mascara?
Mascara is best to be used within 3 months of opening. This is to minimize the risk of infections and reactions on the eyes.
- “Mascara induced milphosis, an etiological evaluation” – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov