Anxiety and depression are a real medical conditions that plague many. Though it is not characterized as a ‘disability’, for some people living a normal life with anxiety disorders is next to impossible. A lot of patients suffering from anxiety disorders are recommended to continue anti-anxiety medication for the rest of their life. Nothing can prepare you for a life dependent on medications. Thankfully, you do not have to really depend on them. There are natural ways to ward off anxiety and depression, and prevent episodes from occurring frequently.
Natural essential oils have often been considered a great remedy for stress, anxiety and depression. Aromatherapy, an entire alternate therapy, is based on the power of these essential oils and their therapeutic benefits on the human mind and body. Essential oils themselves can be used in many different forms. You can apply them directly to your skin, ingest them or vaporize them. Not all oils are used in the same manner though. Some oils are so toxic that ingesting them could be fatal. Others are so warm, that applying them on your body could cause superficial burns on your skin. You can use each oil in a specific way. It is best to consult a medical professional or an aroma therapist before you begin using any of these essential oils. Though these oils are natural, it is best to use them safely to avoid any accidents or potential side effects.
Here are some of the most popularly used essential oils for anxiety and depression:
- Spruce, rosewood and frankincense: The combination of these three essential oils is known to lift mood and bring in balance. You can use a diffuser to vaporize this oil so that you can breathe it in and reap its benefits. This combination is an effective nerve tonic, and can effectively help you deal with depression, stress and anxiety.
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil is well known for its calming and soothing properties. By soothing your nerves, it helps you relax and promotes a good night’s sleep. You can pour a few drops of this essential oil on a handkerchief and keep it underneath your pillow before you go to sleep at night. The aroma from this oil relaxes you, bringing calm and peace so that you can have a peaceful and undisturbed sleep.
- Frankincense: This oil is often called the king of essential oils, and for good reason. The oil has many therapeutic benefits. Among this, is its ability to slow down breathing to increase lung capacity and the amount of oxygen in your body. When you breathe slowly and deeply, it not only improves your respiration, but also promotes relaxation. This essential oil can be used to allay anxiety, tension and fear. You can use it in a diffuser or pour a few drops of the oil on a handkerchief and smell it periodically.
- Wild Orange: Most citrus oils are known for their benefits in elevating mood. They are a great remedy for anxiety and anger. If you are feeling irritated or anxious, wild orange essential oil can give you an instant lift. Wild orange essential oil improves blood circulation and helps detoxify the body. Continued use of the essential oil can help you keep your liver and gall bladder healthy. You can even use lemon oil for this purpose.
- Bergamot: If you have been experiencing anxiety and insomnia, bergamot essential oil can be really helpful. This essential oil is especially recommended for those who experience mood swings. The oil helps relieve pent up nervous energies so you can focus away from nervous afflictions, addictions and other unproductive behaviours.
Nature has made a lot of essences available for the human body, but there seem to be even more of them for the human mind. If you feel depressed or anxious due to some reason, or if you have been diagnosed with a nervous disorder, these essential oils can certainly come to your rescue.
Image Credit – 1