Does ‘sea salt’ or ‘bay salt’ only mean tastier food to you? Well, instead of using as a gourmet, you can include this compound in your regular beauty routine too. The salt is prepared by evaporating the seawater, which makes it full of natural minerals as well as exfoliants. Hence, you can make a facial scrub with it and get rid of pesky acne by using that regularly. Here is all you need to know about sea salt facial scrubs to eliminate acne completely.
Why to Use Sea Salt for Acne?
You may have heard about a lot of natural ingredients that can help you treat acne effectively. So, if you wonder why you should give these salt crystals a try for curing those ugly breakouts, here is the answer for you:
- Sea salt is a powerful antibacterial agent that can put a stop to infections and speed up the process of healing wounds.
- It dehydrates the acne-causing bacteria through a procedure named ‘osmosis’ in which a hypertonic environment is created.
- The high mineral content, especially the magnesium, of the salt helps in maintaining the water balance of the skin, thereby limiting the overproduction of oil glands and keeping the skin soft naturally.
- It can reduce the formation of scars and pits caused by acne.
- It increases the circulation of blood throughout the skin, which results into lesser breakouts.
- Sea salt is rich in nutrients that are essential for the good health of our skin.
Also Read – Get Rid of Stubborn Acne with Honey and Cinnamon Mask Here
3 Different Types of Sea Salt Scrubs
From a simple scrub to an advanced therapeutic exfoliant, sea salt can be used in a number of ways to treat acne. Here are 3 most common sea salt scrub recipes that you should try at your home:
- Sea salt – 1 tablespoon
- Warm water – 1 teaspoon
Create an uneven paste by combining both of the ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Dip a cotton ball into it and apply all over your face. Scrub gently in a circular motion with the ball or your fingertips. IT may give a stinging sensation for the first few days. However, you can notice the change after using it 3-4 weeks continuously.
- Sea salt powder – 2 tablespoons
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) – 1 tablespoon
- Essential oil – 5 drops
Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend well. It should form a smooth moist mixture. You can use lavender, chamomile or any other essential oil of your choice. It boosts the antimicrobial properties of your sea salt scrub and gives you better outcomes. The application is similar to the previous one. Wash it off with lukewarm water after 5-7 minutes.
- Sea salt powder – 3 tablespoons
- Raw honey – 1tablespoon
- Aloe vera gel – 1 tablespoon
- Tea tree oil – 5 drops
Take the fine sea salt powder, pure raw honey and fresh aloe vera gel in a small bowl. Mix them well. Add the tea tree oil to it. Now, scrub your skin with it gently in circular motions. Make sure that you open your pores with hot steam prior to applying the scrub.
Also Read – Get the Sexy Beach Waves Easily With Sea Salt Spray Here
A Few Important Tips
- If your skin gets dry or itchy, stop using sea salt scrubs immediately. Otherwise, you will end up developing severe inflammation due to the alkalinity of the salt.
- While scrubbing your skin with sea salt, be as gentle as possible. It will help you avoid all sorts of irritation or redness.
- Avoid open wounds and eye areas while exfoliating your skin with sea salt scrubs.
- For better results, add a little turmeric powder or tea tree oil to your sea salt scrub. These natural mixtures would help you get rid of acne faster.