‘Bread chat’ – what does it actually mean to you? A fast and easy recipe? A tasty evening snack? A spicy, tangy and mouthwatering chat? Well, it means all of these to me. It is kind a savior for me when I crave for something delectable. You can always add your own favorite ingredients for making your own version, but here is how you can prepare this dish in a traditional way. Check it out:
Servings for: 5 to 6 persons
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
(a) For Main Recipe:
- Bread – 6 slices
- Curd – 4 tablespoons
- Potato – 2 medium-sized
- Onion – 2 medium-sized
- Tomato – 1 large
- Lemon – 1 (juice)
- Green chilies – 2 to 3
- Garlic – 6 small cloves
- Chili powder – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin powder – 3 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Amchoor powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves – a handful
- Fresh mint leaves – a handful
- Salt – as per taste
- Cooking oil – 4 to 5 tablespoons
- Chaat masala powder – a pinch
- Water – 2 cups
(b) For Topping:
- Sev – 200 gm. for topping
(c ) For Serving:
- Green mint chutney
- Sweet tamarind chutney
Method of Preparation:
1. Bread slices are the main ingredient of this simple and easy snack. However, if you wish, you can also use a small loaf and cut it into equally thin pieces. Usually, bread that is a couple of day old is used for making this chat. You have to discard its brown edges carefully and make small pieces of it. Beat the curd nicely and pour it over the bread pieces. Use your hands to make sure that both are combined with each other. Leave it as it is for 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Take a small sauce pan and pour water into it. Put the potatoes in it and place it on the oven over medium heat. Once they get boiled, peel them carefully. Now, cut the boiled potatoes into small cubical pieces.
3. Peel and chop up the onions. Make long thin slices of the tomato. Mince green chilies and garlic cloves. Also, shred mint and coriander leaves finely. Then, take an electric blender and put all these ingredients into it. Pour a little water and make a smooth paste.
4. Now, it is time for cooking. Take a small skillet and place it over medium heat. Pour cooking oil into it. After a couple of minutes, put the boiled potato cubes in the heated oil. Keep tossing until they get a nice golden color.
5. Pour the tomato-onion paste over the potatoes and mix them well. Also, add chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, amchoor powder and salt to the mixture. Stir for 2 to 3 minutes. After that, add the curd-soaked bread pieces to the skillet. Toss for another 2 minutes and then turn off the heat.
6. Transfer the entire thing to a serving bowl. Squeeze out the juice of the lemon over it and sprinkle some chat masala. Finally top it with sev.
Your delicious bread chat is absolutely ready. Serve it hot with green mint chutney and sweet tamarind chutney to make it even tastier.
Also Read – How to Prepare Hot and Spicy Dahi Chicken Here