Who doesn’t want to have a clear, blemish-free, glowing skin? But getting rid of all facial imperfections (especially acne,and breakouts) seems like an elusive goal to most of us. Well, with the widely popular Oil Cleansing Method’, it is not. Those who are tired of experimenting with commercial acne-curing products or prescription acne medications might find oil cleansing to be their biggest natural resolution. If you are skeptical about slathering your face with oil, we are here to guide you in the right direction by providing the right information. Give the rest of the post a read:
How Does The Oil Cleansing Method Work?
The primary concept of oil cleansing is based on the ‘like dissolves like’ rule found in chemistry. It refers to the fact that if there are two similar substances, they can dissolve each other or break each other down. In the oil cleansing method, the oil mixture used for massaging the skin will dissolve the excess oils / sebum accumulated on the skin along with the hardened impurities stuck in the pores. The steam or warm washcloth used during the process will open up the clogged pores so that all the oils are removed easily leaving a smooth, clean and acne-free skin.
Also Read – How to Rejuvenate Your Skin Using Oil Cleansing Here
Best Oils For the Oil Cleansing Method
Before knowing the step by step method of oil cleansing, it is critical to learning about the oils used in it. You cannot use just any oil from your kitchen to prevent and treat your acne and breakouts. We have listed down the most beneficial oils for cleansing:
- Castor Oil: The most commonly and widely used oil in the oil cleansing method is castor oil. It creates the base for the oil mixture. But make sure that you go for the 100% pure castor oil, or it may harm your skin extensively.
- Sweet Almond Oil: It restores the natural moisture of the skin, makes it softer, and soothes the inflammation caused by breakouts.
- Avocado Oil: It is loaded with vitamins (A, B1, B2, D, E) and essential fatty acids, which help in maintaining the oil balance in our skin, thereby curing a number of skin ailments.
- Hemp Seed Oil: Being very high in essential nutrients like proteins, vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, D, E), minerals, and antioxidants, hemp seed oil can nourish our skin while reducing acne.
- Grape Seed Oil: This oil is non-allergenic and hence, is highly effective for sensitive skin. It also penetrates our skin very well so that we get the maximum benefits easily.
Also Read – Homemade Facial Cleansing Oils to Suit Different Skin Types Here
Perfect Formula For The Oil Cleansing Method
It is also crucial to know the right formula or recipe in order to make your oil mixture work for the perfect cleansing. Following are the ideal ratios depending on the types of skin:
- For Dry Skin:- (Astringent oil : Conditioning oil) = (1:10)
- For Oily Skin:- (Astringent oil : Conditioning oil) = (1:3)
- For Combination Skin:- (Astringent oil : Conditioning oil) = (1:4)
However, these formulae can be adjusted based on the requirements. For a mixture that is too drying, the amount of the conditioning oil should be increased while a too greasy mixture can be rectified by increasing the amount of astringent oil in it.
Step By Step Method Of Oil Cleansing
Now, here is the step by step method of oil cleansing that one needs to follow for getting rid of acne:
Also Read – 10 amazing cleansing oils for beautiful skin Here
- Prepare the most suitable oil blend for your skin. Keep a clean washcloth and a soft towel handy.
- Get your face prepared for cleansing by dampening it with lukewarm water.
- Take half teaspoon of the oil blend onto your palm and rub them together to warm the oil up.
- Massage the warm oil into your skin by moving your fingers in small circles. Continue it up to 2 minutes so that the oil gets enough time to penetrate the skin. Make sure that you focus on the areas of the skin where the pores are clogged.
- Now, dip the towel in warm water, squeeze the excess water out of it, and fold it up to lock the heat in it.
- Also, wet the washcloth in super hot water (ensure that it doesn’t burn off your skin), wring out the excess water quickly, and spread the damp washcloth over your oil slathered face.
- Then, cover the washcloth with the warm, folded towel. This will seal the steam, which is extremely important to prevent the washcloth from cooling down fast.
- Wait until both the towel and the washcloth reaches the room temperature.
- After that, remove the towel and wipe the oil off your face by using the washcloth.
- Repeat the entire procedure twice more by using fresh washcloth and towel every time.
No matter how particular you are about the steps of oil cleansing method, if you do not use 100% pure oils for the blend, you will not get the best results. Hence, always check the quality of the oils you are using before getting your skin oil cleansed. All the best!
Image Credit – Featured, 1, 2, 3