Yogurt or dahi is a versatile ingredient that can add a zing to almost all dishes. And when it is combined with chicken, the whole thing becomes an amazing delicacy. Today, I’m going to share such a hot and spicy recipe with you, which is popularly known as ‘Dahi Chicken’ or ‘Dahi Murg’ or ‘Yogurt Chicken’. It is basically spicy chicken cooked in yogurt sauce. Sounds mouthwatering? It really is. Check out the recipe here:
Servings for: 6 persons
- Preparation Time: 35 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Chicken – 1 kg. or 2 lbs
- Fresh plain yogurt / dahi – 3 cups
- Onion – 2 small or 1 big
- Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 3 large and ripe
- Green chilies – 2 to 3 medium-sized
- Whole cumin seeds / jeera – a handful
- Cumin seed / zeera powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander / dhania powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric / haldi powder – (1/2) teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 2 teaspoons
- Pepper powder – 1 tablespoon
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cooking oil – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – as per taste
- Mint leaves – 2 to 3
- Coriander leaves / curry leaves – a handful
- Whole Garam Masala
Method of Preparation:
1. Choosing skinless and boneless chicken is always the best option for preparing this dish. However, if you wish, you can go for chicken with bones too. There is no size specification for the pieces. So, get them cut into small, bitable sections. Now, clean the chicken pieces by placing them under running water and washing thoroughly. Chop the onions finely so that it fills almost a cup. Also, puree the tomatoes properly.
2. Take a large mixing bowl for preparing the marinade for the chicken. Beat the fresh dahi nicely and pour it into the bowl. Add all dry masala powders, such as jeera powder, dhania powder, haldi powder, red chili powder, pepper powder, and garam masala powder to it one by one. Mix all the ingredients well with the help of a spoon.
3. Put the chicken pieces into the marinade and coat them nicely with it. Use your hands to do this in a better way. Also, put slit green chilies into this mixture. Once you are done with it, place the mixing bowl inside the refrigerator at least for 30 minutes.
4. In order to start cooking, take a large skillet and place them on the oven over medium heat. Pour cooking oil into it. When the oil gets heated, add jeera and whole garam masala to it. The garam masala mix should contain 4 cloves, 1(1/2) cinnamons and 2 bay leaves. Fry them a bit until a nice aroma starts to come.
5. Now, add the finely chopped onions to the skillet and sauté for a few minutes. When they become soft and translucent, add ginger paste, garlic paste and tomato puree to them. Stir the whole thing for a couple of minutes. As soon as the oil starts separating from the ingredients, add the marinated chicken to the mixture.
6. Put salt and shredded mint leaves in the skillet and blend everything together with the help of a spoon. Cook for a minute or two. Place the lid over the skillet and lower the heat to some extent. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes so that the chicken pieces get boiled and become soft. Do not forget to blend the entire thing from time to time.
7. Finally, turn off the heat and shift the item to a serving dish. Garnish with minced coriander leaves or curry leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
Do try it out and let us know about your experience.