People often call eyes the windows to the soul. Your eyes are also what people notice the first when they meet you in person. How warm or cold you are all get reflected through your eyes. You can differentiate between a genuine smile and a fake one just by looking at a person’s eyes – you can see the corners of the eye crinkle if it’s a genuine smile. (1)
When you’re happy, your eyes have a shine to them, and when you are sad, it reflects on your face through your eyes. But not everyone is blessed with big eyes. And that is why some people go to lengths to make their eyes look pleasing, including treatments that often cost them a fortune.
In this article here, we’ll try and help you find ways to make your eyes look bigger with make-up that is natural, delicate, and not cakey at all. Some of the techniques might be new to you and hence, a little difficult to follow. But like they say, practice makes a man perfect, keep trying, and you’ll surely get the hang of it.
Also Read – Find home remedies for dark circles
Stick to the Routine
But before we start with the make-up techniques, you need to know that for any eyes to look sharp and beautiful, there are a few routine habits that you need to inculcate in your life. These will ensure a healthy glow on the face and brighter, sparkly eyes.
Get a Good Sleep: Sleep is one of the most critical factors to get bright eyes. If you’ve adequately slept – at least 5 hours in the night, going up to 7 – you are bound to shine the next morning. Your eyes need a good, relaxing night’s sleep to rejuvenate them and to avoid red, puffy eyes the next morning. (2) So, make sure you follow a good sleeping pattern, ideally sleep at a fixed time no later than 10 pm to get your proper quota of sleep. Good sleep also ensures healthy-looking skin, so reap the benefits of quality snooze!
Stay Hydrated: 60 percent of the adult human body is water. So, there’s no denying that water plays a crucial role even when it comes to the eyes. But have you ever noticed your face when you’re dehydrated? Of course, the first thing to happen is for your eyes to get puffy.
Dehydration causes the under-eye area to swell up and make your eyes look smaller and unhealthy. It is recommended that a grown person drinks about eight glasses of water each day. Drink it between your calls, before and after your workout, and even during a casual stroll in the park. Keeping yourself hydrated has multiple benefits, one of which is making you look more awake.
Get a Good Eye Cream: Like you keep your face moisturized to make it look radiant and healthy, it is essential to invest in a good eye cream to keep your eyes in good condition. The area around our eyes is sensitive, and specialized eye cream is mild and perfect for such delicate places. Moisturize your eyes daily, especially before you go to bed – this is the longest time when your face is at rest – and see them look bold and beautiful the next morning. Some of these creams also work on the wrinkles around the eyes, making them smoother with each application. Hence, a youthful look for better-looking eyes! Massaging your eyes regularly also improves the blood flow around the eyes and makes the area smoother. Just ensure it is a mild cream that is not laden with chemicals.
Work Out: So, you work out every day to keep fit. Why not work your eyes too? Just like your body, your eyes, too need a regular workout. Exercising helps strengthen the eye muscles and also improves vision. You can do the basic directional exercises, where you look in all the directions (one at a time) without moving your head.
You can also consult your eye doctor to understand what works the most for you. These exercises can be done at any time of the day, even when you’re taking a break from looking at your workstation.
The Magic of Eye Make-up
So now that you’ve taken care of the basics, here are some ways in which make-up can help you enhance your eyes. These easy-to-follow tips can work wonders even on days when you’re under the weather and feeling low but have to appear for an important event. Read on to know more:
1. Conceal: Dark circles are a part of any woman’s life. Despite a timely sleep, there are still chances that you might wake up looking like a zombie – multiple factors come into play here, such as a night of disturbed sleep or a stressful day. As we are all aware that dark circles make our eyes look smaller, we need to work our way around this patchy area to make the eyes stand out.
- Start with cucumber slices and place them on your eyes to reduce inflammation.
- You can alternatively use ice cubes to reduce the puffiness and make the skin lighter under the eyes.
- Then apply a concealer underneath and around your eyes to give it complete coverage. This will also create a flawless base for your eye make-up, and your eye shadow and mascara will shine out.
2. Eye Shadow: Always use a nude shade or a brown in the crease to give your eyes more dimension.
- Apply a darker shade on the outer corner and a lighter tone of it in the inner corner of the lid.
- Blend them using a brush to make your eyes look bolder. A nude or a brown gives an illusion of having big eyes by making the crease look prominent. Ditch your sparkly shades and go for the nudes on days when your eyes are all droopy and in much need of upliftment.
Fun fact: One of the most common cosmetic injuries is poking the eyeball with a mascara wand.
3. Eyebrows: Half the battle for big eyes is won when you’ve well-shaped eyebrows. Unkempt eyebrows not just make you look unsightly but also draw the focus away from the eyes.
- Apart from getting them threaded or plucked, you can try using a pencil to give them the perfect color and shape.
- Start from the outer end and gently move up, filling in the gaps. A pencil ensures that your eyebrows look filled-up and thick and make your eyes bold and big.
4. Eyelashes: You might find this a bit extravagant, but curling your eyelashes gives your eyes an instant lift. Curled eyelashes increase the wideness of your eyes and automatically make them look bigger.
- Just before you apply that final dose of mascara, curl up your lashes for bolder eyes.
- Start at the base of your lashes and hold your curler for not more than 3 seconds in place.
- This time, look for a good eyelash curler and see your eyes open up.
5. Eyeliner: Use white eyeliner or a white eye shadow to make your eyes pop and look more prominent.
- Dot the white color in the inner corner of the eyes and smudge it gently with your fingers to soften the white near your eyes. This opens up your eyes in comparison to the usual black.
- If you’re feeling bolder, go for a white shimmer for a more glamorous look.
- If you’re not in the mood for an intense shade, go for a nude or beige color in the inner corner of the eyes.
Whichever tint you pick, make sure you use black mascara for a real look that doesn’t look too dramatic.
6. Winged eyeliner: This has been a favorite of make-up artists for some time now, and there’s a reason why. The fiery cat-eye look is the most effective way to make your eyes look bigger, which is quite a task to get. Watch some videos and try it out a few times before you go for it in public.
- A different version of it, reverse cat-eye, was made popular by Indian actress Deepika Padukone, who created waves when she wore the look at the Cannes red carpet in 2019. Whatever your pick, winged eyeliner is a total game-changer but also a challenging trick to try.
Say bye-bye to smoky eyes and hello to browns and nudes. The new age eye contouring is all about being subtle with the shades and over-the-top with the styling. For years, women have experimented with techniques to make their eyes look bigger and bolder. Let’s try some fun tricks to enhance those droopy eyes and make them look dramatic. Start with the basics of getting enough sleep, the right nutrition, and enough water to keep your eyes in good, healthy condition. Then work your way up with effective make-up to make them look glamorous and attractive. Start with a concealer to patch those dark circles up, and then move on to apply nude shade to the crease and winged eyeliner for a catty look. Curl up those lashes and slather on the mascara to make them look bigger. And finally, darken those brows to make your eyes look deeper and wider. Simple and effective, these tips are your ticket to bigger and bolder eyes. Try them and then thank us!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do false eyelashes make eyes look bigger?
Yes, they do. If you want to attract more attention to your eyes, false eyelashes work the best. They give your eyes a bigger frame than your curled-up eyelashes. There’s a variety of false eyelashes available in the market; choose as per your need.
Can I use an eye mask in case of puffed-up eyes?
Yes, you can. Eye masks are great to reduce inflammation around your eyes and make the skin softer. You can also use an ice cube in case you don’t have an eye mask.