The commonest services that ladies avail at salons are manicure and pedicure. Often they shy away from doing these themselves because they think both the procedures are complex and require professional expertise. However with a few hints and tips manicure and pedicure can be the best self indulgence exercise ever from the comfort of your home.
Why Manicure and Pedicure?
Keeping the hands and feet pampered reflects favorably on your personality. Manicure and pedicure are essential components of your routine cleaning and beauty maintenance regimen. Well trimmed nails and glowing skin on the hands and feet are certainly great confidence boosters! Often, ladies go for a manicure and/or pedicure not only because it is aesthetically essential but also because it is the best way to relax and take a small break from the pressures of real life on the body and mind.
Can Manicure and Pedicure be done at home?
A nail salon might offer a professional service and ambience but a great manicure and pedicure can be easily done in the comfort of your own home with a few tips from the beauty experts that will make the whole experience faster, easier, and the outcome more professional.
A gorgeous DIY manicure and pedicure at home saves money, time and the inconvenience of fixing salon appointments. Using natural products at home can make the processes both more organic and cost-effective.
Step-by-step approach to a Do-It-Yourself Manicure
- Get all the required things assembled at one place and play some soft music for added relaxing ambience.
- Begin by cleaning the nails and removing any old polish with a polish remover.
- File the nails gently using an emery board or nail file and round the edges slightly. Filing must always be done in a single direction and has to done gently and carefully if nails are thin or peel easily.
- The most flattering nail shape is considered to be squoval–that is something between a square and oval. You can achieve this by filing nails into a shape that looks like the curve of the nail base.
- Soak your hands in a mild solution of warm water and liquid soap and gently massage cuticle oil into the cuticles. Let the hands soak for a few minutes.
- Using a cuticle pusher to carefully push back cuticle overgrowth at the nail bed and trim sides of the nail with a clipper if needed.
- Massage a good hand cream or a homemade moisturiser to the finger tips.
- In order to remove oils, use the nail polish remover once again before applying a clear base coat that will hydrate the nails and reduce splitting or cracking.
- Apply chosen nail polish in two thin coats. Remember thick coats can look uneven and are more likely to chip faster
- Fix the smudges if any and wait for the top coat to dry.
Step-by-step approach to a Do-It-Yourself Pedicure
- Get all the things needed for the process in one place and find an ideal seat where you can easily bend to touch your feet.
- Begin by clipping any overgrown nails and removing any old polish using a nail polish remover.
- Take a minute to examine your nails to ensure they look healthy and are in a good shape.
- If you have any stubborn calluses, remove them using a dry-skin file but if there are multiple issues like cracked soles, calluses, corns, then it is time to meet a podiatrist.
- Soak your feet in a solution of warm water and mild soap for about 10 minutes before beginning the exfoliation using a grainy scrub on feet, heels, and lower part of the legs.
- Wipe away the dead skin that you exfoliate and then gently push back cuticles and clean the toenails from beneath.
- Massage one foot and leg at a time with cream followed by a cleaning of nail beds again with a nail polish remover.
- Paint on a base coat followed by two coats of your favourite colour, and wait for about 20 minutes for nails to dry.
Handy tips for DIY manicure and pedicure at home
For a DIY manicure and /or pedicure you must sterilize all tools used after each use. Regularly apply a thin coat of nail polish every alternate day or so to make the manicure/pedicure last longer. You must never ignore a serious issue like an in-growing nail or a damaged cuticle because it could cause a serious infection later.
Confidently attempt manicure-pedicure at home and be your own beauty stylist. Now you don’t need to run to the nail salon every time and blow up big bucks on these simple and pampering activities that certainly are essential in your beauty regimen!
Image Credit – Featured Image, 1, 2