Unwanted hair removal is a constant routine for girls and so it is common that girls wish to go for a hair removal options that is effective for a longer time. That’s the reason laser hair removal has gained a lot of popularity off late. Shaving, waxing or tweezing are the other options of hair removal but if you are not really satisfied with the results of these options there is no harm in trying out laser hair removal treatment. Laser hair removal is particularly becoming very popular in the U.S.
What is laser hair removal?
In laser hair removal procedure, pulsed light target the melanin in the hair. The highly concentrated light is targeted at the hair follicle, where the melanin absorbs the light and thus it destroys the hair.
Also Read – 5 Home Remedies for Hair Removal Here
Benefits of the laser hair removal procedure
- Removes unwanted hair from face, arm, leg, bikini line as well as other areas
- Most of the patients have permanent hair loss post 3 to 5 sessions.
- Lasers are useful to target dark, coarse hair and it does not cause any damage to the surrounding area.
- The speed of lasers is great. It takes just a fraction of a second to treat much hair at the same time.
- Lasers will be able to treat an area that is approximately the size of a quarter every second like for instance, upper lip- it can be treated in less than a minute. Other areas like legs or back take an hour to be treated.
Things to take care of prior to laser hair removal procedure:
- Laser hair removal is a medical procedure and it should be performed by a professional only. So prior to the laser hair removal procedure, make sure you approach a good doctor.
- Six weeks prior to the laser hair removal procedure you must stop or limit waxing, plucking etc. This is because lasers target the hair roots and waxing or shaving temporarily removes the hair root.
- Sun exposure also has to be avoided for six weeks prior to the treatment.
Laser hair removal- the procedure:
- Prior to the procedure, the hair of the area to be treated will be trimmed few millimeters above the skin. The adjustment in the laser equipment will be done as per color, location and thickness of your hair and your skin.
- A safety eye protection glasses will be given to you prior to the treatment.
- A cooling gel will be applied on the area and then a pulse of light will be beamed to the target area.
- Post the laser hair removal ice packs, cold water, or anti-inflammatory creams will be given to you. Your next sitting will happen four to six weeks later.
Also Read – 8 Biggest Hair Removal Mistakes You Must Steer Clear of Here
Laser treatment is definitely not cheap. The cost will depend on the area to be treated. It can range from $200 to $2,000 a session, excluding tax.
The hair starts to fall out within 10- 14 days.
How many sessions will be required?
The average number of sitting required to see permanent hair reduction is 4 to 6 sessions however some people might respond better and may need just 2 sessions and others may need 10 or 12 sessions too.
Risks and side effects:
- If the laser hair removal is not performed correctly then it can lead to various risks.
- Disfiguring injuries can be a result of laser hair removal treatment
- Severe burns in sensitive areas like upper lip, bikini line etc can take place. If laser hair removal in done improperly then it can result in burning the skin. Therefore it is extremely important to go to an experienced person for the treatment.
- Skin tone changes: Another important side effect of laser hair removal is hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation. Laser can many a times stimulate melanin production which creates a reaction which is similar to getting a suntan.
Also Read – DIY Laser Hair Removal in the Comfort of Your Home Here
Image Credit – Featured, 1