Barley Water is a beverage made by boiling barley in water. It makes for a refreshing drink when slightly sweetened and finished off with a dash of lime. Barley Water has a number of health benefits that could surprise you. We tell you how to make Barley water and all the health benefits associated with it.
How to make Barley Water
To make one serving, take two tsp full of barley in a saucepan and add to it a cup of water. Boil the mixture well until the barley softens. Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth. Once it cools down, it can be consumed as is or with some flavoring of your choice. You can even make it in large quantities and store. To do so, simply boil about a kilogram of barley in double its amount of water until soft. Strain it well, cool and transfer into a bottle. It keeps well under refrigeration. Drink this once or twice in a day.
What Barley to use?
You have the choice between whole hulled barley and pearled. While the former has more fiber content and takes time to cook, the latter is easy to cook.
Health Benefits of Barley Water
- The beta-glucan that is present in barley helps in flushing out toxins from the body while helping in bowel movement, reducing the risk of hemorrhoids. It automatically relieves you of constipation and keeps the intestines clean, thereby lowering the possibility of colon cancer.
- It acts as a diuretic, flushing out any retained water and toxins through the urine.
- It is also known to reduce the heat content in the body when it is consumed during the summer months. Since it is a coolant, if you are suffering from a burning sensation in your stomach from eating spicy food, drinking barley water will help soothe the burn.
- Barley is anti-inflammatory. People suffering from arthritis and joint pains have reported relief upon drinking Barley water.
- The beta-glucan also helps in slowing down the absorption of glucose in the body, thereby preventing any spike in the blood sugar levels. This means that if you are diabetic, drinking barley water is the key to keep your sugar level under check.
- Drinking a glass of this water will compensate for your daily requirement of dietary fiber.
- Its high fiber content helps in lowering the cholesterol levels in the body. This by itself makes your heart healthier.
- Barley is known to reduce the blood pressure levels and hence its water is very beneficial for pregnant women who want to keep their blood pressure under control. It also prevents the occurrence of swollen feet.
- Also, it prevents gestational diabetes and yeast and urinary infections in pregnant women.
- If you are breastfeeding, then drinking a cup of barley water in a day will help you in lactation and also improve digestion of both the mother and the baby.
- Barley Water is an excellent remedy for kidney stones. Drinking a glassful everyday will help flush out any stones in the kidney and will also keep your kidneys in top shape.
- Most importantly, barley water helps you with weight loss. Its fiber content makes you feel fuller for a long time and also it breaks down the sugar you have consumed over a period of time, releasing spurts of energy through the day. It also boosts your digestion and metabolism, helping you lose weight faster. Drink a cup in the morning and another in the evening for best results.
Now that we have listed so many health benefits, make your glass of Barley water and say cheers to good health.
Also Read – Benefits of Barley for great Skin, Hair and Health Here