Today I’m going to share with you the recipe of a light yet amazingly tasty dish from Assam. ‘Fish Tenga’ or tangy fish is basically one of the signature delicacies from the beautiful state of North-East India. Be it hot summer or chilly winter, this exclusive dish can always be the perfect choice to treat your taste buds in a savory manner. Read more about the recipe here:
Servings for: 6 persons
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Fresh Rohu fish – 6 large pieces
- Mustard oil – 1(1/2) cups
- Semi-ripe tomato – 8 large
- Lemon – 1
- Green chilies – 2
- Turmeric powder – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds – (1/4) teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – (1/4) teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Fresh coriander leaves – a handful
- Water – 2 cups
Method of Preparation:
1. Clean and wash fish pieces under running water. Pat them dry. Shift them to a large mixing bowl. Now, mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of salt with them. Use your hand for marinating the fish properly. Set the bowl aside at least for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, chop the semi-ripe tomatoes into long thin slices and mince the green chilies. Also, shred the coriander leaves finely.
3. As soon as you feel that your fish pieces are completely marinated, get ready for cooking. Take a large wok and place it on the oven. The flame must be medium to start with. Pour some mustard oil into the wok and let it heat up. Then, add the marinated fish pieces to the wok and fry in such a manner that they get a nice golden brown colour. Once you are done with it, transfer the fried fish pieces to a plate and keep aside.
4. Now have a look at your wok. It still has some oil in it, right? Well, use it up for preparing the curry. Put mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in the oil and wait for a few seconds. When they start to crackle, add thin tomato slices to the wok. Sauté for a minute or so. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to the tomatoes and stir the entire thing gently for a few minutes.
5. After that, adjust the flame to low and let the tomatoes get cooked by placing a lid over the wok. Nonetheless, you have to remove the lid from time to time and stir lightly. It would turn the tomatoes into thick condensed pulp.
6. Once the tomatoes are done, add chopped green chilies and some salt to them. Also, pour water into the wok and allow the mixture to boil. After 3 to 4 minutes, your gravy will get absolutely ready.
7. Now, put the fried fish pieces in the wok and coat them with the gravy nicely. Remember that your gravy must be of moderate consistency. You have to be careful so that it does not become too runny or too thick. Cover the wok once again and cook the fish for 12 to 15 minutes.
8. Squeeze the lemon and mix the juice well with the gravy. Also, sprinkle the chopped coriander over the fish pieces. Leave it as it is for 3 to 4 minutes and then take the wok out of the heat. The simple and delicious fish tenga is ready!
This traditional dish is mainly prepared by using Rohu fish. But you can also opt for other similar fish that are found in sweet water. Make sure that the fish is fresh enough. It will add a wonderful taste and flavor to the dish.
Use enough tomatoes to prepare fish tenga. The tangy taste of the vegetable is essential to cook the dish perfectly.
Also Read – 3 Simple and Delicious Assamese Veg Khar Recipes Here