Do you consider acne as the worst enemy of your skin? Do you keep experimenting with your facial cleansers in order to steer clear of unexpected breakouts? If both answers are ‘yes’, then the chance is big that you have already used dandruff shampoo for cleansing your face or at least heard about its potential as an acne treatment. Several researches have supported the fact and it has been discussed a lot too. So today, let us tell you all that you actually need to know about it:
Why to Use Dandruff Shampoo as Acne Treatment / Facial Cleanser?
There are basically two reasons behind the usage of dandruff shampoo for clearing up acne. We have listed them down:
- If you take a close look at the labels of various dandruff shampoos available in the market, you will find that most of them contain one or two active ingredients like ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide, etc., which serve the purposes of fungicides. They act on the fungus p.ovale and p.acne responsible for dandruff and acne respectively. As a result, the issue gets solved from the root.
- There are certain skin conditions like psoriasis, folliculitis, etc., which are actually caused by dandruff but are usually misdiagnosed as acne or breakouts. People, who are suffering from these conditions, can get rid of dandruff by using specific shampoos. It kills the fungi, keeps the pores cleaned and helps the follicles develop normally, thereby improving the condition of the skin significantly.
Also Read – Rubbing Alcohol for Acne: Good or Bad Here
How to Use Dandruff Shampoo as Acne Treatment / Facial Cleanser?
Now, let us tell you how to make the perfect use of a dandruff shampoo as a facial cleanser or for treating your acne:
- Take a dime-sized amount of dandruff shampoo on your palm and use it in a gentle manner to cleanse your face nicely. Do it only once a day and let your skin to get accustomed with the product slowly.
- Once you feel comfortable with the application of the shampoo as your face cleanser, increase the frequency of usage gradually. It can be used maximum 3 to 4 times a day on your skin depending upon the severity of your skin condition.
Also Read – The Great Garlic Debate: Can It Cure Your Acne? Here
Important Facts to Consider
The effectiveness of dandruff shampoo as a facial cleanser or acne treatment is already proved. But there are a few facts that should be taken into account while replacing your regular cleanser with it:
- Not all breakouts are acne. Even there are quite a few types of acne and not all of them are cured by dandruff shampoo. So, it is necessary to find out the nature of your breakouts and treat them accordingly.
- Not all acne are caused by dandruff. If there are other reasons behind those ugly skin eruptions, get in touch with an expert and diagnose them properly. It will help you know whether the dandruff shampoo will work for you or not.
- Not all dandruff shampoos are equally effective in cleansing skin or treating acne. It depends on the ingredients present in the products and their working procedures. So in the end, the results may vary to a great extent.
Image Credit – Featured, 1, 2