Tummy tuck surgery, which is also known as abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery in which the surgeon removes excess fat and skin from around the abdomen area in order to make the abdomen appear more firm. If you have a sagging abdomen as a result of weight loss or a pregnancy, then a tummy tuck surgery will help you get back the firmness in the abdomen.
Who normally goes in for the surgery
- People with abdomens sagging due to age
- Women with sagging abdomens due to pregnancy.
- People who have had weight fluctuations leading to sagging tummy.
Price of the surgery
The average cost of the surgery is about $6000. The price may vary depending on the facility you are in and the extent of tucking you need.
Who is the surgery not for
- If you are planning to get pregnant in future, then a tummy tuck is not for you. It results in the loss of significant tissue that you might need for when you are carrying your baby.
- If you are intending to go on a diet that will fluctuate your weight and fat deposition in the body, then again, it is not for you. Further changes in the body will cause sagging of the tissue even more and nullify the effect of the surgery.
Preparing for a Tummy Tuck
First of all, evaluate if you absolutely need to go through it. Next, find a reputed plastic surgeon to do the procedure. You should quit smoking at least two weeks before the surgery. You can discuss with the surgeon what is the outcome that you desire from the procedure and then choose between getting a complete abdominoplasty or a partial one, depending on the areas that you want to get tucked.
Procedure of Tummy Tuck Surgery
The patient is given anesthesia. If it is a complete abdominoplasty, a horizontal incision from the hip-to-hip is made. Excess fat and tissue is removed through the incision and the weakened muscles are corrected by suturing. A partial abdominoplasty would need a smaller and more localized incision.
Once the fat is removed, the skin is sutured. Tapes or skin adhesives are used to close the incisions.
Post Surgery Implications and care
- You will notice pain in the abdomen for two weeks.
- Since the area is bandaged, you will need to limit physical activity for a month.
- You may need to wear a compression garment to support your tucked tummy while it recovers from the surgery.
- A tummy tuck does leave scars behind. It fades away with time, but until then, you have to deal with it.
Result of Tummy Tuck Surgery
The surgery results in a firmer and flatter abdomen. It will take you about two weeks to remove the bandages and for the swelling to reduce for you to see the result for yourself. You might have a few scars at the incisions which will take time to fade away. Otherwise, your tummy will be fitter and flatter.
- If not done correctly, the surgery may lead to bleeding and infections.
- It can cause skin discoloration.
- It can lead to body asymmetry if not done correctly.
Getting the surgery done is a personal choice, so make that judiciously. Ensure you go to a professional and well known surgeon if you decide to get one done.
Image credit: Featured, 1