PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in which women struggle with imbalanced hormones. It irregularises periods and creates problems related to pregnancy. It is a difficult syndrome to tackle by women as hormonal imbalance caused by it has severe and multifold effects.
In medical terms PCOS is caused by one hormone getting imbalanced and leading to other hormones being affected in one way or the other.
Some symptoms of PCOS are:
- Weight gain
- Facial hair growth
- Fertility problems
- Pregnancy problems
- Irregular periods
- Depression & Mood swings
- Body ache etc.
PCOS in Ayurveda is attributed to imbalance related to three doshas related to ayurvedic homors like Pitta (Known as Fire) and Kapha (Known as water). Through Ayurvedic treatments, PCOS is treated right at the root level that is at the level where imbalance is created. There are many types of medicines already available in Ayurveda to treat PCOS like:
- Chaste Berry (Also known as Vitex) – This is a herbal treatment and cures many types of imbalances in women since ages and is one of the best treatments available for PCOS. Vitex is suggested for PCOS patients only under supervision of an Ayurvedic doctor as even though it has immense treatment properties to eradicate PCOS completely by providing balance to the hormones by directly working on the Pituitary gland, however it is harmful when taken along with fertility treatments and contraceptive treatments or medications. This is the reason why this particular ayurvedic herb needs to be taken only under supervision.
- Dandelion Root – This is a Liver cleanser. A lot of menstrual/ hormonal problems are aggravated due to toxins being accumulated in the liver. Dandelion root is an excellent ayurvedic solution to tackle this toxin accumulation and helps to fight PCOS.
- Milk Thistle – This is again a Liver healing herb prevalent in Ayurvedic treatment of PCOS. This keeps the liver clean and helps to remove PCOS from the root by providing balance to hormones.
There are many other ayurvedic solutions to PCOS which are effective yet extremely easy on pockets. Few of them are listed above however Ayurveda also recommends the use of the following as well to fight PCOS and to treat it from its root.
- Karela/ Bitter Melon – This can be consumed as a curry or dry dish. It has remedial effects on PCOS.
- Fenugreek (Methi) – Methi has many benefits to your health. In PCOS, it helps to bring about a hormonal balance.
- Gurmar – It helps to fight PCOS and also keeps you blood sugar level in control.
- Nervines – This is available in tonic form and treats PCOS and also fights stress levels.
- Fibre – All kinds of fibrous food, fruits and vegetables are good for a hormonal balance and your diet should consist of more fibre as this helps to treat PCOS.
- Chromium Picolinate (200-400 mcg/day) – This is not a treatment directly for PCOS but helps to fight all PCOS symptoms.
- Psyllium – Taking half a spoon of Pysllium fibre each day helps to reduce your body’s hormonal imbalance.
- Paste made from 21 leaves each of neem, bael, tulsi during breakfast is a must have for all PCOS patients. It remedial and easy to make.
- A solution made of 1 tsp fenugreek seeds in a cup of water should be taken once in two days, this helps to keep PCOS symptoms in check.
- Darvyadi Kwatha decoction is beneficial as it regulates menstrual cycle.
- Ashokarishta helps fight PCOS by keep the Uterus clean and hormones in balance.
- Lohasava – It regularises menstrual cycle and is excellent for balancing periods.
- Vasarishta – It treats uterine muscle disorders and helps to fight PCOS.
- Ashoka Ghrita – this is highly recommended for thin and weak women suffering from PCOS.
- Loha Bhasma – This helps to increase haemoglobin level in PCOS sufferers.
- Sukumara Rasayana – This clears the channels in the body through clean air circulation and excretion.
- Sapthasaram Qwath – This is a natural female hormones corrector.
- Eranda Sukumaram – This helps to balance back the hormones in PCOS patients.
There are many treatments available medically for PCOS but Ayurveda seems to be the most ideal answer to this syndrome as per various researched and case studies. Nowadays women prefer to rely on ayurveda for the treatment of PCOS as unlike the various other lines of treatment; Ayurvedic treatments have no side effect and are long term in nature, apart from being cost effective.
Also Read –
How to Lose Weight Using Cinnamon Powder and Honey Here
Why You Shouldn’t Stop Taking Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) – 7 Reasons Here
Neem for Acne and Pimple Treatments Here
5 Home Remedies for Hair Removal Here
Image Credit – 1