Waxing is one of the most effective ways of hair removal- the removal lasts longer, helps you get rid of tanning and gives you smooth skin. However, before you head to the salon for a session of hair removal through waxing, make sure that you follow a few pre-waxing rituals in order to make the session less painful and more efficient. Also, one has to follow certain steps after waxing too. We list here the pre and post waxing care methods for your skin that you should remember to follow every time you get your skin waxed.
Remember these before you wax :
- Check your skin where you want hair removal by waxing. If you have any breakouts or inflammation, it is best to postpone.
- Avoid too much sun exposure a day or two before your planned waxing session.
- Avoid waxing anytime around a week before your periods since the nerve ends in the body are sensitive around this time.
- Allow at least 3 weeks between your waxing sessions to allow your hair to grow to the optimum length for waxing.
- Do not use any lotion or oil on the skin on the day of the waxing.
- Best to get the waxing done in the morning itself, after a good bath. That way, there will not be much natural oil build up in the skin.
- Exfoliate the to-be-waxed area one day prior to your waxing appointment. This will ensure a cleaner wax removal.
- If you want, you can take a mild pain killer before you head for your appointment. That way, you can be sure that there is going to be no stinging pain.
OK, so now you have survived the ordeal and the waxing has been done, how do you care for your skin?
Also Read – Waxing vs. Epilators – Which is a better method of hair removal? Here
Post-wax skin care:
- Avoid heat. Waxing exfoliates the skin and makes it very sensitive to heat and light. So after a wax, avoid going out in the sun to prevent any chance of extreme tanning or sunburn.
- Waxing causes inflammation of skin in most people. Apply some ice on the waxed area to soothe any burning sensation or irritation.
- The ice will also help close the pores that have opened up during the wax.
- Do not use any deodorant on the waxed area for 24 hours.
- It is best to have a lukewarm shower to get rid of any wax that is remaining on the skin.
- One day after the waxing, when the bumps have reduced, gently exfoliate your skin. This is the best way to get rid of any ingrown hair. Use a home-made exfoliator that is gentle on the skin and wipe it out with a wash cloth.
- Avoid swimming for a day after the waxing has been done.
- Applying aloe vera on inflamed skin is a good way to soothe your skin.
For a day after waxing, avoid using any lotions on the skin or make up on the face if your face has been waxed.